A few more osprey shots

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ralph

Supporting Member
Marketplace
5A6E0A08-455D-4231-8333-6425E61D56D2.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

996AD520-771E-4A59-AAD4-387DB28C1598.jpeg
25919533-ADCF-4080-94E4-75085F011BA0.jpeg

Is that a nesting box that was put up? I see wood at one end of nest. I haven't had a fishing shot under my belt yet. Maybe this summer. I saw them diving at Jenner where Russian river meets the Pacific. I may have to stake it out for a whole day but that patience thing everyone keeps bringing up seems to not be in my genes. I did catch a seal with a fish that day, my streak of no fish osprey continues.

Nice shots, Ralph. Now for some osprey fishing shots..... :)
Wish I could get such close-up clear osprey images.
Thanks Rassie. Yes, I have to locate the areas where they are getting there fish. It’s definely on my list. I did get some shots of one osprey attacking another with a fish but I had a bad angle. Nothing worth posting.

Is that a nesting box that was put up? I see wood at one end of nest. I haven't had a fishing shot under my belt yet. Maybe this summer. I saw them diving at Jenner where Russian river meets the Pacific. I may have to stake it out for a whole day but that patience thing everyone keeps bringing up seems to not be in my genes. I did catch a seal with a fish that day, my streak of no fish osprey continues.
Yes Kurt, the nest are on platforms. There are several of them. They range from 100 to 200 feet away from the road. I have find a location where they are diving for fish and stake it out. As of now I haven‘t had much luck locating it.

Yes Kurt, the nest are on platforms. There are several of them. They range from 100 to 200 feet away from the road. I have find a location where they are diving for fish and stake it out. As of now I haven‘t had much luck locating it.
Have you tried looking for a body of water near there on Google Maps?

Nice shots, Ralph. Now for some osprey fishing shots..... :)
Wish I could get such close-up clear osprey images.
Rassie, if you end up spending more time in Florida, you should get many chances to do so. I do believe that the Osprey is the most abundant bird of prey in Florida. I'm trying to get down to South Forida in about 2-3 weeks to visit a couple of Osprey hotspots! If only work will cooperate!

Have you tried looking for a body of water near there on Google Maps?
Rassie, there is water everywhere. That’s the problem. It’s a wetlands refuge. I did find one searching one of the ponds but it never made a dive. I think I’m going to need a little luck.

Nice shots, the one on the nest looks grumpy, probably didn't have her morning coffee! Water isn't the problem, it's where the fish are. I've got lots of water around but there are only a few areas where that water has fish in the right places. The fish have to be within a certain size, too small and they slip thru the talons, too big and the osprey can't get them out of the water. Too deep and they can't grab them and if in a dense school, they need to wait for strays as diving into a dense mass of fish can injure the osprey.

Very nice sir. Can't remember how many times over the years I've seen an osprey dive and not catch a fish. If they're like many/most predators it's abut a 10:1 ratio. Afraid I'm like KurtT -- not enough patience to sit for long.

Nice shots, the one on the nest looks grumpy, probably didn't have her morning coffee! Water isn't the problem, it's where the fish are. I've got lots of water around but there are only a few areas where that water has fish in the right places. The fish have to be within a certain size, too small and they slip thru the talons, too big and the osprey can't get them out of the water. Too deep and they can't grab them and if in a dense school, they need to wait for strays as diving into a dense mass of fish can injure the osprey.
Yup. There are some other nest closer to home where I may be able to find their hunting grounds. I’ll have to give it a look. Thanks

Very nice sir. Can't remember how many times over the years I've seen an osprey dive and not catch a fish. If they're like many/most predators it's abut a 10:1 ratio. Afraid I'm like KurtT -- not enough patience to sit for long.
Thanks Woody. The one time I saw one dive in I didn’t have a camera. It pulled out a flounder so large it almost didn’t make it out of the water. It finally succeeded and made a meal out of it on top of a light post.

Back