A few questions about Topaz and how to fit it into a workflow

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

SCoombs

I hate to make a whole other thread when there's already a Topaz one on the first page, but my questions seem distinct enough that I feel like I really should.

To make a long story short, I finally broke down and purchased Topaz Ai, along with the 3 standalones, as part of their Black Friday sale today. This is after I would up shooting a weekend long event where the lighting was poor enough that a sufficient number of shots I want/need had slightly missed focus or have motion blur due to having to keep shutter speeds at least around 1/200 to get an ISO I knew I could work with. After playing with the trial I found that almost all of these shots are absolutely workable and will produce worthwhile results with Topaz's sharpening. Once I tried actually using the full version to save photos, I found myself fairly confused as to how exactly to go about it.

First, I want to use LrC's denoise, which I just think is much better. To me the Topaz denoise leaves everything looking like vinyl. That seemed simple enough except that whenever I try to open a denoised image from Lr it opens with an enormous amount of noise, especially chromatic noise. Even if Lr's output was spectacular and it is that output version of the file I go to open in Topaz, Topaz opens what looks like the original RAW file which has had no denoising, even the basic Luminance and Chromatic sliders, applied. Is there a way to avoid this?

Second, the consequence to this has been that I have to denoise from LR, do most of my edits, and then export as a JPEG which I then open in Topaz standalone. When I do this, it looks great and I can sharpen as required. However, I then need to export this as a SECOND JPEG. Then, I will sometimes have to go into Photoshop there is some small part of Topaz's work I want to adjust. For instance, I was just working on a photo of a girl where the sharpening looked good overall except it made one of her teeth look very wrong and unflattering so I wanted to go into Photoshop to clean that up. I can then output the final version from PS with the watermark - except I need to also save the PSD file somewhere so that I have access to the final edit without the watermark.

This is producing four or five separate files for each photo I need to do this to which is in addition to taking up disk space is just a mess to try to keep organized. Is there a better workflow that would avoid all of this - or at least some of it?

LrC denoise
Open denoise dng in PS
Open Topaz from PS (which becomes a layer)
Do any adjustments in PS
Save image (goes to LrC as tiff)
Delete dng file in LrC
End up with stacked raw and tiff
Output jpeg from tiff in LrC if desired

Back