A little help or advice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello my name is Carlos Saez im new to the forum but i have watched Steve videos for some years now.

I wanted to ask all of you or the ones who can give me adivce of what to do with my gear next, i have a D500 and a D610 i do a lot of wildlife photography (later i will upload some photos) Ok so the question is whats the best option to get i was about to buy a z6ii because of the video AF i want to start making more videos but i can also get a d850 and to me for pure sills only side the d850 would be better but i also have the D500 maybe i could get the z6ii now and later sell the d500 and get a d850¿? the z7ii is out of my reach for now so that why im not talking about it.

Sorry for my english not sure if i made a mistake writing this.

Have a good day all!

If you need a new camera for mostly video work I'd say get the Z6II. I have one and it's a great camera, although I'm only now starting to experiment with video as well. For wildlife the D500 is hard to beat and the Z6II lags behind both the D500 and D850 when doing still photography.

Last edited:
I rarely shot video until I purchased my Z6 and I upgraded to the Z6ii to get eye AF in video, mostly for my grandkids. The Z6 and the Z6ii have not disappointed me in video or stills shooting. I do not shoot BIF so I can't comment on that, but for my shooting situations the Z6 has been great.

Thanks you all for the replies, yeah i was thinking on for the video features and i do some work with peoples some times so maybe i would get to use the eye af.
i know the D850 is the better choice for stills but i feel if i have the D500 and D850 i would stop using the D500 more and more so maybe the best choice would be to get the z6ii and when i can change the d500 to D850 im really not sure but also im not in a hurry.

The other thing i really like about the mirrorless is silent shooting many times i have been in selfmade hides for photos and the sound of the shutter sometimes scare them. but its looking like the z6ii is winning out to pair up with my D500.

Thanks again all!

Thanks you all for the replies, yeah i was thinking on for the video features and i do some work with peoples some times so maybe i would get to use the eye af.
i know the D850 is the better choice for stills but i feel if i have the D500 and D850 i would stop using the D500 more and more so maybe the best choice would be to get the z6ii and when i can change the d500 to D850 im really not sure but also im not in a hurry.

The other thing i really like about the mirrorless is silent shooting many times i have been in selfmade hides for photos and the sound of the shutter sometimes scare them. but its looking like the z6ii is winning out to pair up with my D500.
Sounds like a good strategy particularly since you're interested in video. I have both the D500 and D850 and as you said above I almost always prefer the 850 now. The D500 only gets used as a second body when I carry two in the field.

If it not were for the video feautres and af of the z6ii i would absolutely go for the D850 but then again i think that the picture quality when filling the frame with the D850 will be awesome and well i guess i need to choose betwen the video or stills, if i didnt had the D500 i would go for the D850 with out thinking about it.

My other thought was maybe i could get the D850 and then wait for a new Z camera not he z9 but something along the line of a z8 or something i dont know.

Looking at the roadmap of NIkon the 200/600 for z mount sounds good too, maybe i should start on the z system now to slowly change to the z.

I wont say that i made my choice but talking to you guys helps me a lot.

Thanks!

I thought I would never have a use for the video function of my Nikon DSLRs...until I took our one and only grandchild to the Pac North Wet the summer of 2017, then to Disneyland the summer of 2019. What I have an interest in at present is the Nikon D780 because it allegedly has the same video capability as a Nikon Z6 II. Have shot video with both a D7100 and D850 and in camera time lapse videos with the D850. There really are times when for me stills are just not good enough....like wave action on the Oregon coast or the granddaughter checking out tide pools there. Have shot video with a couple of Nikkor manual focus primes and with both a Nikon 24-70 and 70-200, both f/2.8s. If I had to choose only one of those for video it would be the 70-200, I like shooting video with that lens on any Nikon DSLR body.

Hello all again! Yeah i try out a z6 from a friend and it really feels good in the hand i really like the way you can switch from stills to video on the go. For now i think the z6ii is winning in my mind but still have some time to think about it.

Thanks all for the replies!

When I made the jump from DX to FX, I went "all in" as they say, went from a D7100 to a D850. Using the D850 for video was not something I considered when I got my D850. I made the jump to FX because of the results I got when I took our granddaughter to the Pac North Wet; I thought I could have gotten better images overall that trip. I had the D850 for Disneyland, just had not figured out video....yet. Wish I had. When I was invited to Seattle for New Years 2020, I was ready...ready for Multnomah Falls and the Mount St Helens area and the Seattle skyline on New Years morning when I shot video from the revolving deck of the Space Needle. I have my D850 set up so stills are recorded to the SD card slot and video to the XQD card slot.

Hello all!
Theres nothing wrong wwith the video of the D850 but i think the z system has better features for video in AF side and the ibis too.

I think ill get the z6ii first and then sell my D500 to get a D850 or not but i think is a good plan, maybe in the time theres another D8xx on the market.

Thanks all for the comments.

Hello all!
Theres nothing wrong wwith the video of the D850 but i think the z system has better features for video in AF side and the ibis too.

I think ill get the z6ii first and then sell my D500 to get a D850 or not but i think is a good plan, maybe in the time theres another D8xx on the market.

Thanks all for the comments.
Gotcha, maybe by then you will have a better mirrorless option to choose instead of dslr. I have been talking about upgrading my wife's D7500 to mirrorless but I think Sony A1 might be the way to go for her

At some point in the last year i was thinking of going Sony but at the end i didnt think selling all the lenses was worth it, but the Sony system is pretty incredible a friend have 1 and ive had the oportunity to try it out. And the A1 seems like the best Mirrorless in every way for now i dont think you can go wrong with it.

Back