A Mother's Instinct

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Here around the Bay, the breeding season for many wading birds would have typically finished by now. However, I guess the unusually long rainy season has shifted the pattern.

Yesterday afternoon, while sauntering near the shoreline trails, I heard the rapid calls of a black-necked stilt.

As I continued walking, the calls grew more frequent. Turning towards the marshland, I saw two tiny fuzz balls foraging on the beach.

These two stilt chicks couldn't have been more than two weeks old. They were busy foraging in the mud, their webbed feet - disproportionately huge for their body size - helping them walk on the soft, mushy surface.

The mother stilt stood guard not far off, constantly chirping to warn her chicks of potential dangers.

The father stilt was only 20 yards away on the outer perimeter, warding off ring-billed gulls.

As I approached, the mother rushed to her babies. The young stilts huddled under their mother for protection. She lowered her body, half-kneeling, allowing her kids to hide under her wings.

I walked away gingerly, but the mother bird kept a watchful eye on me. The strength of maternal instinct is indeed powerful!

Whether birds or humans, all mothers are alike.

😇

Oliver

BNS04.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

BNS05.jpeg

BNS07.jpeg

BNS022.jpeg

BNS03.jpeg

Back