A Northern Emerald Toucanet at its nest hollow

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was fortunate to have the opportunity to photograph a pair of Northern Emerald Toucanets at their active nest hollow. The parents would fly in with food for their nestlings and land on the edge go the hollow. Before entering the hollow, they would take a careful look around. I assume that they were checking to be sure that no nest predators were watching them. This image shows an adult with a wild avocado (much smaller than the commercial ones we eat!) in its beak as it looks around.
2C93CE24-4DB8-4622-A49A-BD502CA5AC44.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Another truly remarkable image! Love the fine feather details, OOF background and the colorful bird. Where did you find this beauty?
Hi, Karen,
The taxonomy of Emerald Toucanets had undergone recent change based on DNA sequencing data. Of course, there is still some controversy. The Northern Emerald Toucanet is found mostly in highland locations from southern Mexico through Panama, and just sneaking into South America. This photo was taken in the Talamanca Mountains of Costa Rica.
And thanks for the compliment on the image!
Corey

I was fortunate to have the opportunity to photograph a pair of Northern Emerald Toucanets at their active nest hollow. The parents would fly in with food for their nestlings and land on the edge go the hollow. Before entering the hollow, they would take a careful look around. I assume that they were checking to be sure that no nest predators were watching them. This image shows an adult with a wild avocado (much smaller than the commercial ones we eat!) in its beak as it looks around.View attachment 58971
Gorgeous Shot ! 👍👍👍

Back