a singing lemon

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This bird looks exactly like a lemon. I mean very yellow and quite a similar shape. All critique is appreciated
Raw Photo (63).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I love all the buntings and yellowhammers in particular so you've got me on side already! I'm pleased to see it. I like the photo, the bird is nicely placed looking into the shot and the complementary OOF background enhances the bird. I know it's a 'bird on a stick' which can attract criticism from some over-zealous judges but ignore that. The bird is sitting on an interesting stick, I love the fact it's broken, it adds interest.

Anything I don't like? Well I would make that diagonal stick in the top left disappear.
All in all I think it's a good shot.(y)

I think a crop might improve the composition a bit. The bird is a little too close to the center for my taste. It's kind of in the no-man's-land between dead center and rule of thirds placement. Otherwise, nice shot!

Raw Photo (63).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I think a crop might improve the composition a bit. The bird is a little too close to the center for my taste. It's kind of in the no-man's-land between dead center and rule of thirds placement. Otherwise, nice shot!

View attachment 16222
Your crop looks better although I like more room below the tail, to give some context for the branches. Also, I prefer a bit more towards centric composition

Well captured and presented. I like that you caught him singing! On my calibrated monitor, the image looks a wee bit dark. In checking the histogram in PS CC, the curve is to the left. You could raise exposure by about +.3 to +.5 stops and then reduce the whites to eliminate the bright spots on the top of the bird's head.

When in the field, take a lot of images, looking for ones where the bird's eye has catch light in it. That makes a world of difference in an image. I prefer your original crop, but would remove the diagonal branch in the upper left corner as suggested by Mike.

Back