A Spectacled Caiman eating a Green Iguana

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There are so many images of animals with prey. I think that sometimes they are a bit gruesome and sometimes a bit disconcerting. My impression is that many judges in photo contests don't rate them highly. Thus, I am posting this image of a spectacled caiman with a green iguana in its mouth for your consideration. Is the subject appropriate? Does it tell a story to you? What do like and dislike? Any suggestions as to how to improve the image? Any comments would be more than appreciated.
Z92_8412-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Predation photos are my favorite shots. This is very good, rare to get a caiman eating another reptile. Only way I see to improve this is to reduce the highlights and to crop some off of the top because of the many distractions. The top segment really doesn't add to it.

If a person was disconcerted with this image then in my opinion they are disconcerted with life. There is a difference between recording an event in the natural world and orchestrating cruelty. I very rarely enter photography competitions, other than for fun. Some guy was once speaking in a market place in ancient Greece. His friends were there for support. People listened for a while then moved on. In the end he was addressing one person. His friends felt sorry for him and asked him why he didn't give up and leave sooner. He replied that the one person left listening to him had been Plato.

I like it. With a more interesting background you could have used a narrower aperture to have the "whole" cayman in focus, as well as the environment. Anyway, looks like you made the best of the situation.

Back