A tough shot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gpsman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This is an amazing bird taken in Concord Great Meadow, MA. Is there anyway to improve this? Too many branches?, tone seems ok. Should I crop closer? Any help is appreciated.
415A685B-D511-4120-8D4D-9796DBCA4C50.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

To me it would look good as a vertical, maybe 2:3 ratio cropping away the tree far right and some of the left side. Myself I'd remove some of the in focus twigs near the bird to clean it up as they pull the eye away from the subject.

Pose and composition are good. To my eye, it seems to lack detail in the feathers. I am wondering if you either cropped in a bit too far or perhaps applied some overly aggressive noise reduction software?

I agree with every other comment so far, and will add that I don’t like the bird’s head angle, I wish there was more eye contact. There are too many branches in the photo to make it a “clean” shot, but not enough scenery to make it a good “habitat” shot. lighting is nice. What was your settings, particularly ISO for this shot?

Back