A Very Lucky Test Shot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bit of a back story to this. I was playing about on Camber Beach in Kent, UK, wasting some time on a clear evening, not long after sunset, trying out a few settings and throwing light on the groins on the beach, in readiness for a night shoot further down the coast after dark. I'd just moved the camera and tripod for a different angle, took the image then noticed a bright light to one side. Looking out to sea for a boat or light buoy, I couldn't understand where the light had come from on such a clear night. Then I looked closely at the image and found it was lightning strike over northern France, over 30 miles away. When I got home I checked a lightning app and found there had only been 6 strikes in the previous 24 hours in that area. Now that's what you call luck :):)
1647779586747.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

1647779625464.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Bit of a back story to this. I was playing about on Camber Beach in Kent, UK, wasting some time on a clear evening, not long after sunset, trying out a few settings and throwing light on the groins on the beach, in readiness for a night shoot further down the coast after dark. I'd just moved the camera and tripod for a different angle, took the image then noticed a bright light to one side. Looking out to sea for a boat or light buoy, I couldn't understand where the light had come from on such a clear night. Then I looked closely at the image and found it was lightning strike over northern France, over 30 miles away. When I got home I checked a lightning app and found there had only been 6 strikes in the previous 24 hours in that area. Now that's what you call luck :):)
View attachment 34786
View attachment 34787
Beautiful, once in a lifetime capture.

Back