A Violet-tailed Sylph does not let a little rain prevent its feeding on nectar from a flower

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

cr_wildlife

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This photo of a Violet-tailed Sylph was taken in a multi flash set up. As you can see, these set ups allow one to freeze the hummingbird's wings, allowing one to see all of the detail in the bird's feathers. In this case, the photo was taken during a rain shower and the set up also resulted in the raindrops being frozen as they fell. Hopefully, you will think that the rain makes this image a bit different from other multi flash photos. I was asked why I don't always use natural light for my hummingbird shots, as one can freeze the wings with a very fast shutter speed. The issue is, of course, light. In order to shoot at 1/4000 of a second (or faster, the Z9 goes to 1/8000), one needs lots of light. Unfortunately, when it is raining in the rainforest, light is at a premium, and the only solution is to add light with flash. As an aside, there is a hummingbird on the east side of the Andes called a Long-tailed Sylph, but the Violet-tailed Sylph, found on the west side of the Andes, has longer tail feathers!
850_4906-Edit.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back