Absolute Ultimate Camoflage

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Icarus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A friend and I were out photographing insects yesterday and came across this. We had been photographing a spider and I had seen what appeared to be a bird dropping on a leaf close to where the spider was. I blew it off as a bird dropping. My friend idly wondered if it was one of the catepillars that look like bird droppings (I'd never heard of such a thing). I looked at it through the evf and still couldn't really figure it out, but took some shots anyway. Imagine my delight and shock when I put it on the 27" monitor and saw this gorgeous moth. Unfortunately didn't take a photo with iphone so you could see how real it looked, but am posting a small image which will give you an idea. :).

small camo moth DSC07046.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Camo moth DSC07046.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice find!! Pretty funny and made me Google. There looks to be several moths and caterpillars that evolved to look like poop to ensure species survival. Very interesting! :poop:(y)

A friend and I were out photographing insects yesterday and came across this. We had been photographing a spider and I had seen what appeared to be a bird dropping on a leaf close to where the spider was. I blew it off as a bird dropping. My friend idly wondered if it was one of the catepillars that look like bird droppings (I'd never heard of such a thing). I looked at it through the evf and still couldn't really figure it out, but took some shots anyway. Imagine my delight and shock when I put it on the 27" monitor and saw this gorgeous moth. Unfortunately didn't take a photo with iphone so you could see how real it looked, but am posting a small image which will give you an idea. :).

View attachment 45000

View attachment 45001
I think I saw a couple of those on my car's hood. But they might have been pretending to be moths. :)

Nice find!! Pretty funny and made me Google. There looks to be several moths and caterpillars that evolved to look like poop to ensure species survival. Very interesting! :poop:(y)
When I went to Bugguide to ID this creature, I was amazed! There are dozens of different species. :)

Back