ACR cutting corners (literally) - you too? Please check.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is so strange and I have never noticed it with my Z9 images.
Sorry I couldn't get them identical size and paste them here.
First image with Fast Raw Viewer
Second is ACR.
Look at the right and left sides. Part of the image is missing.
I saw this Adobe Community thread on it.

Has anyone seen this before?

EDIT - when I look at pixels in PS it is 8256x5504 same as FRV. The PS pixel dimensions is what Nikon lists as the image size. BUT when I view the image in NX Studio I see the same pixels as FRV. I can go from NX Studio to a TIFF and see all the pixels in ACR.

I am befuddled here.

1703367795257.png

1703366686633.png

1703366751121.png

Attachments

• 1703366727819.png
    1703366727819.png
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I recalled I had a version of Elements with ACR 15.4 and it renders the RAW entirely.
Could someone else please try a Z9 file with ACR 16.1 and let us know. I have also opened a bug report in Adobe Communities.

7818 in ACR 15.4.png

My only other shot in the dark is the automatic lens correction in some lenses. Might be a factor as it applies barrel or pincushion corrections. Maybe try a lens with no built in corrections.

My only other shot in the dark is the automatic lens correction in some lenses. Might be a factor as it applies barrel or pincushion corrections. Maybe try a lens with no built in corrections.
No I tested that and it's not the same impact. That's not it. I really like FRV for a number of reasons so I would like to get this resolved and will see what they say, but more testing this morning suggests it something on their end.

He said he was viewing raw previews though. I agree though thata an embedded jpeg would apply automatic lens correction.

What I am discovering is that the issue is not present unless I use fast raw viewer, and when using that, I am looking at the raw files. I do not believe I am looking at the embedded JPEG in that program.

From FRV
FastRawViewer doesn't invent pixels.
FastRawViewer never writes to raw files, never changes raw files, and of
course never crops raw files.
Raw files are opened in FastRawViewer as read-only.

FastRawViewer displays pixel dimensions according to the setting in
FastRawViewer Preferences (please see page 185 of the FastRawViewer manual,
the manual comes with FastRawViewer, it is a fully searchable standard PDF,
and you can open it through FastRawViewer main Menu -> Help -> 'PDF manual').

According to Nikon MakerNotes tag 0x001b, and this is a part of the NEF file
itself, Nikon Z 9 uncropped raw is 8280 by 5520.

This is so strange and I have never noticed it with my Z9 images.
Sorry I couldn't get them identical size and paste them here.
First image with Fast Raw Viewer
Second is ACR.
Look at the right and left sides. Part of the image is missing.
I saw this Adobe Community thread on it.

Has anyone seen this before?

EDIT - when I look at pixels in PS it is 8256x5504 same as FRV. The PS pixel dimensions is what Nikon lists as the image size. BUT when I view the image in NX Studio I see the same pixels as FRV. I can go from NX Studio to a TIFF and see all the pixels in ACR.

I am befuddled here.

View attachment 76925

View attachment 76922

View attachment 76924
Hi,

Just chucking my two pennies worth in.

As I’ve just staring using FRV I gave it a whirl using Z9 full resolution raw files and found no issues when opening directly in ACR or LRC.

I know from the FRV documentation that the Z8/Z9 high efficency RAW files aren’t supported, not sure what the effect would be if these were being used.

Hope you get a resolution.

Merry Xmas

Does FRV create an XML file associated with the images? If the images are then copied using FRV the XML file is copied with the original images. When importing into ACR or LrC the XML file is recognized and settings imported as well.

Does FRV create an XML file associated with the images? If the images are then copied using FRV the XML file is copied with the original images. When importing into ACR or LrC the XML file is recognized and settings imported as well.
Thanks Marty. Yes I am aware of that and I thought that might originally be it, but I did them both ways and the issue persists. FRV is actively engaging in the analysis and Adobe is on vacation until the start of the year.

We shall see what's up I hope.

Does anything change when you try the suggestion in Adobe Community you linked? Going to crop and choosing full?

Back