Acratech GXP as a Gimbal?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RecalcitrantRon

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Anyone have any experience with using the Acratech GXP as a gimbal on a monopod? How does it compare to the Wimberly mini gimbal? Lenses will be Nikon Z 800 f/6.3 and 180-600 f/6.3. Thanks in advance.

The Acratech is very well machined with high quality anodizing.

Be extremely careful the arcaswiss dovetails of the lens foot are a correct fit in the lens clamp jaws. Also tighten the adjustment screw for a tight lock of the lever arm.

I always use a safety lanyard clipped to a thin sling in the Lens' eyelets - because I had a 500 PF fall out of my Acratech using it in gimbal mode on a light Gitzo tripod. A poorly fitting lens plate was the main cause of the failure - not all all Arcaswiss plates are created equal.

Thanks for the sound advice. Does it function well as a monopod gimbal? Any experience in comparison to the Wimberley Monogimbal?
No experience with the Wimberley, but the Acratech worked fine with light telephoto rig. It's okay as a stopgap if needing telephoto support with a light Commando Kit.

However, I prefer to use a Leofoto or modified Fotopro gimbal on my light Sirui monopod. This design keeps the rig weight in the vertical plane

No experience with the GXP head. However, I am very satisfied with my Acratech pano head on my Leofoto monopod (Nikon Z 180-600, 600 PF, etc.).

In addition I have standardized on Acratech lever clamps on all my tripod/monopods and exclusively use Acratech feet and rails to ensure correct fit with their lever clamps and avoid the potential of the poor fit problem mentioned by fcotterill above.

I also check and verify the clamp adjustment before each outing.

I use the Wimberley 100 as a gimbal on a monopod. I am quite satisfied with it and it is pretty inexpensive.

You can also adapt a Really Right Stuff quick lever clamp to the Wimberley. You send it in to Wimberly and they install it for you for a very reasonable price.

the Wimberley mounts the lens from the side so it is offset slightly, when using the gimbal you need to lean the monopod slightly to balance, but it works.

Easy to carry a lens and monopod this way.

At the same time I am not happy with my technique for monopod use with larger lenses. I have trouble keeping things steady. If I can sit somewhere and brace the camera/monopod against my body it works much better.

I am much more comfortable with two long lenses and cameras suspended on QD straps. I can carry them comfortably using Holdfast dual straps. I can shoot handheld this way because I don't hold it up for long.

At the same time the 800mm f6.3 is a large lens. If I am spending a lot of time tracking birds in flight I am much more comfortable working from a tripod with a full gimbal. I have gotten a lot of keepers working that way.

Thanks for the sound advice. Does it function well as a monopod gimbal? Any experience in comparison to the Wimberley Monogimbal?
I haven’t used the GXP but have used the earlier GV2. It works fine, lens and camera sit off to one side as with the monogimbal. I have a Kirk QR plate so I can swap between tripod and monopod. I like it better than the Wimberley because the monogimbal only does one thing, albeit very well.

Attachments

• IMG_4501.png
    IMG_4501.png
    892.9 KB · Views: 22
I've used the original Ultimate GP ballhead on a Leofoto MP-365C and it worked as you'd expect - have to tilt the monopod to center the balance, but did work nicely when setup properly. But I did not use it extensively (stopped using it - see below).

As @fcotterill said, be very certain of the clamp to plate connection for the lens - it did seem much more likely to fail than when balancing the lens on the top of a ballhead, etc. since gravity is working to pull the plate out. I've found that Acratech and Kirk work well together, and have standardized on them.

I likely need more practice with a monopod, but like @wotan1 I found it cumbersome, and it did not provide nearly the stability of a tripod, which, for me, is barely more inconvenient (vs. the monopod). With the VR systems today, I'm handholding outrageous focal lengths and getting good results for stills. For video with the same focal lengths, I need a tripod - the monopod did not at all elevate the footage to a professional level (again, this is based on my skill level with the monopod).

@fcotterill - could you detail your safety lanyard setup, please? I'd really like something like that when using a tripod/monopod.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I ordered a used Acratech GXP w/ lever clamp. Should be here in a few days. My hope is for it to serve as a replacement for my RRS BH-55 for landscape on the tripod (the Acratech weighs half as much) and as a mono gimbal on my monopod. I already have a full gimbal (Leofoto PG-1) for the tripod. I'll report back after I have some experience with it.

Back