Why Arca Swiss?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am a complete rookie when it comes to gimbal heads. I do not know who RRS is, although I see in a post above that they have the best gear for wildlife photographers.

I am going to be getting the Nikon 500mm lens so I am thinking I will be needing a gimbal. Will someone please tell me where to look for more information? I see Gimbal heads from $99 to over $1,000. I need help making an intelligent decision.

Thank you.

Check this out

Here is a fairly complete review of current Gimbals for wildlife ie to support a telephoto rig. He missed the Gimpro and Zenelli ( links on previous page above)

I have also tried a few different models - chasing after the optimum of features combining Lightest with Reliability and Haptics. My modified Jobu Jnr works well enough and it scores quite well on decent Luggabilty. A Quick Release on the lens-plate is essential for my list.

I have been asked to test a Leofoto PG1 (blatant clone of Promedia Katana Jr), and have ordered the FotoPro E-6H, which has a couple of unique features.

EDIT - since posting this I completed a Review of 4 gimbal heads with comparisons and some context to modifications I made:

https://chambeshiphotographyblog.wo...aphy-comparing-4-models-for-heavy-telephotos/

Last edited:
Thank you all! I have spent a LOT of time going through the provided materials, and while I have some time before purchase of the lens and gimbal, I now have a much better understanding of what I will need in terms of a Gimbal to go with my new lens.

Curious, is there a way for me to pin or mark this thread to make it easier to find when it is time to make my purchase?

Wink

Curious, is there a way for me to pin or mark this thread to make it easier to find when it is time to make my purchase?
Not that I'm aware of, but it's easy enough to go back through your own posting history and check the threads you've contributed to including this one. Just click on your user name in the upper right hand portion of the screen and then click Your content to see every post you've made and each thread you've contributed to.

[edit] I just checked my own posting history and it only appears to go back a month or so or perhaps a fixed number of posts.

Last edited:

Wink

Most browsers allow you to bookmark a page. That's what I do. some are in a folder structure and others in a pool of 'other' bookmarks, but that pool is searchable, so I can find pages very quickly.

I see the bookmark icon on the upper right hand of each message and bookmarked this page. It even allowed me to add a message and labels to the bookmark.

Thank you both for the information.

Here is the RRS 1.5" standard for Araca-Swiss plates. Note "...We analyzed a collection of plates from various manufacturers and found many inconsistencies, as there was no industry standard for a dovetail rail. We reached out to those companies and began to work with whomever was willing to cooperate to adopt a common dovetail standard. In conjunction, we standardized our dovetail drawings so that any manufacturer could understand them."

Unfortunate that these companies are not named. Further to the linaks in post #11 above, the dovetails are compared in the appended photo. IME a A-S plate such as Gimpro or Leofoto can pull out of an adjustable clamp [namely Acratech) under load, particularly if the rig falls or is jolted.

1716125878116.png

1716125950665.png

1716126288250.png

Attachments

• 1716125894405.png
    1716125894405.png
    277 KB · Views: 19
I currently have one manfrotto "heavy" and a carbon travel tripod along with a monopod that I purchased some time ago. I rarely use the heavy tripod and each of them have a single column in the middle. I keep a Manfrotto style plate on the camera but don't keep them on my lenses. I am thinking about making the switch to RRS tripods.

My question is around Arc Swiss. Who uses it and why does it seem to be the standard among wildlife photographers?
The Arca Swiss TYPE seems to be the most commonly used – especially on L brackets.

Probably as many as 90% of those sold not be made by Arca Swiss and often vary to some extent in machining detail.

One brand may not be fully compatible with another with 100% safety, especially when it comes to the size of the top surface (as with the Gitzo), or the placing of so-called safety stop screws.

I suggest careful checking for safe compatibility when mixing Arca Swiss type plates and heads from different manufacturers.

There is the standard Arca-Swiss plate and also the wider plate used with video cameras. I use adapters on my video heads to attach lenses and bodies with standard Arca-Swiss plates as it simplifies things. I also have an Arca-Swiss plate mounted to my spotting scope so I can use it with my regular tripods.

Manfrotto dominates the lower end of the video head and tripod market with Sachtler and Miller at the upper end.

Back