Actions in Photoshop

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Often in photoshop, there are certain things one does to each photograph they process. Creating an Action in PS can make many of those adjustments quick and easy to do.

What actions have you created in Photoshop?

Here are a few I use:

Copyright action

Content Aware Fill

High pass sharpening

Combo of Flatten, convert to sRGB, Save as JPG and "close without saving"

Last edited:
In my former life, I was a software engineer. I wrote a Photoshop script that uses the metadata information that I enter for all my keepers to create a notecard with each open image. I just open a set of images and go get a cup of coffee. When I come back there is a set of notecards ready to print. This is just about the only software I have created since I retired 10 years ago this week. This was originally a set of Actions but scripting was much more capable.

What actions have you created in Photoshop?
It's been a while since I created or used any Photoshop actions but like you I had an action to add copywrite on images (embossed look, transparent copywrite), had one for High Pass Sharpening and also had actions for stair step interpolation back when I did a lot of that for very low res digital cameras (I've printed 20"x30" gallery images from my Nikon D1H 2.7 mega pixel files but that took a lot of work :) ). I do remember one action I used for web forum posts that added an extended canvas border with drop shadows that I thought was fun at the time.

I'm sure I created some other actions as it was something I played with quite a bit before LR tools got the point where I really only launch PS for more complex edits but I can't really remember many of the actions that I used back then.

Back in the day, I created several simple actions that did the simple things I needed. I still use only one or two of them, but I still remember how much they simplified my life. I was running a website and needed constant content of pretty pictures of our pretty gems.

Change color. I read an article in the then actual Photoshop magazine. I knew I would never remember the steps, so I created an action that allowed me to "remember" the steps perfectly. Strange, I never seem to read it now since I cannot retire to the reading room with it only being on line... I have not used it in at least ten years, probably more like fifteen. Don't remember any of the steps, but it is there if I ever feel I need it. No function key assigned.

Copywrite F4
Size image to 72 DPI F5
Size to 5 inches, I have no idea why I did not assign a key stroke
Close, do not save F2

There were others, but they have disappeared in the fog of time and lack of space within my brain...

I use actions extensively - even for simple things like duplicate layer, flatten image, Duplicate and Open De Noise, Duplicate layer and open ACR filter - anything where I can rather do one click instead of having to access a menu - Actions with several steps will have stops for customizing. Action for preparing a photo for posting on the web which includes resizing, profile, adding watermark, saving, and closing. And button mode makes it even easier when your actions are color-coded
Actions make life so much easier.

I don't generally create my own, but I have collected a few from others. Frequency separation, various sharpening, a set for watercolor painting, to name a couple.

I use, and am extremely happy with, the Tony Kuyper Action Panel. It has changed - and improved - my Photoshop use. Luminosity masks become routine and easy. Plus a lot of the actions discussed above are simple one-button clicks. Note that I receive no compensation for promoting the TK Action Panel. I just think it's incredible. Folks who may be interested can go to Tony's website: https://goodlight.us/index.html and click on the TK8 Plugin button.
Don't be intimidated by the number of panels and buttons. Sean Bagshaw's instructional videos about the TK Action Panel are as good as Steve's excellent instruction on how to comprehend and use all those Nikon settings.

I use, and am extremely happy with, the Tony Kuyper Action Panel. It has changed - and improved - my Photoshop use. Luminosity masks become routine and easy. Plus a lot of the actions discussed above are simple one-button clicks. Note that I receive no compensation for promoting the TK Action Panel. I just think it's incredible. Folks who may be interested can go to Tony's website: https://goodlight.us/index.html and click on the TK8 Plugin button.
Don't be intimidated by the number of panels and buttons. Sean Bagshaw's instructional videos about the TK Action Panel are as good as Steve's excellent instruction on how to comprehend and use all those Nikon settings.
I agree. Tony Kuyper's products are excellent and Sean Bagshaw's videos remove any confusion or intimidation.

I use actions in PS but don't bother saving them, even for copyright. It is so quick and easy to record a new action anytime I have enough images with similar attributes and run a batch to apply the action to all folder images in PS. I will include a purchased plug in at times within the actions I create.

I have several I wrote. Resize for competition - local camera club. Final image is 1400x1050 so I resize the image to 1394x1044.. I put a 1 pixel black border around the image and the a 2 pixde white border around that. Convert to sRGB.

Also have a dodge and burn action that creates 2 adjustment layers with soft light for dodging and overlay for burning. The adjustment layers are placed inside a group.

I have several I wrote. Resize for competition - local camera club. Final image is 1400x1050 so I resize the image to 1394x1044.. I put a 1 pixel black border around the image and the a 2 pixde white border around that. Convert to sRGB.

Also have a dodge and burn action that creates 2 adjustment layers with soft light for dodging and overlay for burning. The adjustment layers are placed inside a group.
Nice use of Actions, Rich!

This one looks very tempting, only $49 lifetime upgrades.

Looks interesting but wonder about language support. Offer support Spanish, German, French, Italian, and Dutch though their website is in English. No support in English or just an omission.

Is any body using this?

Looks interesting but wonder about language support. Offer support Spanish, German, French, Italian, and Dutch though their website is in English. No support in English or just an omission.

Is any body using this?
All the support is in English. The other choices are extra. This is from Unmesh Dinda of PiXimperfect, very well established as a Photoshop educator.

Back