Add on to Arches trip next year?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thank-you all for your very helpful responses and ideas. My revised plan will be to spend 3 nights at Monument Valley, 4 nights at Moab and 4 nights at Grand Canyon. This will allow some time for local exploration of adjacent parks and reserves.I will also travel up to Page on one of the days from Moab or GC to go to the Antelope Valley canyons. One of the main reasons for going is to get some nights ky images including the Milky Way and the trip is timed to be a few days either side of the new moon. The Milky Way is seen in the latter half of the night at the end of April which will work well with the 7/8 hour time difference from the UK!

I will certainly avoid the tourist hot spots when busy and may use a local guide in one or two of the locations to help find good spots. Hopefully the risk of major storms is low in late April/early May but I will keep an eye on the forecasts.
If you’re really interested in the slot canyons and getting the no people shots…skip Antelope as it is extremely overcrowded and the photo tours that blocked people for 2 minutes at a time aren’t available any more. Hire a local guide to take you to one of the many other slots in the area instead. Arches is on a block the gates when it’s full last time I checked but is likely to be reservation at this point like Zion, Yosemite and other have gone too. Iamb the best arch is Mesa Arch at sunrise and it’s in Canyonlands and not Arches although the parks are adjacent. Both the north entrance to Canyonlands that puts ypu up on top and the south which puts you on the canyon floors re spectacular and are mostly drive sort of tours lthough there are hikes. Arches is much more of a hike to the arches thing. And then there’s the hidden gem with few visitors…Mesa Verde right across the border into CO from Bluff UT area. And as noted…western US is big and it’s easy to over plan and spend way too much time driving from place to place. Check the weather history as well…might still be some snow and road issues that early in the season.

Back