Adobe’s hidden cancellation fee is unlawful, FTC suit says

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You’re missing my point

Rereading your post, I think I see what you are saying. It would be good for the consumer to do what you said. Maybe bad for their business. I would be tempted to find a way to work the angles, maybe subscribe for a year, take two years off, subscribe another year, etc.

Rereading your post, I think I see what you are saying. It would be good for the consumer to do what you said. Maybe bad for their business. I would be tempted to find a way to work the angles, maybe subscribe for a year, take two years off, subscribe another year, etc.
The angles are why the places that do it have some controls in place like requiring you to have multiple years of subscription before you’re eligible and full price if you restart. I’ve also seen (and is more common in some circles) that you pay a larger up-front fee and a yearly maintenance fee for all updates but when you leave you leave with a permanent license. Then if you restart you pay that larger up-front fee again.

Everything good for the consumer tends to impact profitability for the business. It’s one reason why regulation exists.

$10/month for such feature rich products as LrC and PS when I first signed up many years ago, seemed like a bargain. Given how regularly and quickly the products are upgraded to support new cameras, lenses, and features, it seems like an even better bargain today.

The problem is that the contract renews automatically and they charge your card before you know it.

You don't get the same email notifications the rest of us do?

Adobe Renew.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Just my two cents on this subject. First I am NO FAN of adobe's or any other subscription software.

The only subscription S/W I use is Photoshop and Bridge. In 2022 I thought I might like to expand my photography with some video I have shot with my D850 and my iPhone so I subscribed to Adobes Premiere Pro. After about 6 months I realized all I needed was what available was in Photoshop. I Googled cancelling Premiere Pro and was informed you need to use it for a year before no penalty's apply and I confirmed this on Adobes site.. So I cancelled thirteen one months after starting and all seemed to go well with no penalty. Several months later end of the year and when I started to get ready for tax season I noticed I still had two charges on my bill, Photoshop @$9.99 and Premiere Pro @$20 for the last five months. I went to the Adobe site and did a chat with no luck, their Chat Assistant didn't understand and refused to connect me to a live body. I finally called Adobe and got the problem resolved all the way back to cancellation and made sure they didn't muck with my Photoshop subscription. In short all worked well but I knew going in that you had to use the service a year before cancelling. It's not really hidden if you do your research on Adobe or via Google. I can understand their policy to avoid having people register for a month or two and then drop it, it's a lot of work keeping the accounting side up to date..

I understand the initial group of people who subscribed without reading the user agreement, assumed they could quit at any time, and were shocked to find out they signed up for a year.

That was 12 years ago.

If terms were not clear or "hidden deep in legalese" back then, it certainly didn't stay that way—see Eric's screenshots in post #9. You don't really have to 'do research', since it's clearly stated in the very small amount of large print you have to read on the screen in front of you.

Chris

PS: This isn't a thread about the value/benefits of the subscription model, but since it keeps coming up: I'm glad we're no longer in the previous model, when I shelled out $180 every two years for a single update ($180 for each app, so $360 for both PS / LR), and we had to wait that long for bug fixes and added features.

I really don't understand the previous comment about how "unethical" Adobe's has been. You can feel free to not like their business model, but calling it unethical is weird.

Not that I am aware of. Where are you located?
I'm in the US.

I wouldn't think they would screen domains to exclude certain world locales from getting the email, though. I suppose certain governments might screen them from coming in, if you're in that kind of region.

You might be able to check with Adobe to see if they have a record of sending them out. And you could check your spam folder around the time of subscription charges to be sure they're hitting your inbox.

Chris

I know people that do not pay for their Adobe Classic with full functionality and no use of Adobe's Cloud servers so their Photos stay local on their systems and Adobe can't randomly look at their images and invade privacy.

The more this stuff with Adobe comes to light, the more I think about making that jump. But without paying for the product, the updates and innovations and features don't come. Though the amount of profit I hear Adobe pockets year year is astounding. Well into the BILLIONS each year I read.

I have used Adobe Lighroom for so long now, I have no interest in jumping to another app like On One, DXO, Capture 1 and the like and have to go through the learning curve that would take

Back