Adobe Stops supporting older software -

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Charles Loy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Recently when I loaded up my Adobe CS5-creative suite I received a near full screen notice that Adobe 'will no longer support this version of our software'
Curious that if I load the CS-5 onto another computer, will it load and work as it still does now? I own two versions of 5, Adobe and Adobe Creative Suite, own as I paid cash for them at Best Buy several years ago. Apparent I registered as I receive info from Adobe, but now that has ended.

Now the concern, I am buying a new computer right away and would like to load the CS 5 software that I own. My question to those that have owned older versions that are discontinued, any clue if my Version 5's will actually respond as usual after I load? -- And as a post script, I have used the current Photoshop, prefer to stay put. Thanks to any replies

Recently when I loaded up my Adobe CS5-creative suite I received a near full screen notice that Adobe 'will no longer support this version of our software'
Curious that if I load the CS-5 onto another computer, will it load and work as it still does now? I own two versions of 5, Adobe and Adobe Creative Suite, own as I paid cash for them at Best Buy several years ago. Apparent I registered as I receive info from Adobe, but now that has ended.

Now the concern, I am buying a new computer right away and would like to load the CS 5 software that I own. My question to those that have owned older versions that are discontinued, any clue if my Version 5's will actually respond as usual after I load? -- And as a post script, I have used the current Photoshop, prefer to stay put. Thanks to any replies
In my experience the software should continue to work and you should be able to load a copy from your distribution disk onto a new computer but there won't be any software support, bug fixes nor any other continued support such as supporting new cameras for the older software.

Charles, several years ago I bought the last free standing version that Adobe offered…Lr6. I installed it in the computer I owned at the time and muddled through it with disappointing results. I upgraded in 2017 to a 27” iMac and again installed Lr6 that I owned. It didn’t work. Called Adobe…. That didn’t go well. Called Apple support and was informed that Lr6 has 32 bit encryption and my new (at the time) iMac was 64 bit…. Bottom line, Lr6 is not compatible. I tried to delete Lr6. It could not be deleted, even with Apple’s help. I tried to purchase LrC through Adobe and Apple Store and was denied. Adobe informed me online I had already purchased and registered a Lr product and they would not sell me a second Lr version. I called Adobe again and tried explaining the 32 vs. 64 bit thing to the jerk in la la land. This went worse than the first time. The rocket scientist that I got wanted me to install an “uninstall“ and “cleaner program” to clear Lr6 from my computer. Called Apple first to see if this was okay. It was. Called Adobe back and went through a 2 hour ordeal with someone half the planet away to get Lr6 off my iMac. I got rid of it eventually and now have LrC……

Technology can take the fun away……

@DRwyoming
Thanks, I actually loaded it (PS5) on a new laptop 7 months ago, and it is fine. I do know how to remove it, so if it wont light up then I will remove it.

@Larry S.
There is a way to remove the program. I have what that takes and can guide you to it, if needed. My computer pretended to remove, but did not. I found a way off internet that will totally remove. It's B-S that Adobe wants us to buy the cloud and ignore the installed program, least they can do is help remove.

A year past I removed PS5 from my computer and bought into the cloud - absolutely hated it. If the new computer will not run the PS5, I guess I will learn the cloud version and reluctantly be a gentleman about it. :mad:

To the OP, I would recommend using migration software to move your existing programs to your new machine if that is possible. If the program require activation through an Adobe server, it is possible that they may de-activate that server at some time. I am not saying that they have de-activated it or that they will absolutely de-activate it, but it is a possibility, and migration software can often get round that issue.

Regarding ownership of LR6 and LR Classic, I am not sure why Adobe would not allow a Creative Cloud subscription as the two products are considered separate and can co-exist on a PC at the same time. I have LR5.7 and LRC on my machine and there is no issue. Adobe is correct about the installer issue on newer Apple machines, but that would be a different issue. Some Adobe reps. are not that helpful and it sounds like Larry S. certainly had a few. LR6 can be moved to a newer machine if it was migrated through software as it bypasses the installer issue, but there have been some hiccups with that. And, I believe that Adobe may have de-activated the licensing server for LR6, so installing it today is a somewhat hit or miss situation.

--Ken

@DRwyoming
Thanks, I actually loaded it (PS5) on a new laptop 7 months ago, and it is fine. I do know how to remove it, so if it wont light up then I will remove it.

@Larry S.
There is a way to remove the program. I have what that takes and can guide you to it, if needed. My computer pretended to remove, but did not. I found a way off internet that will totally remove. It's B-S that Adobe wants us to buy the cloud and ignore the installed program, least they can do is help remove.

A year past I removed PS5 from my computer and bought into the cloud - absolutely hated it. If the new computer will not run the PS5, I guess I will learn the cloud version and reluctantly be a gentleman about it. :mad:
Thanks Charles for the offer, got it taken care of January 2023. I’m considering another iMac upgrade later this year.

To the OP, I would recommend using migration software to move your existing programs to your new machine if that is possible. If the program require activation through an Adobe server, it is possible that they may de-activate that server at some time. I am not saying that they have de-activated it or that they will absolutely de-activate it, but it is a possibility, and migration software can often get round that issue.

Regarding ownership of LR6 and LR Classic, I am not sure why Adobe would not allow a Creative Cloud subscription as the two products are considered separate and can co-exist on a PC at the same time. I have LR5.7 and LRC on my machine and there is no issue. Adobe is correct about the installer issue on newer Apple machines, but that would be a different issue. Some Adobe reps. are not that helpful and it sounds like Larry S. certainly had a few. LR6 can be moved to a newer machine if it was migrated through software as it bypasses the installer issue, but there have been some hiccups with that. And, I believe that Adobe may have de-activated the licensing server for LR6, so installing it today is a somewhat hit or miss situation.

--Ken
Ken…. Apple said Lr6 had 32 bit encryption and LrC was 64 bit. Apple told me the older version would not work on my newer iMac. That’s all I know

FWIW I was in the reluctant camp until I I watched Steve's course when it came to Lightroom Classic (desktop version), but all of what Adobe has done the past 18 months, and I am a happy Snow Monkey sitting in a hot pool. Julieanne Kost's free videos get you started with all the features. On a new computer you might jump in the hot pool too. In terms of cost, the 9.99 plus tax plan is still around and it's cheaper than two Charbucks a month.

Ken…. Apple said Lr6 had 32 bit encryption and LrC was 64 bit. Apple told me the older version would not work on my newer iMac. That’s all I know
What Apple told you is correct, but there is a bit more they did not say. If you had LR6 on a Mac with the older software and upgraded the OS to the later version, then LR6 should have still worked as it did not need to be installed as it already was. And, if you migrated your old software to a new machine (and I cannot recall the name of the software that Apple created to do this migration since I am a Windows user), then LR6 should also have worked fine as it did not need to be reinstalled as it was migrated along with all of your other software. There have been some exceptions to this, so it is not a definitive solution, but in those cases, it has generally worked.

As a side note, LRC should be able to read any older LR6 catalogs without issue. If you ask it to open an older catalog, it will copy that catalog, leaving the original file intact, and then convert the copy to whatever version of LRC you are using. But do note that catalogs are not backward compatible.

In the end, I hope that your LRC installation is working well for you, and that you are taking advantage of the additional offerings that Adobe adds to its LR/LRC plans. Portfolio is one of the additions that often goes unnoticed, but is nice for showcasing images.

--Ken

FWIW I was in the reluctant camp until I I watched Steve's course when it came to Lightroom Classic (desktop version), but all of what Adobe has done the past 18 months, and I am a happy Snow Monkey sitting in a hot pool. Julieanne Kost's free videos get you started with all the features. On a new computer you might jump in the hot pool too. In terms of cost, the 9.99 plus tax plan is still around and it's cheaper than two Charbucks a month.
Now I am going to have a hard time getting the image of a snow monkey in a hot pool watching a Julieanne Kost video out of my head! 🤯

--Ken

I have never used Lightroom anything. I am aware the 10 dollar monthly rental has PS and LR. I appreciate all - Thanks
Ok and I was in the same boat having only used Lightroom 2.0 a decade ago. What has changed is hard to grasp until you see it. Many of your images can now be handled there with much more ease, once learned, than in Photoshop. You don't have to use many of the features, just the ones you want. And for the special images, it's easy to move them into Photoshop and do as you normally do, and once in Photoshop, there are so many great new features. The noise reduction, the masking, the object selection, the remove tool. Things that didn't exist and that now makes things easier.

Have you ever been in a car listening to music, and a call comes in the music is paused. Some things you don't think of until experienced, and are very useful, and you go hmmm, that's cool. Adobe has a bunch of those.

Yes I feel your reluctance. I was there. Just saying hello from the hot pool with the Snow Monkeys watching the training videos.

you may be able to use it if you run a virtual machine on the new Mac using Paralleles software https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pl-dd-all-paidads&utm_id=21074480109&utm_content=159306545643&utm_term=parallels desktop for mac&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Zrqm6-PhQMV4aJaBR1EzAlCEAAYASAAEgKCnfD_BwEand Once you install the virtual machine you then install an older version of Mac OS Mojave (32bit) into the virtual machine

Last edited:
Some things you don't think of until experienced, and are very useful, and you go hmmm, that's cool. Adobe has a bunch of those.

Yes I feel your reluctance. I was there. Just saying hello from the hot pool with the Snow Monkeys watching the training videos.

All good points. I'll mention that I use Nikon NX Studio for more than culling photos. It's very useful, but not to the detailed level of Adobe. I'm gonna watch the Steve Lightroom presentation too.

How many years should a software company offer free tech support for previous versions? It seems every maker has some limits. I know once In a while Microsoft announces version X will no longer be supported, it doesnt seem to be considered a problem. How old is this version of photoshop? How many versions ago?

you may be able to use it if you run a virtual machine on the new Mac using Paralleles software https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pl-dd-all-paidads&utm_id=21074480109&utm_content=159306545643&utm_term=parallels desktop for mac&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Zrqm6-PhQMV4aJaBR1EzAlCEAAYASAAEgKCnfD_BwEand Once you install the virtual machine you then install an older version of Mac OS Mojave (32bit) into the virtual machine
Thank for the info Ralph. I’ve moved on to LrC and pay the $10 monthly. I’m sure the newer version has better features than the older Lr6. I’ve read that the newest Apple O/S has or will have RAW photo editing capabilities that are impressive. That is yet to be seen. If true, it would be nice to dump the subscription to LrC for my purposes.

There are no guarantees with Adobe. My company had a unlimited site license for CS5 and Adobe decided not to allow installations on new computers we bought. They know that their customers have no recourse. I switched over to Affinity and this was good until I bought the Z9 and am using high efficieny Raw formatted files which Affinity's developers still have not decided to support. So it is back to a Adobe subscription for PS for my computers and Affinity for everyone else for stills. Fortunately Resolve is available for editing video.

Back