Advice for buying used gear

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have found this website useful for info about Nikon products: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/index.html. Maybe there is something similar for Sony.

There's a big advantage in my mind buying from something like this forum's members. Especially if they are well-known. They will give you the history of the lens or camera, where it was bought, issues, etc, I believe.

I've only bought a couple of used items, but I factor in a service to the total cost I'm willing to pay. My upper end this summer was $2400 for a used 500mm PF. I paid $2000, the lens needed $300 of service, and I paid for insured shipping (another $100). I took a chance on whether it was gray market because the camera shop I bought it from couldn't say for sure, but I was pretty sure it wasn't. That same lens is now lower in the used market.

The price paid should reflect a couple of things. First, you can/will pay more than what a dealer will pay the seller in trade-in. But, the seller should sell for less than what you'd have to pay at a dealer. It's a win-win, if done carefully.

If you are buying used, you can always call Sony or Nikon, Canon, etc and see if they still service the camera or lens (if an older model). At some point they may not. Others may have more experience with this than I. The Nikon service website will allow you to input a model and serial number and give you service options plus costs for standard service. Anything else they find is extra.
Good luck, Alan

I I took a chance on whether it was gray market because the camera shop I bought it from couldn't say for sure, but I was pretty sure it wasn't. That same lens is now lower in the used market.

I wonder if you contacted the Local Nikon office if they would tell if the lens was gray market or not based upon the serial number?

I wonder if you contacted the Local Nikon office if they would tell if the lens was gray market or not based upon the serial number?
I tried, and they told me that the only way to tell was to send it in for service. This seems inaccurate to me, they must have records of where the lens was sold by serial number, at least what country. Especially if someone registered it for their warranty. In my case the lens developed a mounting issue pretty quickly, so I sent it in for a full service (and hoped). It all worked out, fortunately.

I tried, and they told me that the only way to tell was to send it in for service. This seems inaccurate to me, they must have records of where the lens was sold by serial number, at least what country. Especially if someone registered it for their warranty. In my case the lens developed a mounting issue pretty quickly, so I sent it in for a full service (and hoped). It all worked out, fortunately.

About 90% of the time, I keep the original box w/in the warranty card. Having the warranty card is "proof" that they lens or camera is not gray market

About 90% of the time, I keep the original box w/in the warranty card. Having the warranty card is "proof" that they lens or camera is not gray market
Yes, one of the best things about buying from a responsible private party is that there can be assurance of getting a US market item. B&H and perhaps other large dealers don't differentiate between gray and US items.

That's true for new items. But if you click on the B&H Used rating system pulldown, it says this;

"The B&H Used Dept. does not distinguish between "grey market" and USA-warranted merchandise for any item we sell. These distinctions are primarily important for warranty purposes for new merchandise; since all the merchandise sold through our used department is outside the manufacturer's warranty period, in almost every case, the issue is moot."

But the issue is NOT moot. Nikon USA will not service any item that was not sold as "US Market" in origin. This is where buying used Nikon gear from a private party can be an advantage if they have saved their receipts.

So far all of my camera gear has been bought new, but I'm planning to buy some high end gear and the cost saving for buying used is substantial. I'm planning to buy the Sony A1 and 600 F4 GM. I've spent a ton of money renting different gear this year and have decided that I'm in love with that setup for the my location. The cost difference between a brand new A1 + 600 F4 vs. buying those used allows for a fair amount of money left over to be used for other gear, trips, etc.

Is it a bad idea to buy those items used? I'm concerned about a motor failing or other issues that would otherwise be covered under warranty. There is also the concern about seller reputation. One option I've considered is KEH, which would save me a little money and has a 180 warranty. But getting the 600 F4 used from an individual could save upwards of $4000 when you consider tax on a new one.

Any advice buying used gear would be helpful. Not just advice about the sale process/buyer safety, but about long-term maintenance concerns with the gear too.

Thanks.
Call me ultra conservative but I try Not to buy anything used unless I have the opportunity personally to inspect the goods, know and trust the person very well, or have an iron clad guarantee to return if I’m dissatisfied (within a reasonable window, of course).

I buy my equipment used unless the new price is similar, or I can't find it used. I buy from KEH, MPB, and Fred Miranda. That's in order of most-to-least reliable.

KEH is beyond reproach, but prices are usually a bit worse than MPB.
MPB tends to be a bit optimistic on their quality ratings.
Fred Miranda you have to watch out for sellers. I've had a few poor experiences, but you can generally see them coming. I've eaten return shipping on a couple items.

To sell equipment, I sell to MPB or KEH unless Fred Miranda offers considerably more cash. It's just too convenient to sell to the shops, and the risk of fraud is essentially zero.

So far all of my camera gear has been bought new, but I'm planning to buy some high end gear and the cost saving for buying used is substantial. I'm planning to buy the Sony A1 and 600 F4 GM. I've spent a ton of money renting different gear this year and have decided that I'm in love with that setup for the my location. The cost difference between a brand new A1 + 600 F4 vs. buying those used allows for a fair amount of money left over to be used for other gear, trips, etc.

Is it a bad idea to buy those items used? I'm concerned about a motor failing or other issues that would otherwise be covered under warranty. There is also the concern about seller reputation. One option I've considered is KEH, which would save me a little money and has a 180 warranty. But getting the 600 F4 used from an individual could save upwards of $4000 when you consider tax on a new one.

Any advice buying used gear would be helpful. Not just advice about the sale process/buyer safety, but about long-term maintenance concerns with the gear too.

Thanks.
To save on tax. I buy big ticket items from NJ or Utah. Those states aren’t required to collect sales tax from PA.

I tried to scan the thread to see if anybody mentioned the shutter count when purchasing used from resellers like KEH. Back when I was looking for used the shutter count was not available from resellers and agree, it isn't an expensive repair if needed. But that is one advantage of FredMiranda for your A1. Sellers always include this or will if asked before purchase. Just look at and read the ratings on sellers you are considering. I have excellent experiences here both as seller and buyer.

I tried to scan the thread to see if anybody mentioned the shutter count when purchasing used from resellers like KEH. Back when I was looking for used the shutter count was not available from resellers and agree, it isn't an expensive repair if needed. But that is one advantage of FredMiranda for your A1. Sellers always include this or will if asked before purchase. Just look at and read the ratings on sellers you are considering. I have excellent experiences here both as seller and buyer.
That’s a good point. Thanks!

Call me ultra conservative but I try Not to buy anything used unless I have the opportunity personally to inspect the goods, know and trust the person very well, or have an iron clad guarantee to return if I’m dissatisfied (within a reasonable window, of course).
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that view. It's up to each individual to make their own decision on matters like this.

I bought a 600 mm f/4 FL ED at MPB at about half the price of a new one - new not justified just for a hobbyist - and found it had problems with the AF. It was no problem to return it and exchange it for a replacement. Now I just love this lens, my best decision ever!

I’ve bought some very nice gear from eBay, KEH, MPB and Lensrentals. One clue for buying is whether
the seller has retained the original box , accessories and warranty card. I find folks that do, tend to be very careful about their gear (such as myself :) ).

I have used MPB with great success got my SB 910 Flash there they said excellent condition on the site so I got it and they were right came in original box with Nikon manuel works great. I also got a Tamron 70-300 SP F 4 lens again it was posted as excellent shape and it was also shipped in original box with manual. Another good place is Roberts Camera they have 2 locations in Indpls IN they are a family owned bsiness been around 65 years. I got a Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro lens called them and told its excellent condition and it was with original box and paperwork Roberts gave me another 5% discount as I was a first time buyer and a 6 month warranty. Roberts also is competitive with Adorama and B&H on new camera equipment as well and they buy used gear.

I have had both good and bad experiences over the years. Nowadays, I think I would only buy a used item rated as condition Like New or Like New Minus and only from KEH or B&H. (Possibly also from someone on this forum in the buy/sell thread).

Back