Advice for Kingfisher photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

FB101

In a couple weeks I will be spending a morning in a blind 20ft away from the tree a Kingfisher usually fishes from - I have never shot Kingfishers and besides the fact that they are incredibly fast, I don't have much idea on the best tricks to catch them diving / emerging from the water (hopefully fish in mouth).

@Steve any advice on AF set-up for the A1? I was going to shoot primarily with tracking off which is faster (and less confused by water droplets), and using whatever box size I can reliably keep on the bird, but open to any suggestion you have. Should I turn subject identification off altogether (I can always turn it off during the shoot, just trying to get started on the right foot)?

Cheers

I shoot kingfishers quite often and they’re definitely a very skittish bird. I use the A1 with either the 600mm or the 200-600. I normally use zone with bird eye detection enabled. I also use the medium box as well also with bird eye enabled. I’ve had no problem getting them in flight at 1/4000th using electronic shutter. Others may have different settings, but this is what works very well for me.

I shoot kingfishers quite often and they’re definitely a very skittish bird. I use the A1 with either the 600mm or the 200-600. I normally use zone with bird eye detection enabled. I also use the medium box as well also with bird eye enabled. I’ve had no problem getting them in flight at 1/4000th using electronic shutter. Others may have different settings, but this is what works very well for me.
Zone with subject ID on was where I was going to start so thanks for confirming I am on the right tracks. 1/4000th, wow, I guess i will need to practice my panning technique because I won't get those speeds for the first hour :) Ron, who owns the blind, has amazing panning shots at 1/80th 🤯 - I am pretty sure my skills are not on that level but I am hoping I can get some keepers at 1/500th... maybe 🤔.

I might stick to video for a bit, 4K120p at 1/250th should be pretty good, slow it down 5x to 24p might actually work nicely.

Be prepared for frustration. They have wonderful eyesight. I have been trying for several weeks to get the Kingfisher money shot - Hitting the water in a dive - but a myriad of difficulties appear. Keep at it - the first rule of wildlife photography is to Show-UP
Thanks Mike. Yes indeed. At least I should get a few shots of the bird on its perch, I should be able to manage that 😜 - everything else will be gravy!

I use Wide AF, no tracking. Bird Eye AF active. Sometimes I've tried tracking but still prefer just Wide.

Basically you need to keep the camera to your eye and I keep AF active on the bird while waiting for the dive. Then it is all down to your reaction time and panning ability. They go into the water for a couple seconds so you usually have time to get on the splash and catch them coming out.

I find the A1 sometimes loses the bird to the splash on entry. I have a second back button programmed to switch to Zone and I often use Zone to catch the KF when it is coming back out of the water as it is more predictable flight pattern then. Wide may jump to other things when the KF is under the water so Zone gets things back on target for the exit.

Most of my KF photography over the past few years has been from my kayak, handheld with 600GM, 400GM or 200-600. It can get tiring holding the camera on the bird waiting for it to dive. In a hide maybe you are planning to use a tripod/gimbal? I think that can work but it may hinder mobility tracking the bird down to the water?? I've never tried from tripod/gimbal.

Some of my kayak shots....
July 30, 2022-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
July 27, 2022.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
July 01, 2022-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
July 01, 2022.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
July 04, 2021-2.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
Contortionist.... by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr

Kingfishers are tough, but they are a bit predictable as they hit the water and then take off. That's the point at which they are the slowest.

As with other situations - choose your background and lighting. Don't chase record shots if you are looking for something better.

I use Wide AF, no tracking. Bird Eye AF active. Sometimes I've tried tracking but still prefer just Wide.

Basically you need to keep the camera to your eye and I keep AF active on the bird while waiting for the dive. Then it is all down to your reaction time and panning ability. They go into the water for a couple seconds so you usually have time to get on the splash and catch them coming out.

I find the A1 sometimes loses the bird to the splash on entry. I have a second back button programmed to switch to Zone and I often use Zone to catch the KF when it is coming back out of the water as it is more predictable flight pattern then. Wide may jump to other things when the KF is under the water so Zone gets things back on target for the exit.

Most of my KF photography over the past few years has been from my kayak, handheld with 600GM, 400GM or 200-600. It can get tiring holding the camera on the bird waiting for it to dive. In a hide maybe you are planning to use a tripod/gimbal? I think that can work but it may hinder mobility tracking the bird down to the water?? I've never tried from tripod/gimbal.

Those are spectacular, thanks for sharing and for the advice. If I get only one of those, considering it will be my first time, i'll be ecstatic :)

I will start on a tripod + Gimbal but if I can't track well enough, I'll switch to hand-held. We'll see how it goes but we need to get into the blind 1 hour before sunrise to not disturb the bird so I'll be very happy to have a tripod around that's for sure.

Kingfishers are tough, but they are a bit predictable as they hit the water and then take off. That's the point at which they are the slowest.

As with other situations - choose your background and lighting. Don't chase record shots if you are looking for something better.
Good advice Eric. I do have records shots of KF already - i will try and get some more exciting action shots this time around, that's for sure.

They are some awesome shots. Well done👍👍👍

Wow!

Back