Advice needed on video editing software

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm slowly starting to dip my toe into video photography with the Z8, so I'm going to need to edit said videos.
I have no idea about editing videos. Would Photoshop CS be a good place to start, or is it better to begin with something more simple such as freeware? I see Da Vinci Resolve recommended here.

DaVinci is nice but it's got a learning curve for sure.
If you have the Adobe photo package (lightroom/photoshop) you also get Adobe Rush which is quite easy to figure out and get running. The free version does lack a couple of features that DaVinci has like 4k export and image stabilization but it has plenty of other features to get you going.

Davinci Resolv free version.

Yes - it can be daunting when first starting due to it's large video/audio editing capabilities. But most of those capabilities/features are by far not needed for basic video editing.

Because of Resolv's popularity there's a large number of YouTube videos that can guide you from the basics to the advanced. To start learn only what workflow steps you need to get your footage edited and exported. YouTube is your friend. The other features/capability as needed or desired.

Rassie,

Speaking as a fairly long time Resolve user who started with the free version around V 15, as a Nikon shooter who shoots in N-Raw, nLog and HLG, I strongly recommend biting the bullet and getting started with learning Resolve with the free version. I tried Adobe Rush the BSINC mentioned and it works, but it really does have some limits and while easy to get started, it shields you from the concepts you need to know to effectively move to the next level. I can't speak to specifics of any of the other lower end editors out there now as I haven't researched any in years. Hopefully, someone here can.

As for hardware to support video editing, if you have a late model Mac based on M1 or M2 processor of some sort with the appropriate level of memory (16GB or more) you should be good for a while...:) On the Windows side, preferably an i7 based machine of 10th Generation or later with at least 16GB of memory (32GB preferable) and an nVidia GPU of RTX3060 level or better with at least 8GB of VRAM, more is better and the sky is the limit. As with still photos, fast SSD's for working storage help and you will need lot's of GB for archival storage, but that can be spinning discs.

The free version might be all you ever need, but the paid version at $300 is something you'll not outgrow...and likely only pay for once. If you're serious about shooting video and learning a video editor, don't waste your time learning something that is going to be a dead end. There are a LOT more things to learn about video, both in shooting and post processing in terms of frame rates, codecs, color spaces, gammas, LUTs, etc. It can, at times, seem an impenetrable wall of technical jargon when you get into the nitty gritty, but if I can sort it out, most people can. One nice aspect of Resolve is that it can automatically handle all the Nikon image formats and color spaces automatically if you use Resolve Color Management...you don't have to worry about LUT's, color spaces, etc...Resolve knows how to manage all that

The learning curve is, in some ways steeper, though if you really see yourself wanting to shoot more video in the future, it's time and effort well spent. There are plenty of resources available online and within this forum that can help. As far as I know, none of the free or cheap editors support N-Raw or HDR other than DaVinci Resolve...even Premier doesn't support N-Raw yet.

Last bit of advice...start shooting in H.265 or H.264, 8-bit, SDR...don't worry about N-Raw, nLog or HLG. You can play and edit these standard files on just about anything!

Cheers!

I'm slowly starting to dip my toe into video photography with the Z8, so I'm going to need to edit said videos.
I have no idea about editing videos. Would Photoshop CS be a good place to start, or is it better to begin with something more simple such as freeware? I see Da Vinci Resolve recommended here.
Highly recommend trying the free version of DaVinci Resolve. It is better than anything else available and so you will never outgrow it. It also includes a great audio editor.

If you decide to go to the paid version you can for $400 get a speed editor keyboard as well as the DaVinci license and the license lasts forever and no new charges for the upgrades and no monthly charges. DaVinci is targeted at large organizations with many people collaborating on a project and so they want newbies to be knowledgeable and able to use this software. Completely different business model from other companies.

If you’re an Apple guy…start with iMovie. Its fine for starting out and a lot of YouTubers find its all they need. Not as full featured as the higher priced spread…but it’s free and a good way to see if video is something you want to get interested in. I shoot video at 4K120 on my bodies because frequently one wants to slow wildlife down a bit. If not wildlife 30FPS is fine and better than 24 for stuff that will be viewed on a computer screen according to what I’ve read.

i presume you are talking about 4k video editing. What I use is

Wondershare Filmore and/ or Movavi Video editor plus 2022 version. They easy cover MOV-MP4 and AVCHD formats

If I can use them without any problems then anyone can. nothing complicated to learn

Last edited:
I would agree that DaVinci Resolve is a good place to start. It is full featured and if you find that you need the Studio version, the software alone is $295 with free upgrades but you can purchase the Speed Editor keyboard which includes the software for $395.

DaVinci Resolve includes a video editor as well as Fairlight, which is their audio editor, and Fusion which is their video effects application.

Here is the link to the DaVinci Resolve site which explains the components

Here is a link to their training materials, a good place to start.

I would also say that I can always find a training video when I get stuck while editing video in DaVinci Resolve.

The adobe photography plan does include a version of Rush but I have found the free version to be limiting.

Davinci Resolve, the free version.
It's free, there are tons of beginner, intermediate and advanced youTube tutorials. It's a truly amazing value with amazing capabilities.
And oh yes, it's FREE! :)
Rudy

@Rassie

There are three (four if you are making feature film) to consider at the "best" catagory, all operate similarly and all would produce great results once learned. I use two of these extensively: Adobe Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve (paid version).

I pick the program based on the project and in about half the cases I would actually use both programs on one project. DaVinci has the best and most extensive color correction and grading panel, very precise and very intuitive. Adobe has the best graphics and sound panels, and integrates better with other applications you might be needing to complete the project (Audition, Illustrator, After Effects and Photoshop in my case).

As far as Studio vs. free versions, the biggest difference is the depth of the color panel tools. If you're in Davinci primarily for the color panel, spring for the paid version. If you plan to work in 8k, the free version won't work. There are numerous articles about the differences.

In summary, I suggest looking at these two programs closely, play around a little, see what feels good. If you come from the Adobe ecosystem, the learning curve is less steep.

Final note. A couple years back BMC reached out to a bunch of YouTubers and handed out free Davinci software and hardware (they are a hardware company). Subsequently every wedding videographer out there was advocating it, calling it the best thing ever and there are probably 10,000 videos out there titled "why I switched from PP to DVR." Don't fall for the hype. It's great software which I use daily, but depending on what you are working on, it's no better and in some cases not as good than/as the other two programs. The key is gaining proficiency in whichever program you end up using as none is simple.

Folks, thanks very much for your advice. I have no experience with video and it feels like a waste to have such a capable camera (Z8) and not use the video feature. It's clear that there are times when still photography makes sense, and other times when video is absolutely indicated.

I have to start somewhere with video, and with your good advice here I've decided to start with DaVinci Resolve. I don't intend to initially shoot higher video resolution than 4K. I'll download that, peruse the internet tutorials, and then see how things develop from there.

Thanks again.

Folks, thanks very much for your advice. I have no experience with video and it feels like a waste to have such a capable camera (Z8) and not use the video feature. It's clear that there are times when still photography makes sense, and other times when video is absolutely indicated.

I have to start somewhere with video, and with your good advice here I've decided to start with DaVinci Resolve. I don't intend to initially shoot higher video resolution than 4K. I'll download that, peruse the internet tutorials, and then see how things develop from there.

Thanks again.
Great choice and have fun. Mzed has an excellent Master Class.

Thanks again.
Koos,
I have been dabbling in video for a couple years. I have used Adobe Elements Premiere for that time. About 3 weeks ago I started trying to learn Resolve. I can tell that it is a much better program and you are wise to start with it. In my searching, I found this short 9 minute video helpful to tell just a tiny bit about it, and thought it might help you also.
DaVinci has a few for just starting out that run1 to 1 1/2 hour each. I have watched them also. It can be daunting at times, but you have to crawl before you can walk.
Ask away here and you can get some help (sometimes).

Just thought I would mention a couple of things about videoing etc. one should also consider sound . A lot of onboard microphones are just not upto the task, and even if they are using outside wind rumble across the microphone is a huge problem to overcome
some years ago I made a video about this exact issue. I put a camcorder infront of a desk fan to simulate wind rumble. In the second in half (0.016 sec into video) I then added a seperate microphone with a wind cheater muffler (deadcat).

it is obvious the difference as per example above.
So the next question is do I get a directional or stereo microphone? here again after a lot of reasearch I came across an Azden SMX-30V which in my opinion is better than other well know makes. for example the audio cable is detachable
( and can be any length) so if damaged easily replaced, others are fixed into the microphone. It is powered by its own AA batteries or from camera /camcorder battery. has a dial from stereo to directional so no need for 2 micrphones. excellent sound reproduction. small microphones to me sound tinny

BxrP6jSm.jpg

Made this short clip to show this sound quality and distance

Last edited:
Back