AF hunting issue in Costa Rica

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This issue happened a lot and it was frustrating, causing me a few shots. I mostly used the 500 FL f4 with the FTZII adapter on the Z8, and if I was shooting a bird in a bush at close to the minimal focusing distance, the AF would not find the bird, no matter what AF mode I was in. I tried recomposing, turning the camera on and off, single point, and most of the time, it would not find it until I manually turned the focus ring and proved to the camera there was a bird there, only then it would work (proving that I was within focal distance). This is a sample situation image, uncropped and straight OOC: Look how big this Jay is in the frame, how could it miss it? It also happened a lot with smaller birds in bushes. It was definitely a challenging and learning experience trip. On a side note, I came back with a few wall hangers, so it was a worthwhile trip.
White-throated Magpie Jay-9800.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This is an extremely common phenomenon with MILC cameras when shooting near MFD and the focus is at some distant point. If there is nothing in the viewfinder it won’t rack the focus. The strategy you described namely a manual focus bump or alternatively pointing the camera at a nearby large object such as a tree trunk to activate the af are good approaches. FWIW, I experienced the same challenges this morning while looking for warblers in the nearby woods. Glad to hear you made a lot of great captures.

Yeah, you will want to prefocus near your minus focusing distance, either manually or by pointing at the ground nearby, in order to easily focus on relatively close subjects. This can be true with my "ancient" D500 DSLR at times, as well. Doesn't want to focus an a nearby dragonfly but searches off in the distance. I have heard that this is worse with mirrorless cameras for whatever reason. Sorry it screwed up some of your pics in Costa Rica. I would have been frustrated, as well. I love the "tassel" on top of the Jay's head. Cool picture!

Yeah, you will want to prefocus near your minus focusing distance, either manually or by pointing at the ground nearby, in order to easily focus on relatively close subjects. This can be true with my "ancient" D500 DSLR at times, as well. Doesn't want to focus an a nearby dragonfly but searches off in the distance. I have heard that this is worse with mirrorless cameras for whatever reason. Sorry it screwed up some of your pics in Costa Rica. I would have been frustrated, as well. I love the "tassel" on top of the Jay's head. Cool picture!
Thanks!

Back