AF noise when stopping down

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was hoping to see if anyone could explain/help with something I’ve noticed when stopping down/acquiring focus.
I normally shoot most of the time wide open (600 f4, 300 2.8 and 100-400) and when I press af on to aquire focus the lens/af is pretty much silent when acquiring focus wide opens Currently using an A1.

Today I was stopping down a little more using my 600f4 and noticed that when I acquired focus there was noise coming (like a clicking sound) from the lens when acquiring focus. I thought this might be an issue with the 600 lens however when using my other lenses it also happened with those. The longer the lens the more pronounced it seems. It’s only the initial button press to acquire focus and once focus is acquired it stops completely and silent whilst I hold down the button to track.

As it happens with all lenses it got me thinking what might be causing it ? As I said I typically shoot wide open and not something I’ve noticed really before.

Just want to make sure there’s not a setting or way to stop it happening. Hopefully it’ll be “that’s normal” …

Any help greatly appreciated

Usually the vibration reduction gets blamed for clicking noises. You could turn it totally off and see if that is the cause.
Thanks, this was first thing I tried but still thr same. As I said when wide open it’s virtually silent at f4, one I stop sown even to 4.5 when I press af there’s a small click. Also the same with my 300mm and 100-400. A lot less prounoced on the 100-400. It’s not horribly loud or too distracting but can’t understand why it’s happening when it’s silent wide open :-/

Could it be this; In Nikon mirrorless bodies aperture is adjusted to the value you set down to f/5.6 for metering and autofocusing. If you set an aperture smaller than f/5.6 the aperture stays at f/5.6 until the shutter is tripped.

Last edited:
Do you have aperture drive set to focus or standard ? If set to focus it quickly puts the lens to wide open when focusing , maybe it's stopping down and going wide open quickly whilst focusing ? I'd have thought its normal basically as mentioned above

Also try setting the camera to silent , it should stop it although probably struggle hunt more if your stopping down

Last edited:
Do you have aperture drive set to focus or standard ? If set to focus it quickly puts the lens to wide open when focusing , maybe it's stopping down and going wide open quickly whilst focusing ? I'd have thought its normal basically as mentioned above

Also try setting the camera to silent , it should stop it although probably struggle hunt more if your stopping down
Yes mate, set to standard and silent on

Back