AF-S issue on Z7 (not Z7 II)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

I just realized that despite that I have set the AF-S priority selection to Focus (a2), I am able to fire even when completely out of focus. I have the camera set to BBAF only (a7 to AF-ON only).
Also, sometimes in a kind of random way, all the buttons become irresponsive. Sometimes I fix it with a turn off/turn on, other times I have to remove and re-install the battery.
Recently I got a msg in the EVF showing that shutter was open or closed (I can't remember which one), and that I should press the shutter button. So I did and the problem went away.
I already did a "Reset all settings" but after the reset I loaded the saved settings in the memory card.
After that reset, I cannot tell about the "frozen buttons" issue but the ability of shooting out of focus in AF-S focus mode is still present.
Any ideas/suggestions will be more than welcome...

Last edited:
Hi Patrick, it was already set like that. I just forgot to mention it in my post.
it was the only thing that I could think of. My Z6 I have A7 set to AF-On Only -> DISABLE. It's Out Of Focus Release. Enabled it allows to shoot anytime, but disabled means you need to be in focus. I set AF-S then focused and shot, then manually un-focussed and it wouldn't shoot

Thx Patrick.
I never used AF-S before, I´ve using AF-C with BBAF since ages, but I started to spend more time doing macro photography and tried AF-S+BBAF+Pin point which brought me better results (with static insects).
I did some more experiments for the AF-S issue mentioned in my initial posts and I think it works as it should but the camera focusing software is a bit weird in my opinion. I found this:
AF-S focus mode+BBAF+a2 AF-S priority selection to Focus+a7 AF-On ONLY
1 - Just turn on the camera (from OFF to ON), point the camera to something that appears unfocused in the EVF, pressed the shutter button and it fires
2 - Pointed the camera into a white wall, the lens start hunting until it stops without acquiring focus (the focus point blinks), I try to shoot and it doesn't fire.

From the above experience I can only conclude that the AF-S priority selection to Focus (a7) only works after trying to focus on something.

It would be great if you or someone else could confirm my experience result..

Last edited:
A7 has two settings :.
- Shutter/ Af-On
- AF-On Only [ either Enable or Disable]

the latter is for out of focus release. Disable or Enable are the two settings.
with DISABLE in AF-S I cannot release the shutter out of focus
with ENABLE I can shoot out of focus.

in your trial, you haven't said whether you've enabled or disabled. However, I hope I'm clear.

A7 has two settings :.
- Shutter/ Af-On
- AF-On Only [ either Enable or Disable]

the latter is for out of focus release. Disable or Enable are the two settings.
with DISABLE in AF-S I cannot release the shutter out of focus
with ENABLE I can shoot out of focus.

in your trial, you haven't said whether you've enabled or disabled. However, I hope I'm clear.
Sorry my bad. The a7 was set to AF-ON only Enable. Now I changed it to Disable, and it works exactly as it should in a logic way. In AF-S mode, the camera never fires if focus is not acquired on something.
Thank you very much Patrick and sorry for making you waste your time with my slow understanding. 😵‍💫
Believe it or not, I have been using this camera for some significant time and I only understand how the AF-S focus priority works today (thanks to you)... shame on me

Back