AF Speed: Do You Have It All Wrong?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It might be too long of a delay set under blocked AF response. If it's a longer delay, the camera will hesitate before locking onto a new target. Try setting it at 1 or 2 - that's usually how I did with the DSLRs. With mirrorless, I tend to be in the middle around 3 (but it really depends on how sticky I need to to be vs how fast I need to to grab a new target from an old target).
Thanks for this tip, Steve. Does this setting also impact the ability to refocus if you are pumping the AF button (i.e. when you lose your subject and let up on the button to refocus)?

--Ken

Thanks for this tip, Steve. Does this setting also impact the ability to refocus if you are pumping the AF button (i.e. when you lose your subject and let up on the button to refocus)?

--Ken
It shouldn't. If you release the AF button, things should start over. I sometimes will set this to 4 or 5 and just release the AF button if it gets stuck. However, all of the delays are relatively quick anyway and I've never quite been able to decide if that way is more efficient than just setting a short delay :)

It shouldn't. If you release the AF button, things should start over. I sometimes will set this to 4 or 5 and just release the AF button if it gets stuck. However, all of the delays are relatively quick anyway and I've never quite been able to decide if that way is more efficient than just setting a short delay :)
That leaves me a bit stumped as to why focusing sometimes does not start over when I release and then try to refocus. My expectation (of the D500) is that the lens should rack through the entire range (or limited range if I have selected a limited focus range on the lens). I can understand not finding the subject at times (e.g. bird against a blue sky), but no lens movement at all is just maddening. And the camera has been looked at by Nikon and they say it operates as expected.

--Ken

That leaves me a bit stumped as to why focusing sometimes does not start over when I release and then try to refocus. My expectation (of the D500) is that the lens should rack through the entire range (or limited range if I have selected a limited focus range on the lens). I can understand not finding the subject at times (e.g. bird against a blue sky), but no lens movement at all is just maddening. And the camera has been looked at by Nikon and they say it operates as expected.

--Ken
That's odd. I have seen instances where nothing was in focus and, in fact, things were so out of focus that the camera didn't know which way to turn the focus ring - resulting in nothing happening when you press the AF button. I keep my finger on the focus ring for just such occasions. Not sure if that's what's happening, but kinda sound like it.

That's odd. I have seen instances where nothing was in focus and, in fact, things were so out of focus that the camera didn't know which way to turn the focus ring - resulting in nothing happening when you press the AF button. I keep my finger on the focus ring for just such occasions. Not sure if that's what's happening, but kinda sound like it.
Bingo - that describes the situation quite well, but I am a bit surprised that the camera does not have some type of automatic rack focusing through the range when it cannot identify a subject. But in either event, I think that your suggestion of a hand on the focus ring is a good idea. I typically try to find something in the distance that is easily accessible to the focus system (tree or large objects) and that sometimes works, but it is often not quick enough to catch the action I was trying to photograph. But I appreciate your responses, if only to know that I am not going crazy.

Thanks,

--Ken

Bingo - that describes the situation quite well, but I am a bit surprised that the camera does not have some type of automatic rack focusing through the range when it cannot identify a subject. But in either event, I think that your suggestion of a hand on the focus ring is a good idea. I typically try to find something in the distance that is easily accessible to the focus system (tree or large objects) and that sometimes works, but it is often not quick enough to catch the action I was trying to photograph. But I appreciate your responses, if only to know that I am not going crazy.

Thanks,

--Ken
I've thought the same thing when it happens, but I've seen it across enough different bodies to think it's just normal behavior. As you say, I think it's better to hunt than to do nothing.

I've thought the same thing when it happens, but I've seen it across enough different bodies to think it's just normal behavior. As you say, I think it's better to hunt than to do nothing.
I was afraid you were going to reply and say that you cannot vouch for my not being crazy. :rolleyes:

Thanks again and have a great holiday,

--Ken

Back