African Safari - Nikon 24-120mm f/4 + Nikon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You will get many, many varying opinions on this topic, so consider mine just one among several. I've made roughly 15 trips to Africa, however, so I have a bit of experience. On my most recent trip (2022), also spending some time on a game reserve, I took only my 24-120 and my 200-500. Were there times I wanted more reach? A few. Were there times in late evening when I wished I had a faster lens? A few. But, I am not afraid of a little noise in order to get a shot, so I simply increase the ISO. Plenty of ways to fix that in post.

In my opinion, you will get the most benefit out of a second body, having each body with a lens mounted and ready to go. Things happen quickly on a game drive. You might spot a rhino 200 yards out and want the reach of your 100-400, then right around the corner encounter a group of lions 30 feet from your vehicle. I had these exact experiences during my last trip. The animals will not wait around while you change lenses. And, dust is everywhere in most of southern Africa.

Plus, when people think "Africa" they immediately think "big telephoto for great distances." Africa is much more than that. The 24-120 will let you capture the glorious African sunsets, vast landscapes and interesting closeups. It is also ideal for portraits of the beautiful, highly interesting native peoples you will encounter (always ask if it is OK to take their picture). I personally would not consider a fast prime to be a better option; what focal length to choose? I would not trade flexibility for another f-stop.

I used to take several lenses on such trips that I might "need," only to find out that I rarely did. Every extra pound matters when you're traveling long distances. IMHO, a second body is more critical than multiple lenses, both for the reasons mentioned above, and in case of mechanical failure. You might also consider a good monopod and gimbal setup, which is easy to use in a vehicle or on foot, and helps compensate a bit for "slow" lenses. With the two lenses you have, plus TC, plus the option for DX, unless you are strictly interested in birds, you will have most everything you might encounter covered pretty well.

Enjoy your trip. Africa is wonderful on many different levels.
Spot on. Two bodies are nice for quick change overs. 400mm is a great lens for safaris. I love my 500mm PF, light and easy to move in a vehicle. I dont bother with big f4 lenses are they are too hard to manage in a vehicle.

I have been to Africa twice--one trip to Tanzania and the second trip to Botswana. Based on these two trips is suggest:
Two bodies with different lenses mounted.
Lenses--a long prime, 500mm f55.6 pf or 600mm 6.3 pf; zoom; the 100-400mm Z mount and/or the 70-180mm f2.8. And a 1.4x tc. You could substitute other versions of a 70-200 mm depending on weight and cost considerations. When I went, I took the nikon f mount 70-200mm f4. I left my heavier 70-200mm f2.8 at home.

Thanks for the wonderful feedback - We're currently looking at 12 nights in South Africa - 4 near the southern end of Kruger National Park (3 five-hour private game drives into Kruger). 4 nights up north in Selati (where will take 6-8 3-hour game drives). Then 4 nights in northern Sabi Sands (again, 6-8 3-hour game drives). We might cut that back a bit, but that's where we currently are. We are currently targeting June 2025 - so that gives me time to rent and try out some gear. In particular, I'll probably rent a Z8 + 600PF and try that combo out. At least I've got a pretty good feeling now that worst case the 24-120/100-400 is a decent option.
The Z8/600 pf is an amazing combo. I have Z8, Z9, 100-400, 400 f 4.5, 600 pf, and 800 pf. When traveling by plane, the Z8/600 + 1.4 tc is all I take, and the tc almost never goes on. As others have posted, I highly recommend taking a look at this combo.

Good point @wotan1 -

As an update: I am going to try out a Nikon 400mm f/4.5 in a month and a friend is lending me his 70-200mm f/2.8 to try out some stuff. If things go well, I'd probably go with the option you had suggested:

Nikon Z9
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
Nikon 400mm f/4.5

...and, I guess, take along the 100-400... which might be overkill, but I should have room...

We are planning on going 11-22 June 2025:

4 nights just out side Crocodile Bridge Gate into Southern Kruger (South Africa), then taking three 5-7 hour private game drives into there
4 nights in the southwestern part of Sabi Sands at a private game lodge taking up to eight 3-hour semi-private (4 or 6 people) game drives.
4 nights in the northern part of Sabi Sands at a private game lodge taking up to another eight 3-hour semi-private game drives

That's upwards of 60+ hours of game drives planned. The flights to/from the Kruger/Sabi Sands area have pretty decent allowances for check/carry-on : checked is 20kg (44lbs) total, with a size limit of 90cm x 72cm x 45cm (35" x 28" x 17"). The carry on is limited to 8KG (17lbs) total, with a size limit of 56cm x 36cm x 23cm (22" x 14" x 9")

My current backpack is an F-stop Ajna - which is just ever so slightly larger, so I'll be looking for something else as well.

This is always a tricky question, especially for long distance travellers and depending on which part of Southern Africa is visited and your interest.
For Sabi Sands, the animals are close and for 90% of your animal shots the 70-200 would be your go to lens and you have the f2.8 benefit for early morning and off course the evening drives. The leopard in my profile picture as an example, was shot during the evening drive with the 70-200 at iso 12800 f2.8 and at 135mm. So a huge benefit to have a fast lens available.

If you also need to capture some of the smaller birds (remember it is dry season and most migratory birds have left) then you would need a longer lens. I would say that a 400mm is a bit on the short side but still ok and then consider 1.4TC. For raptors, especially vultures the 70-200 can come in very handy as one normally gets very close to kills thus a long lens is simply "too much lens".

An analysis of the lenses I used during 2023 visiting Sabi Sands reveals the following:

Capture.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The 800mm was used for smaller birds or birds at a distance.
Then again if you would be visiting any other area the lens usage profiles would change and the 400mm might become the go to lens.

I have added a 180-600mm to my lenses since my last visit to Sabi Sands and this lens should work well in combo with 70-200mm, but would not be ideal for low light photography.

So my 2c worth of advice in Alan's case :
  • 24 - 120mm ( you would also use this lens around the camp fire / dinner pictures)
  • 100 - 400mm
  • 70 - 200mm if you can lay your hands on it.
  • 2x bodies Z8/Z9.
Get exited, Sabi Sands is a wonderful area to visit with great opportunities, both North, Western and Central parts, lots of lion dynamics and plenty leopards that is not shy at all.
You can watch Wild Earth on the Tube, they are based North Eastern side of Sabi Sands at a place called DJUMA, and transverse over a wide area including Chitwa.

To wet your appetite this is a photo of the "crown prince" leopard fondly known as Marieps. Photo taken 2022 near Chitwa.

Last edited:
Thanks much Bertie, watching a lot of vlogs on the various Sabi Sands (and Mala Mala) game drives seem to show quite a high likelihood of getting good game shots in much closer than I had expected. BTW: That is a wonderful image!

Interestingly enough Thom Hogan prefers the 70-180 f/2.8 more for these safari kits as it is smaller/lighter. It too can take the 1.4TC. I might look into that as well as an option if price/weight start rearing their ugly heads...

The good thing about the 24-120 is it is very compact, so adding a 3rd lens to the kit seems ok.

For sure I'll be having the Z9/Z8 combo as the bodies.

Martin yes, for Kenya and Tanzania definitely long lens territory. For Namibia at Etosha also long lens but shorter lens can be very handy.
Strangely my stats shows 70-200 with 1.4tc, I have never owned or used a 1.4tc so wonder what is with LRC.

Alan
You can always hire a 600 mm from reputable guys in SA. You have to land in Johannesburg or Cape Town. So try Orms Cape Town or ODP Pretoria. Both above reproach dealers.
Just a thought, it cuts down on bringing more gear and insurance maybe. The $ is so stong, nearly R19, so rental should not be a deal breaker.

Just looked back at Sabi Sands. I used the old 200-400mm f4 most of the time.
I have a feeling that the first 3 (long) game trips into the Kruger may be more like (e.g.) Kenya or Tanzania w/ long shots needed, but I think that your notion of 200-400 for Sabi Sands seems to be what I am finding most of in my searches. Thanks for the information!

Alan
If it is Kruger you visiting, 28-600 and longer, range is right. We have been going for 40 years or so. Most animals will be covered by up to 400 mm. In the hides, 600 +1.4 is sometimes short for smaller birds. You cannot cover all eventualities. 99% of my images are 500PF on D500 and 80-400 on D850.
Coming from both a 600 f./4 and a 400 f/2.8 Nikors, the above will cover all your requirements.
What I will recommend is a Badger Beanbag to shoot off the car door.
Happy visit to our beautiful countty

I have a feeling that the first 3 (long) game trips into the Kruger may be more like (e.g.) Kenya or Tanzania w/ long shots needed, but I think that your notion of 200-400 for Sabi Sands seems to be what I am finding most of in my searches. Thanks for the information!
There are a couple of possible scenarios in Kruger when it comes to private game drives. If you are staying at a lodge outside the park boundary then you’ll likely be on an OSV (open safari vehicle) from either the lodge itself or a third party operator. They are bound by the same park rules as if you were driving your own vehicle (even though some think they aren’t but that’s another topic lol!}. Because of this they can’t go off road and a longer lens is definitely usefu. I use my 200-600 Sony.
Then there are some smaller private concessions within the park itself like Hamilton’s tented camp, Hoyo Hoyo etc where they have a private area that they can go off road in, similar to Sabi Sands and other completely private reserves. In such cases they are able to get very close to lions, leopards etc. A 70-200/300 or 100-400 is probably more useful for those types of game drives. HTH. I normally prefer to self drive in the park and mix It up with a few nights on a private reserve. Both are good in different ways.

There are a couple of possible scenarios in Kruger when it comes to private game drives. If you are staying at a lodge outside the park boundary then you’ll likely be on an OSV (open safari vehicle) from either the lodge itself or a third party operator. They are bound by the same park rules as if you were driving your own vehicle (even though some think they aren’t but that’s another topic lol!}. Because of this they can’t go off road and a longer lens is definitely usefu. I use my 200-600 Sony.
Then there are some smaller private concessions within the park itself like Hamilton’s tented camp, Hoyo Hoyo etc where they have a private area that they can go off road in, similar to Sabi Sands and other completely private reserves. In such cases they are able to get very close to lions, leopards etc. A 70-200/300 or 100-400 is probably more useful for those types of game drives. HTH. I normally prefer to self drive in the park and mix It up with a few nights on a private reserve. Both are good in different ways.
Thanks much to you & @Callie - We will be spending 4 nights just outside of the Crocodile Bridge Gate and having private drives into Kruger, then a total of 8 nights at two different private lodges in Sabi Sands.

I am testing out the 400mm f/4.5 at the end of the month - if that works out, then my current plans are : Nikon Z9, Nikon Z8 (rented?) with Nikon 24-120mm f/4, 100-400mm 4.5-5.6, and then the 400mm f/4.5. I'll bring along the 1.4TC. From the sounds of things I'll probably use the 400 and 100-400mm a lot in both places. [Maybe the 1.4TC on the 400 at Kruger].

The good thing is that w/ three long game drives (5-7 hours each) at Kruger, I can "learn" on the first one and be better prepared for the next two. Then w/ upwards of 14-16 three-hour game drives in Sabi Sands I'll also have some time to "learn" about that environment. The more I hear from experienced folks, the more I think that having a long-ish prime (400mm f/4.5) will definitely be helpful in both places: range in Kruger and subject isolation there and in Sabi Sands.

I really appreciate all the great feedback!

We are starting to plan a 40th wedding anniversary trip to South Africa and whilst this is *not* a photography expedition, my wife fully encourages me on these trips to do some semi-serious photography ;-) Anyways, I have been a (mostly) landscape photographer for a number of years now - but as I approach retirement I want to start picking up wildlife photography (birding in particular). And for this trip, mostly mammals of course, I'd like to bring appropriate gear. We will be staying at (mostly) private game reserves - and from what I've seen that can result in a lot of close-in photography as you can get quite close to the animals on game drives. But, of course, you also need some distance. (sigh). I currently own the 24-120 + 100-400 (+ 1.4TC) for my Nikon Z9. [Before retirement I am looking into a long prime lens for birding - maybe the 600 or 800 PF?]

In my research I've seen a lot about (a) needing faster lenses for early morning/evening times, (b) that you really need to get to 600mm if at all possible, and (c) having two set ups with you can really make a big difference. To that end I am thinking of renting a Z8/Z9 as a second body and taking these two lenses. I know w/ the 1.4TC I get to 560mm w/ the 100-400mm - and I can DX it into a 20MP 840mm f/8 lens at the touch of a button. My thoughts are to have the 24-120mm on the rented body and the 100-400mm on the Z9 in lower light situations and add the 1.4TC when the light is better. [That would give me a focal distance range of 24-400/600mm(DX) in low light and 24-560/840mm(DX) in good light]

The question is then: would I really suffer during the low-light periods w/ the relatively slow lenses - f/4 at best, f/5.6 at worst? Should I really be thinking of dropping the (say) 24-120mm and renting some fast-ish prime instead?
Another opinion to consider.
Just returned from safari in South Africa and Botswana. Stayed at 4 camps in private conservancies so we off-roaded. On the Z9 I had the 180-600. If I needed more reach (typically for birds) I switched to DX mode rather than add the 1.4 TC. Smaller file size on photos that would be heavily cropped later was my rationale. Plus you do not want to swap lenses or add a TC in the field if you can avoid it. On the Z8 I had the light 70-180 f/2.8 lens. Since game drives started before sunrise and ended after sunset, this fast lens came in handy. I also spent time in a hide by a waterhole. In the past, I used the 24-120 here but this time I went with the 70-180 or 24-200 in addition to the 180-600.

My back up telephoto for this trip (which I never needed) was the f mount 300 PF/1.4 TC.

I mount the Z9/180-600 on a monopod which makes handling easier and allows me to lower SS when subjects are still and I want to lower ISO. Shoot Manual Auto ISO.

100-400 does not have adequate reach for me so I much prefer the 180-600. Less expensive and better all around for my purposes. Have used 500 PF in past safaris, but personally prefer a zoom for composition and flexibility.

Had a 70-200 f/2.8 lens in past but did not travel with it due to size/weight limitations. But the lighter, less expensive 70-180 is now always with me. And both 180-600 and 70-180 take the 1.4 TC if more reach is needed. Or just DX to avoid 1 stop loss. I have no issue going into DX mode since I previously owned the d500 and was just as happy with it as the d850.

Thanks much to you & @Callie - We will be spending 4 nights just outside of the Crocodile Bridge Gate and having private drives into Kruger, then a total of 8 nights at two different private lodges in Sabi Sands.

I am testing out the 400mm f/4.5 at the end of the month - if that works out, then my current plans are : Nikon Z9, Nikon Z8 (rented?) with Nikon 24-120mm f/4, 100-400mm 4.5-5.6, and then the 400mm f/4.5. I'll bring along the 1.4TC. From the sounds of things I'll probably use the 400 and 100-400mm a lot in both places. [Maybe the 1.4TC on the 400 at Kruger].

The good thing is that w/ three long game drives (5-7 hours each) at Kruger, I can "learn" on the first one and be better prepared for the next two. Then w/ upwards of 14-16 three-hour game drives in Sabi Sands I'll also have some time to "learn" about that environment. The more I hear from experienced folks, the more I think that having a long-ish prime (400mm f/4.5) will definitely be helpful in both places: range in Kruger and subject isolation there and in Sabi Sands.

I really appreciate all the great feedback!

Sounds like you may be doing a similar trip to me this summer. We are staying in a private game reserve in Sabi Sands (maybe I'll see you there!). From all the research I've done (and great feedback here) you do tend to get a lot closer with the private game reserves like Sabi Sands then in Kroger itself. I shoot Sony so my choices are a bit different than yours but based on that research/feedback I'm leaving the 600F4 at home and taking the 300 f2.8 (with both TCs), 70-200 f2.8, and the 200-600 (plus a couple of wide angle/normal lenses). My plan is that the 300+1.4xTC and 70-200 will see most of the action and the 200-600 for backup or if I find that it would be a better fit then the 70-200 on the 2nd body.

Sounds like you may be doing a similar trip to me this summer. We are staying in a private game reserve in Sabi Sands (maybe I'll see you there!). From all the research I've done (and great feedback here) you do tend to get a lot closer with the private game reserves like Sabi Sands then in Kroger itself. I shoot Sony so my choices are a bit different than yours but based on that research/feedback I'm leaving the 600F4 at home and taking the 300 f2.8 (with both TCs), 70-200 f2.8, and the 200-600 (plus a couple of wide angle/normal lenses). My plan is that the 300+1.4xTC and 70-200 will see most of the action and the 200-600 for backup or if I find that it would be a better fit then the 70-200 on the 2nd body.
Hi John - We are going next summer (June 2025) - would love to hear how your selection worked out. That seems like a lot of lenses 3 listed plus a "couple of wide angle/normal" - Are you concerned about size/weight?

I know I have a carry on limit of 8KG (~17.5lbs) in South Africa (two flights) - the two camera bodies I am taking already have me at 5lbs to start, adding in the three lenses (24-120mm f/4, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, 400mm f/4.5) adds another 7.2lbs - total is at least 12.2lbs for that gear. Then I have extra batteries (camera, power bank) and storage devices (back up). Oh, and the bag itself - I've been looking at the Gura Gear Kiboko 30L - which itself weighs almost 4lbs - so that means 16.2lbs out of a 17.5lb allotment. Not much to play with...

Last edited:
Hi John - We are going next summer (June 2025) - would love to hear how your selection worked out. That seems like a lot of lenses 3 listed plus a "couple of wide angle/normal" - Are you concerned about size/weight?

I know I have a carry on limit of 8KG (~17.5lbs) in South Africa (two flights) - the two camera bodies I am taking already have me at 5lbs to start, adding in the three lenses (24-120mm f/4, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, 400mm f/4.5) adds another 7.2lbs - total is at least 12.2lbs for that gear. Then I have extra batteries (camera, power bank) and storage devices (back up). I'm not sure I can carry more lenses easily... [Although I have heard/seen some people place the 24-120mm (or equivalent) into their check bag. I'd be very leery about doing that...]

We are only taking commercial (jet) internal flights so I don't have to worry about the weight as much. Right now I'm right at 17lbs minus the extras, but I can hand stuff off to my wife if needed :)

1712156342969.png

The question is then: would I really suffer during the low-light periods w/ the relatively slow lenses - f/4 at best, f/5.6 at worst? Should I really be thinking of dropping the (say) 24-120mm and renting some fast-ish prime instead?
On this detail, if you are not planning to be in the game park before sunrise, fast lenses are not essential. With more than a year to go it is perhaps too early to decide on this detail.

You have plenty of time to practice with PP noise reduction software that is more than decent at 10,000 ISO as an alternative to f2.8 lenses.

A minus of the possible 600 mm f6 .3 is it is not a zoom. – Wildlife in game parks rarely stands at the right distance for good framing for the fixed focal length you have on the camera body.

On this detail, if you are not planning to be in the game park before sunrise, fast lenses are not essential. With more than a year to go it is perhaps too early to decide on this detail.

You have plenty of time to practice with PP noise reduction software that is more than decent at 10,000 ISO as an alternative to f2.8 lenses.

A minus of the possible 600 mm f6 .3 is it is not a zoom. – Wildlife in game parks rarely stands at the right distance for good framing for the fixed focal length you have on the camera body.
Hi Len -

We will be going out on game drives early morning and early evening, so wider lenses seem to be important and, as pointed out by Wotan1, it would also be good for subject isolation.

Hi Len -

We will be going out on game drives early morning and early evening, so wider lenses seem to be important and, as pointed out by Wotan1, it would also be good for subject isolation.
Often one sees the most interesting wildlife when light is very low, like bat-eared foxes and aarwolfs. And even leopards, owls and servals do their hunts when light is low. Like this aardwolf:

Last edited:
Good point @wotan1 -

As an update: I am going to try out a Nikon 400mm f/4.5 in a month and a friend is lending me his 70-200mm f/2.8 to try out some stuff. If things go well, I'd probably go with the option you had suggested:

Nikon Z9
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
Nikon 400mm f/4.5
I went for the last 5 years in the month of July to Sabi Sands and the Kruger Park. Last year with the Z9 - Z400mm 4.5 and the Z8 - Z70-200 2.8. Most of what I have used in Sabi Sands is the Z8 with the Z70-200 2.8. Very happy with the 400 and the 70-200. Unfortunately no Sabi Sands this year but Tswalu and Madikwe game reserve. Which lodge are you going to in Sabi Sands

Back