African Safari

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

May 3rd, 2024

Hi Folks,

45 years ago I was working in Kenya and Tanzania as a commercial pilot for one year. I had the great fortune to be able to go on a number of Safari's in both countries. I loved the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro crater, and a remote location called Stiegler's Gorge. Lake Nakuru was also an amazing Flamingo location with literally 20,000+ flamingos circling the lake and feeding in this shallow lake.

I have never had the opportunity to return until now, and I'm thinking of going on a self driving safari, which is what I did all those years ago in a company landrover. Because so many years have passed since I was there I have a few questions for those forum members who have been to East Africa in the last couple of years. I'm writing today to solicit your advice.

First, I'm wondering if anyone has some advice in terms of the best locations for wildlife photography? I'm thinking of going for three weeks in June or July, so I can always visit multiple locations, perhaps a week at each one. Please leave me a comment if you have some knowledge or advice to share in this regard. Mammals and birds are my main interest.

Second, when I lived there it was generally a very safe place and I never worried about security for myself or my gear. In fact, I have a interesting story about Arusha, Tanzania where I accidentally left my camera gear in a restaurant. I realized my mistake and returned 30 minutes later to see if my gear was still there, half expecting it to be gone. To my amazement the restaurant staff had tucked it away to protect it, and immediately brought it out for me when they saw that I returned. Honest people to say the least. So the question is, how safe you felt either in the airports or in the game areas that you visited, and with perhaps a mention of where you were.

Third, if you have been on multiple photo safari's can you name the one area that was your favorite, the time of year that you went and why it was your favorite?

Fourth, when I lived there the line voltage was 240V 50hz and I'm wondering what peoples experience was with respect to charging or running a laptop?

Finally, I'm looking for a new camera backpack that would fit my 600mm, a couple of other lenses of course, and two camera bodies. It will need to be compatible with overhead storage bins, so probably a 40 to 50L bag, with storage for my laptop, etc. I've watched a few reviews but it would be nice to get some real life advice on what to select for my trip. Ease of access is important, so probably top loading for the 600mm and either back or front loading for the bulk of the gear. Your thoughts?

I truly appreciate your help with these few questions and look forward to reading your replies (assuming there are some.... :)

Cheers,

There are plenty of posts here about backpacks like this one:

On the voltage and frequency, no issue, all chargers these days work with the ancient 110V 60hz or the 220/240V 50/60Hz
See this one also:

Reactions: BWP
Back