Big Prime - Camera Bags & Backpacks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bags are always the topic of a lot of discussion, especially once you get some monster wildlife primes.

I wanted to post and allow people to drop pics and descriptions of their setups, and see if we can learn more about the best ways to carry this gear.

Specifically - I'd love an alternative to carry the 400TC + 800PF, outside of the Boris IV. I love that bag, but it is oversized for some airlines, and wanted to see if there was anything smaller or tighter.

Does anyone have both the 400TC/800PF and a Mindshift 36L that can test to see if it all fits?

I'll post some bag combos below, some of which are mine and some of which were sent to me by friends

#1 - Mindshift 40L -> RF 800 F5.6, R5 + RF 400 F2.8 + 1.4x TC, R5, R5 + RF 100-500, RF 600 F4

Mindshift 40L (4).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

#2 - Mindshift 40L -> R5 + EF 300 F2.8 L I S, 2x + 1.4x TC, RF 600 F4

Mindshift 40L.jpg

#3 - Mr Jan Gear Boris IV -> R5, RF 600 F4, R5, RF 400 F2.8, 2x + 1.4x TC

Mr Jan Gear Boris IV.jpg

#4 - Think Tank Airport International V3 -> 2x Z9, Z 70-200 F2.8, Z 400TC, extra lens

think tank airport international v3.jpg

#5 - Mindshift 36L - Z9, Z8, Z 400TC, Z 100-400, Z 14-30, Z 24-120

Mindshift 36L.jpg

#6 - Mindshift 36L - Z9, Z8, Z 400TC, Z 180-600, Z 24-120

Mindshift 36L (2).png

#7 - Mindshift 36L - 2x Z9, 400TC + 800PF

20240404_205809 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent post and like you, I am always looking for better solutions to carry gear. Right now, I am looking at bags to haul two Z8's, a 186, 800 PF, and another wider angle lens (24-120, 70-180, etc.) + accessories which would be airlines compliant and carried in the field. Don't really like the TT Airport series for that reason.

In terms of your question, I doubt the MS 36L will fit those two lenses as it barely could accommodate the 186, 800 PF, and two detached Z8's.

Holy crap that's a lot of long primes!

Yeah here in Michigan we have crappy gloomy weather most of the year, so instead of shooting I just collect lenses.

Only got into photography 3 years ago, but I've owned every mirrorless tele from all 3 big brands (Sony, Nikon, Canon).

The gear is becoming more of a hobby than the shooting itself. 🤣

Excellent post and like you, I am always looking for better solutions to carry gear. Right now, I am looking at bags to haul two Z8's, a 186, 800 PF, and another wider angle lens (24-120, 70-180, etc.) + accessories which would be airlines compliant and carried in the field. Don't really like the TT Airport series for that reason.

In terms of your question, I doubt the MS 36L will fit those two lenses as it barely could accommodate the 186, 800 PF, and two detached Z8's.

do you have pics of your MS36L and what you described? the MS36L easily fits the 186, 800PF, and 2x attached Z9s so I'm not sure how yours "could barely accommodate" a slightly smaller setup lol

for smaller lenses (70-200, 100-400, wide angles) I usually just bring them in my "personal item" which is a Fjallraven computer bag thingy. I figure I could probably fit both Z9 bodies in there too if needed.

Yeah here in Michigan we have crappy gloomy weather most of the year, so instead of shooting I just collect lenses.

Only got into photography 3 years ago, but I've owned every mirrorless tele from all 3 big brands (Sony, Nikon, Canon).

The gear is becoming more of a hobby than the shooting itself. 🤣

do you have pics of your MS36L and what you described? the MS36L easily fits the 186, 800PF, and 2x attached Z9s so I'm not sure how yours "could barely accommodate" a slightly smaller setup lol

for smaller lenses (70-200, 100-400, wide angles) I usually just bring them in my "personal item" which is a Fjallraven computer bag thingy. I figure I could probably fit both Z9 bodies in there too if needed.
What part of M are you in? Yes, there is little color (except in the fall) and the luminosity stinks, but hey we have water. Lots and lots of water. Anyhow, here's a photo of my MS36L with the 800 PF (no hood, I use a collapsable when traveling), the 186, and two z8's. I pulled the center divider as my travel strategy is to sheath the lenses in neoprene and pull the dividers. That way, I can maximize space for accessories. In the ~2-3" in between the lenses I can fit the collapsable hood, charger, cords, etc. (all removed for the photo). If I am brave, I can nudge another compact lens in there though it creates a lot of pressure. It's tight and heavy. Adding a laptop makes it truly unwieldy.

MS36L0000.jpg

And now something completely different. When on a zodiac on the look to shoot polar bears for instance will you have to protect your gear from the aggressive sea water. There can also be a layer of water in the zodiac what ideally requires you to have a true waterproof bag but still allow you easy access to your gear. That is where most to all camera bags fail for now. A bag that is popular to those shooters in the Arctic is the Ortlieb Atrack:
https://www.ortlieb.com/nl_nl/atrack+R7055

The issue with this bag is that it doesn't have proper padding as it is not a camera bag as such. In May will MrJanGear release an insert for this bag.

Biosecurity in Antarctica for instance is really strict and this to avoid bringing in not only diseases to bird life but also foreign plant matter. Velcro is a nightmare in terms of biosecurity so this insert was made without it. Just thought worth sharing this new kid on the block.

Last edited:
And now something completely different. When on a zodiac on the look to shoot polar bears for instance will you have to protect your gear from the aggressive sea water. There can also be a layer of water in the zodiac what ideally requires you to have a true waterproof bag but still allow you easy access to your gear. That is where most to all camera bags fail for now. A bag that is popular to those shooters in the Arctic is the Ortlieb Atrack:

The issue with this bag is that it doesn't have proper padding as it is not a camera bag as such. In May will MrJanGear release an insert for this bag.

Biosecurity in Antarctica for instance is really strict and this to avoid bringing in not only diseases to bird life but also foreign plant matter. Velcro is a nightmare in terms of biosecurity so this insert was made without it. Just thought worth sharing this new kid on the block.

Very cool concept with a lot of people who could benefit from it I bet.

Unfortunately I'm not one of them haha.

For me, the backpack primarily is used just for transporting from the house to the car, car to plane, plane to hotel, whatever. The main concern is just fitting carryon standards for airlines.

What part of M are you in? Yes, there is little color (except in the fall) and the luminosity stinks, but hey we have water. Lots and lots of water. Anyhow, here's a photo of my MS36L with the 800 PF (no hood, I use a collapsable when traveling), the 186, and two z8's. I pulled the center divider as my travel strategy is to sheath the lenses in neoprene and pull the dividers. That way, I can maximize space for accessories. In the ~2-3" in between the lenses I can fit the collapsable hood, charger, cords, etc. (all removed for the photo). If I am brave, I can nudge another compact lens in there though it creates a lot of pressure. It's tight and heavy. Adding a laptop makes it truly unwieldy.

I'm right smack dab in the middle near Lansing.

Interesting indeed.. you've managed to pack significantly less equipment but make it look significantly more cramped lol. I think you have a lot of room to play around and improve the efficiency of that setup. check out the pics I posted in the OP from Bruce.

Last edited:
I'm right smack dab in the middle near Lansing.

Interesting indeed.. you've managed to pack significantly less equipment but make it look significantly more cramped lol. I think you have a lot of room to play around and improve the efficiency of that setup. check out the pics I posted in the OP from Bruce.
Maybe I received a MS34+L instead? o_O I am unable to squeeze in the Z8 attached to the 800 and chose to maximize the space by pulling the dividers. They list the internal dimensions as: 21.1 x 12.6 x 7.1. Mine measures 19 x 10 x 5 ish at the center, when there is anything in the top or front pockets. It's not supposed to be a 26L and I paid for a 36L. A Z8 with a 800 PF measures a tad over 18" and it will fit attached to a Z8 at the center, though that leaves little room for anything else. At the sides, it barely measures in at 17" long. I had better go back and see what happened as I ordered this bag over 2 years ago.

Maybe I received a MS34+L instead? o_O I am unable to squeeze in the Z8 attached to the 800 and chose to maximize the space by pulling the dividers. They list the internal dimensions as: 21.1 x 12.6 x 7.1. Mine measures 19 x 10 x 5 ish at the center, when there is anything in the top or front pockets. It's not supposed to be a 26L and I paid for a 36L. A Z8 with a 800 PF measures a tad over 18" and it will fit attached to a Z8 at the center, though that leaves little room for anything else. At the sides, it barely measures in at 17" long. I had better go back and see what happened as I ordered this bag over 2 years ago.

it's possible. I bought what was advertised as a 36L on eBay a few weeks ago and it ended up being a 26L. Guy partially refunded me $100 and let me keep the bag.

I don't have my own 36L yet, because spending another $350 on a bag is insane when I have so many already. I've been looking for used ones, but they're far and few between

you should be able to just look on the side of the bag and it'll tell you what model it is

EDIT: I just looked up the 26L dimensions and they say internal 19.3 x 10.2 x 5.9, so I suspect you've probably been living your life thinking you had a 36L, when it was really a 26L

A big part of the challenge associated with packing great big telephotos is that the lens hood(s) are so space-demanding. If one either packs the lens hood(s) in one's checked luggage or else uses a soft travel lens hood, suddenly there is a lot more room in one's bag.

I'll give it a shot. I've got a couple of those "soft" lenscoat hoods lying around from buying used primes over the years. I usually find that the hoods offset eachother pretty well and don't take up that much space - but I can certainly remove them and see how big of a difference it makes.

Last edited:
it's possible. I bought what was advertised as a 36L on eBay a few weeks ago and it ended up being a 26L. Guy partially refunded me $100 and let me keep the bag.

I don't have my own 36L yet, because spending another $350 on a bag is insane when I have so many already. I've been looking for used ones, but they're far and few between

you should be able to just look on the side of the bag and it'll tell you what model it is

EDIT: I just looked up the 26L dimensions and they say internal 19.3 x 10.2 x 5.9, so I suspect you've probably been living your life thinking you had a 36L, when it was really a 26L
Yup, it appears I was ripped off and never realized it. Paid the camera store for a 36L and they delivered a 26L. Though I have the receipt, they won't stand by it because of the sale date. I always wondered why the bag seemed a bit cramped. :whistle: It has little utility for me so I'll probably sell it for a few scraps. I'm not so enamored with the MS bags as I think they're suspension systems are weak (i.e. the straps are poorly designed/padded/lack torso adjustability). I'm thinking of taking an old carryon backpack from Tortuga, buying some EVA foam, lining it and making dividers.

Last edited:
As a first step in choosing a new bag I first go to the BH Photo website as they have filters to allow one to sort bags based on their internal dimensions. I know the minimum length I need for a lens and also the minimum depth to allow for the lens hood. This provides me with a short list. With shoulder bags the minimum depth is that needed to put a camera with a 70-200mm lens mounted inside the bag.

I have 3 sizes of shoulder bags and 3 sizes of backpacks that I use depending on my kit. My Bataflae 18L is good for a landscape and astro photography kit. My Bataflae 26L is good for using medium size telephotos (100-400mm, 180-600mm) mounted on a camera. The Bataflae 32L is used with my 800mm PF and was used with a succession of 600mm f/4 lenses.

As a first step in choosing a new bag I first go to the BH Photo website as they have filters to allow one to sort bags based on their internal dimensions. I know the minimum length I need for a lens and also the minimum depth to allow for the lens hood. This provides me with a short list. With shoulder bags the minimum depth is that needed to put a camera with a 70-200mm lens mounted inside the bag.

I have 3 sizes of shoulder bags and 3 sizes of backpacks that I use depending on my kit. My Bataflae 18L is good for a landscape and astro photography kit. My Bataflae 26L is good for using medium size telephotos (100-400mm, 180-600mm) mounted on a camera. The Bataflae 32L is used with my 800mm PF and was used with a succession of 600mm f/4 lenses.

care to post any pictures of the various setups? we'd love to see them!

Infuriatingly, insufficient Bag Depth becomes a big obstacle packing wide telephotos into most photography backpacks. Probably the pragmatic solution is to find the best ICU and then select your backpack best suited for your Activity/Trip: flying (=getting gear into the cab), car travel, hiking etc... Different packs for different activities.

I've found the MS Elite packs - 45 Elite included - struggle to fit the widest telephotos, namely 400 f2.8 / 600 f4 at ~160mm diameter. However, the the largest fStop ICUs provide the best solution. These fit with protection a 800 PF and an even wider prime. I've found the fStop Tilopa or better their Sukha pack work best to carry these widest telephotos or rather these big lenses fit in the largest - deepest - ICUs.

The largest Vanguard Alta Sky packs also have decent space in the primary compartment; they use built-in padding, so no ICUs similar to many smaller backpacks. Unfortunately, these packs are missing outer compartments for accessories; so I attach 1 or 2 Cable Management zip bags (ThinkTank) on to the outside straps: under the tripod/drone flap. I like the Vanguard harness better than the Mindshift Elite packs, and use the 51D for day hikes (800 PF, 2 cameras, 100-400 S or 500 PF, 14-30 S, 24-120 S).

Since I did some intensive research 3-4 years ago, today, there are more options in designs of outdoor backpacks, which have gained prominence and/or are new releases eg NYA-EVO, MrJanGear.

https://bcgforums.com/threads/nya-evo-50c-backpack.33060/post-372374

Last edited:
Infuriatingly, insufficient Bag Depth becomes a big obstacle packing wide telephotos into most photography backpacks. Probably the pragmatic solution is to find the best ICU and then select your backpack best suited for your Activity/Trip: flying (=getting gear into the cab), car travel, hiking etc... Different packs for different activities.

I've found the MS Elite packs - 45 Elite included - struggle to fit the widest telephotos, namely 400 f2.8 / 600 f4 at ~160mm diameter. However, the the largest fStop ICUs provide the best solution. These fit with protection a 800 PF and an even wider prime. I've found the fStop Tilopa or better their Sukha pack work best to carry these widest telephotos or rather these big lenses fit in the largest - deepest - ICUs.

The largest Vanguard Alta Sky packs also have decent space in the primary compartment; they use built-in padding, so no ICUs similar to many smaller backpacks. Unfortunately, these packs are missing outer compartments for accessories; so I attach 1 or 2 Cable Management zip bags (ThinkTank) on to the outside straps: under the tripod/drone flap. I like the Vanguard harness better than the Mindshift Elite packs, and use the 51D for day hikes (800 PF, 2 cameras, 100-400 S or 500 PF, 14-30 S, 24-120 S).

Since I did some intensive research 3-4 years ago, today, there are more options in designs of outdoor backpacks, which have gained prominence and/or are new releases eg NYA-EVO, MrJanGear.

https://bcgforums.com/threads/nya-evo-50c-backpack.33060/post-372374

I believe most of the FStop and Nya Evo bags exceed common carry-on dimensions though, right? Or atleast the bigger bags that offer advantages over stuff like the MS36L or Boris IV?

I think they would be good if you wanted local transport only - or if you wanted to push your luck while flying. but I don't know that many do.

Then again - if you use ICU's in those bags, if they hassle you - you can just pull out the ICU like normal. So in this way, maybe they are just bigger Peak Design/Shimoda bags.

Last edited:
I believe most of the FStop and Nya Evo bags exceed common carry-on dimensions though, right? Or atleast the bigger bags that offer advantages over stuff like the MS36L or Boris IV?
There's much overlapping forum discussion with bags about flying with photo gear, big glass especially.
I've had no problems with my fStop Sukha in southern Africa.
I think they would be good if you wanted local transport only - or if you wanted to push your luck while flying. but I don't know that many do.

Then again - if you use ICU's in those bags, if they hassle you - you can just pull out the ICU like normal. So in this way, maybe they are just bigger Peak Design/Shimoda bags.
Yes exactly :)
The removable ICU is a key backup IF airline staff stop such a pack. The copious waistcoat is my parallel tactic when flying, as my Country Innovation Raptor can swallow a Z9 or D6 and a couple of smaller lenses etc....

The fStop Tilopa is smaller for peace of mind, and it can load a wide and long telephoto. The new upgraded Tilopa is worth looking at IME, with plenty of room for accessories in side and outer pouches.

There's much overlapping forum discussion with bags about flying with photo gear, big glass especially.
I've had no problems with my fStop Sukha in southern Africa.

Yes exactly :)
The removable ICU is a key backup IF airline staff stop such a pack. The copious waistcoat is my parallel tactic when flying, as my Country Innovation Raptor can swallow a Z9 or D6 and a couple of smaller lenses etc....

The fStop Tilopa is smaller for peace of mind, and it can load a wide and long telephoto. The new upgraded Tilopa is worth looking at IME, with plenty of room for accessories in side and outer pouches.

Thanks for confirming! I've yet to do any of the big air travel stuff where waistcoats, ICU removal, etc. are necessary - but just want to explore all options and share them.

I realized I was misreading the Nya Evo specs, and I thought centimeters were inches and was like "what the heck these are massive!". It seems the new Fjord 60-C + RCI-XL would be near perfect for domestic trips at least.

Fjord 60C - external dimensions (INCHES): 22h x 13.4w x 9.8d (still a little oversized but I bet you could squish that depth down)
RCI-XL - external dimensions (INCHES): 21.5h x 11.8w x 7.3d

although these dimensions are actually smaller than both the MS36L and Boris IV, and considerably more expensive - you get peace of mind about having an ICU - which neither aforementioned bags have

decisions decisions...

Thanks for confirming! I've yet to do any of the big air travel stuff where waistcoats, ICU removal, etc. are necessary - but just want to explore all options and share them.

I realized I was misreading the Nya Evo specs, and I thought centimeters were inches and was like "what the heck these are massive!". It seems the new Fjord 60-C + RCI-XL would be near perfect for domestic trips at least.

Fjord 60C - external dimensions (INCHES): 22h x 13.4w x 9.8d (still a little oversized but I bet you could squish that depth down)
RCI-XL - external dimensions (INCHES): 21.5h x 11.8w x 7.3d

although these dimensions are actually smaller than both the MS36L and Boris IV, and considerably more expensive - you get peace of mind about having an ICU - which neither aforementioned bags have

decisions decisions...
I have both the MrJan Gear Boris and the Nya-EVO 60L. I will pack the Nya-EVO in a few weeks with my safari gear and will post photos :).

I have both the MrJan Gear Boris and the Nya-EVO 60L. I will pack the Nya-EVO in a few weeks with my safari gear and will post photos :).

thank you!

as it stands I am inclined to buy the Nya 60L and sell the Boris IV. I like ICU bags better, as well as the fact that the Nya bag seems to have more of a "slick" exterior that looks like it would wick water better. The Boris IV feels like clothing material that would just absorb it. I could be wrong though.

thank you!

as it stands I am inclined to buy the Nya 60L and sell the Boris IV. I like ICU bags better, as well as the fact that the Nya bag seems to have more of a "slick" exterior that looks like it would wick water better. The Boris IV feels like clothing material that would just absorb it. I could be wrong though.
What compels you to want a Nya 60L over the offerings from F-stop, Shimoda, Wandrd, etc.?

Here a MindShift BackLight 26L backpack holding:
2x Sony body
1x Sony 200-600mm
1x Sony 100-400mm
1x Sony 24mm f/1.4
1 Sony grip
4 spare Sony batteries
1 Sony battery charger.

I sure can fit more smaller stuff in there but that is a backup bag and is basically used to transport gear between places by car.

Attachments

• IMG_4398.jpeg
    IMG_4398.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21

I hope that's long enough for a 600 f4 on camera combo; that'll be perfect for in the canoe. I have waterproof (floatable) duffle bag (don't use it for camera gear; too big) and waterproof backpack (but top loading and the cam/lens fit but just barely, but the top opening make getting things in an out awkward). And I have a few wet dry bags but ditto re convenience other than in transporting. Thanks for sharing. I've been lusting after one of this company's floating blinds :)

I hope that's long enough for a 600 f4 on camera combo; that'll be perfect for in the canoe. I have waterproof (floatable) duffle bag (don't use it for camera gear; too big) and waterproof backpack (but top loading and the cam/lens fit but just barely, but the top opening make getting things in an out awkward). And I have a few wet dry bags but ditto re convenience other than in transporting. Thanks for sharing. I've been lusting after one of this company's floating blinds :)
Yves, the guy currently in Svalbard with this bag and insert on the maiden trip claims he fits:
- Nikkor 600mm f/4 S TC
- Nikkor 100-400
- Nikkor 24-70 (do not know if he uses the f/4 or the f/2.8
- Nikkor 14-30 f/f
- 2x Nikon Z9

Will ask when he is back on mainland as he is now on the boat if I am correct.

And we keep on having rain today so decided to make my backpack for my upcoming trip to Kruger.
Here the pictures on the gear that will fit in the MrJan Gear Boris backpack:
- 2x Nikon z9
- Nikkor 600mm f/4 S TC
- Nikkor 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 S VR
- 1 pouch with 2x EN-EL18d batteries
- 1 pouch with 2 SSD + 1 card reader
- 1 pouch with cleaning material inside (the blue one), this might end up in regular luggage
- 1 pouch with USB-C charging cables, MH-34 charger and Samsung 65W 2-port charger
- 8.5 x 42mm bino
- Regular flashlight
- UV flashlight
- Laser pointer
- Package with 2 spare 18650 Li-Ion batteries
- Peak Design strap
- Modified Magpul strap
IMG_4412 Large.jpeg

Weight? Exactly 14kg or 30,86lbs

Attachments

• IMG_4413 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4413 Large.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4414 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4414 Large.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4415 Large.jpeg
    IMG_4415 Large.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4416 Large.jpeg