ai or z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Also wondering the same thing, Sony A1 vs Z9. My only Nikon Lens is a 500pf so I’m not heavily invested, tough decision. Not to hijack the thread, but I did notice in handling some of the Sony cameras ( not the A1) that the AF-ON button is fairly close to the EVF and for me being left eye dominate that was an annoying issue. I never had an issue with the D5 in this regard. Any left eye dominate A1 shooters out there have their knuckle jammed into the bridge of their nose or brushing their right eyelash When using the AF-ON button?

That was a big tumble all the Nikon folks like to pretend Sony is an egg but it is built to last
It was a big tumble and I’m sure it stressed the lens mount and other areas of the camera. I’ve brought cameras on the slopes, DSLRs, mirrorless, even HDV cams. We have crashed skiing with them, dropped them, landed on them, but never broke one. This includes crashing hard on double black diamonds and terrain parks. Had it been a Rocky Mountain side, I would have had more than one trip to the hospital and I know we would have lost some cameras. This isn’t saying the Sony isn’t tough or durable or the Nikon is stronger. No idea on those things.

couldnt find discussion on this on your posts (if so guide me) i am a 15 yr nikon user - lots of lens including 500mm 5.6 (recently sold my 500 f/4) trying to decide between ai and z9 to go mirrorless (and to get the eye focus feature) i could go d9 and still use most of my lens with an adapter : however, you have heard this before - the z9 is as heavy as my D5 (which I sold bc it was so heavy... I am 5 ft tall and don't have the leverage of you big guys) but going to a1 - i have all those lens issues and I haven't seen anything about adapters for nikon lens w/sony - it is the common problem - just wondering about advice from all you mirrorless people who made the transition
To try mirrorless - I bought the A7 when it came out.
It was unreliable right up until it died (just out of warranty)
I still have my Nikon DSLRs happily clicking away.
The Sony A9 is a good wildlife camera but you could wait to see if the Nikon Z8 is like when its released.🦘

Have you seen the video of the Sony tumbling down the mountain at the winter Olympics? Repairs: back screen & lens hood replaced, good to go.
I had not and that is great news. Without a whole lot of experience with the A1 so far my comment was more of an observation without any real life events to base it on. I am hoping I never have to really find out as I have with Nikon. Salt water and rocks are unfriendly to any brand I can say for sure.

I used to pack a 35mm on big backcountry snowboarding in steep deep, spring time hikes in the bear tooth headwalls, etc. I’ve abused them thoroughly myself so I know what your saying. Tumbling down hard pack that far like that is a good enough test to shut up all the Sony haters
It seems to be icy over there seeing some of the wipeouts in the different events.

Reactions: Hut
One problem I notice with the Z9 and 500PF is its really unbalanced. I cannot balance it on a Wimberly gimbal even fully forward on the lens foot. It is a comfortable camera but if there was an option for a non grip Z9, I would have went that route. It's virtually impossible to carry the Z9/500PF on a monopod over my shoulder because it just spins around, either hitting me in the head or the lens spinning around crossways on my back. The Z6ii/Z7ii are excellent with the 500PF but this is a real problem with the Z9 that I've found no remedy for. I basically have to keep a death grip on my Gitzo monopod the whole time I'm walking.

One problem I notice with the Z9 and 500PF is its really unbalanced. I cannot balance it on a Wimberly gimbal even fully forward on the lens foot. It is a comfortable camera but if there was an option for a non grip Z9, I would have went that route. It's virtually impossible to carry the Z9/500PF on a monopod over my shoulder because it just spins around, either hitting me in the head or the lens spinning around crossways on my back. The Z6ii/Z7ii are excellent with the 500PF but this is a real problem with the Z9 that I've found no remedy for. I basically have to keep a death grip on my Gitzo monopod the whole time I'm walking.
I have a similar setup – 500PF, Z9, and Gitzo monopod with Wimberly MonoGimbal Head. I have the Wimberley AP500 replacement lens foot for the 500 PF and I find that at the most forward position the setup is well-balanced. However, with a TC, then there's nothing more I can do to balance it.

You could try switching out the lens foot if you haven't already, or perhaps a long Arca Swiss Plate might do the job.

The 200-600 is noticeably heavier than 500 PF
In my opinion still lightweight and very manageable. Well worth the extra pound
I have shot over 30000/ shots since Nov 2021 with Sony A1 + 200-600 .I have travelled across deserts,mountains ,jungles & even hiking for nearly 2 hours ( shooting birds & wild life)
I never found the combo difficult to handle even while sitting in the bottom of the boat & a coracle ( both are very difficult positions for shooting)
The most important point is that I have got pretty good shots compared to my D500/D 850 with 500 PF
I had even dropped the combo once from 3 to 4 ft on a hard cement floor.Nothing happened except for a small crack on the lens which did not affect the shooting.
I did have some issues with post processing.Finalky i started using Dxo Photolab 5 & i have now no issues ( except for an occasional tinge of green/ blue)
I am seriously considering in getting an other A1 + 100- 400 for my wife unless Nikon brings out a lighter Z8 body to pair it with 500 PF.
The only major issue with A1 is its poor video AF while hand holding

Back