Air Travel - buying an extra seat? Flying Air Canada - UPDATED

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
In June I will be flying to British Columbia and the flights are with United/Air Canada. Air Canada planes are of the Embraer RJ 145 type.

Last year the Canadians I met on a tour were very negative about Air Canada due to flight delays/cancellations/etc. What about boarding with a camera backpack and computer bag? While my backpack looks big (especially on all 5'3" of me! ;)) it DOES fit into the overhead with just a little coaxing.

Should I consider buying an extra seat? How does that work? One boarding ticket that lists 2 seat numbers?

UPDATE:

My first flight is on an E175....... Knoxville to Denver.

Denver to Vancouver = Boeing 737-800

My Air Canada flights are actually on a Havilland Q400 going and a Havilland Dash 8-400 exiting Canada.

Vancouver to Houston = Boeing 737 Max 8

Last flight back into Knoxville is ERJ-145 UGH!

Thanks!

Karen

Last edited:
The overhead bins on RJ145 aircraft are small. If your backpack won’t fit, kindly ask the flight attendant is they will stow it up front for you. That can work sometimes. Will your backpack fit under the seat in front of you?

Regarding two seats, I once saw a cellist bring his cello on board. He bought a seat for it next to him. As I recall he had two boarding passes. I hope you won’t have to do that.

The overhead bins on RJ145 aircraft are small. If your backpack won’t fit, kindly ask the flight attendant is they will stow it up front for you. That can work sometimes. Will your backpack fit under the seat in front of you?

Regarding two seats, I once saw a cellist bring his cello on board. He bought a seat for it next to him. As I recall he had two boarding passes. I hope you won’t have to do that.
As I said, my backpack will fit in the overhead. But I still get challenged! And often they won't even let me prove that it does it. In this case, it will have my 600mm TC in it.....

Reactions: BWP
Can you find a bag that can contain what you REALLY care about that will fit under the seat?

So theoretically 17" x 10" x 6" fits under the seat for both United and Air Canada:

United 17 x 10 x 09
Air C 17 x 13 x 06
-------------------
17 x 10 x 06

Sources:

Worst case you put that under the seat and let them check the other bag.

Can you find a bag that can contain what you REALLY care about that will fit under the seat?

So theoretically 17" x 10" x 6" fits under the seat for both United and Air Canada:

United 17 x 10 x 09
Air C 17 x 13 x 06
-------------------
17 x 10 x 06

Sources:

Worst case you put that under the seat and let them check the other bag.
Both bags will have camera gear and a computer. Same set up I've taken to Africa 4 times, Costa Rica 3 times, etc. Backpack in the overhead, computer bag under the seat in front of me.

The question is about buying a second seat when in the RJ 145..................

Are you using a "puddle jumper" to get from a main airport to your ultimate destination? You might do better renting a car and driving the last leg of your journey. These local flights can be a big hassle and airfare and hassle will be less if you stick to major airports and rent a car to drive the rest of the way.

I would be concerned about a flight attendant saying that gear cannot be sitting loose in a seat as it could go flying. They always want things tucked underneath or in the overhead. Does the second seat's under the seat area get you what you need?

--Ken

I would be concerned about a flight attendant saying that gear cannot be sitting loose in a seat as it could go flying. They always want things tucked underneath or in the overhead. Does the second seat's under the seat area get you what you need?

--Ken
In a second seat, the backpack would have to secured with a seat belt. It won't be allowed otherwise.

The under the seat storage area is NOT very high.......and these days some of it has often been re-purposed to house electrical boxes so folks have power at their seat. My camera bag barely fits under the seat. A backpack with a 600mm TC would not.

--Ken
Off topic.... but I once had a flight stewardess call baggage handlers and take my camera bag out of the overhead storage space ! Obviously it fit cuz' it was already stored. She insisted I could not bring it on the plane because it had wheels! Of course most of the passengers had wheeled bags, but MINE had to go in the hold! :eek: So I laid the bag in the aisle (impeding those trying to board), took out my camera, took out my lens, added a strap, closed up my bag and gave them an empty bag.

THEN - I had to hold or lay down the camera during the flight. If there had been turbulence or ??? about 6 lbs of metal would have been flying around the cabin.

So STUPID!

Both bags will have camera gear and a computer. Same set up I've taken to Africa 4 times, Costa Rica 3 times, etc. Backpack in the overhead, computer bag under the seat in front of me.

The question is about buying a second seat when in the RJ 145..................
I often buy an extra seat on bush and float planes, but not on normal commercial flights, domestic or international. On those, I accept I’m at the mercy of airline and TSA personnel and I don’t assume they will bend the rules even if I have a second seat/boarding pass.

Bottom line, when the carryon rules are strict, I use a compact bag that will easily fit overhead or under the seat to avoid a problem (and check some less critical gear, including lenses, if necessary). Probably not what you wanted to hear…

Off topic.... but I once had a flight stewardess call baggage handlers and take my camera bag out of the overhead storage space ! Obviously it fit cuz' it was already stored. She insisted I could not bring it on the plane because it had wheels! Of course most of the passengers had wheeled bags, but MINE had to go in the hold! :eek: So I laid the bag in the aisle (impeding those trying to board), took out my camera, took out my lens, added a strap, closed up my bag and gave them an empty bag.

THEN - I had to hold or lay down the camera during the flight. If there had been turbulence or ??? about 6 lbs of metal would have been flying around the cabin.

So STUPID!
WOW! That flight attendant was being an ***. Onboard bags have had wheels for at least twenty years! I used to travel for business with a HUGE Tumi rolling briefcase with laptop and other electronic gear. No way that was going in the hold.

WOW! That flight attendant was being an ***. Onboard bags have had wheels for at least twenty years! I used to travel for business with a HUGE Tumi rolling briefcase with laptop and other electronic gear. No way that was going in the hold.
Later she came around with the drink cart. When she said "Is there anything you want?" I said "Yes. YOUR NAME!"

She was quite taken aback, but I got her name and filed a formal complaint. Problem was it was United......and they were generally flooded with all kinds of upset customers!

In June I will be flying to British Columbia and the flights are with United/Air Canada. Air Canada planes are of the Embraer RJ 145 type.

Last year the Canadians I met on a tour were very negative about Air Canada due to flight delays/cancellations/etc. What about boarding with a camera backpack and computer bag? While my backpack looks big (especially on all 5'3" of me! ;)) it DOES fit into the overhead with just a little coaxing.

Should I consider buying an extra seat? How does that work? One boarding ticket that lists 2 seat numbers?

Thanks!

Karen
I witnessed a flight attendandant on American, First Class, "seize" a bought empty seat to upgrade someone from the back of the plane. Crews have a lot of power, perceived and real, and there is no way to "win" an argument once you enter the plane.

Are you using a "puddle jumper" to get from a main airport to your ultimate destination? You might do better renting a car and driving the last leg of your journey. These local flights can be a big hassle and airfare and hassle will be less if you stick to major airports and rent a car to drive the rest of the way.
In the States and a shorter distance, I would consider it. But traveling alone and driving 5 hrs after flying across the USA....I think not.

I witnessed a flight attendandant on American, First Class, "seize" a bought empty seat to upgrade someone from the back of the plane. Crews have a lot of power, perceived and real, and there is no way to "win" an argument once you enter the plane.
Absolutely true. Over the years, I've had this both work in my favor and to my detriment. It pays to be as friendly as possible to the crew when boarding.

I imagine that event may have fallen under “involuntary denied boarding” under American’s conditions of carriage. If so, the inconvenienced passenger would likely have been eligible for compensation up to US$1550, depending on the original fare and how long it took American to re-route that empty seat to its intended destination... and, of course, if she/he was aware of their rights. :) I gave up on American after they stopped serving my preferred destination of Bolivia and now exclusively travel Star Alliance.

BTW x 2… Air Canada doesn’t have Embraer 145s, only 175s, unless it’s a code share of some sort. They also have CRJ9s on their shorter routes; I fly them now and then between DC and Toronto and the bins handle my (always overpacked!) carryon well.

BTW x 2… Air Canada doesn’t have Embraer 145s, only 175s, unless it’s a code share of some sort. They also have CRJ9s on their shorter routes; I fly them now and then between DC and Toronto and the bins handle my (always overpacked!) carryon well.
I agree regarding the CRJ 900s. I like them because the oveerheads have more space than you might think.

The E145 overheads are not horrible (like the CRJs), but they are tight.
Here is a discussion. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/uni...rry-size-avoid-gate-check.html?ispreloading=1
Thank you both for this. I just re-checked my tickets. Plane info - at this time - for mid-June travel.....

My first flight is on an E175....... Knoxville to Denver.

Denver to Vancouver = Boeing 737-800

My Air Canada flights are actually on a Havilland Q400 going and a Havilland Dash 8-400 exiting Canada.

Vancouver to Houston = Boeing 737 Max 8

Last flight back into Knoxville is ERJ-145 UGH!

I imagine that event may have fallen under “involuntary denied boarding” under American’s conditions of carriage. If so, the inconvenienced passenger would likely have been eligible for compensation up to US$1550, depending on the original fare and how long it took American to re-route that empty seat to its intended destination... and, of course, if she/he was aware of their rights. :) I gave up on American after they stopped serving my preferred destination of Bolivia and now exclusively travel Star Alliance.
It won't help on that specific flight. I fly out of DFW; I envy you.

Back