Air Travel - buying an extra seat? Flying Air Canada - UPDATED

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ah… that Emb 145 would be their United Express metal. Seating, as you know, will be A and CD, so watch for a bin on the left as you board. The ones on the right might hold your toothpaste kit…

I’m surprised your carry on is not weighed. In Australia we’ve had our carry on bags checked and weighed at check-in. So far this has been for both domestic and international flights with Australian and Fiji airlines. The carry on bags then have a tag attached saying ‘ Approved cabin baggage’

We’re heading to the US this evening with an internal flight in the US tomorrow. Hopefully we don’t have any issues.

Have a great trip Karen

It's going to be a risk regardless. I do my best to avoid those Emb 145s but a couple of times they substituted one for what was supposed to be a larger aircraft. On one occasion the gate agent told us no carryons would be allowed. I told them my carryon was full of $10k of camera equipment and they agreed that I could try to fit it. One of their people tried to chase me on the plane to get my bag so it could be checked, I yelled back, "I was told I could try it" and proceeded onto the plane. This time it was not that stuffed and it fit. Next time they did not demand that all carryons be checked so I carried on an overstuffed backpack (I had a 400 2.8, 200-500, 2 cameras, etc) and it would not fit and I could not fit it under my side of the undersea storage because they had installed a power outlet there. The flight attendant was nice and told me I could put it under another seat in the back that was not being used.

Bottom line, it depends on exactly what model of the aircraft you get, some bins are larger than others on the same type of aircraft, but even more so it depends on how helpful or difficult the gate and flight crew want to be.

Last edited:
In June I will be flying to British Columbia and the flights are with United/Air Canada. Air Canada planes are of the Embraer RJ 145 type.

Last year the Canadians I met on a tour were very negative about Air Canada due to flight delays/cancellations/etc. What about boarding with a camera backpack and computer bag? While my backpack looks big (especially on all 5'3" of me! ;)) it DOES fit into the overhead with just a little coaxing.

Should I consider buying an extra seat? How does that work? One boarding ticket that lists 2 seat numbers?

UPDATE:

My first flight is on an E175....... Knoxville to Denver.

Denver to Vancouver = Boeing 737-800

My Air Canada flights are actually on a Havilland Q400 going and a Havilland Dash 8-400 exiting Canada.

Vancouver to Houston = Boeing 737 Max 8

Last flight back into Knoxville is ERJ-145 UGH!

Thanks!

Karen
Be aware that the RJ's (regional jets) have very small overhead bins. If you decide to spend for an extra seat, a backpack could be safely secured with a seatbelt and you would be allowed an extra overhead space as well as under the seat. Verify first with the specific airline.

Thank you both for this. I just re-checked my tickets. Plane info - at this time - for mid-June travel.....

My first flight is on an E175....... Knoxville to Denver.

Denver to Vancouver = Boeing 737-800

My Air Canada flights are actually on a Havilland Q400 going and a Havilland Dash 8-400 exiting Canada.

Vancouver to Houston = Boeing 737 Max 8

Last flight back into Knoxville is ERJ-145 UGH!
I have taken several flights in British Columbia on Air Canada. They were on two-engine turboprops, including a Q400 and Dash 8-400. These two planes are pretty similar variations on the same basic design.

The most recent flight was in March of 2023 and was very short -- from Vancouver to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. I had a Mindshift 36L backpack (with a Z 800 mm PF (with a 2-piece Zemlin lens hood in my checked duffel), Z 24-120, Z 100-400 and a Z9 & Z7II) and a Think Tank Vision 15 laptop bag (with a 16" MBP and a Z 70-200, plus other miscellaneous stuff). The backpack would not fit in the overhead bins, which were small. But it did fit under the seat in front of me. These are simpler planes with no electronics under the passenger seats, at least when I have taken them. The laptop bag did fit in the overhead bins.

I have had similar results with a full-sized photo backpack and laptop bag on other Air Canada flights using a two-engine turbo prop from Vancouver to Gwaii Hanaas and from Vancouver to Prince Rupert. While not Air Canada, I've done similar things on Iceland Air flights on two-engine turbo prop Dash 8 variants from Reykjavik to Greenland and from Reykjavik to Akureyi. These flights did not involve a lens as big as the Z 800 PF or the Z TC exotics.

I'm going to be flying to Prince Rupert from Vancouver in September and back to Vancouver from Terrace BC. I have not made the flight reservations yet, but expect they will be on Dash-8 type two engine turboprop planes. I plan to take the Mindshift 36L with a Z 400 mm TC, other lenses, a Z9 & Z8 and my laptop bag with MBP and a lens. Expect I will be able to do the same as on previous flights.

If you have Gold or better status on United, get it inlcuded in your Air Canada ticket. Air Canada is part of the Star Alliance. That will get you early boarding, which can be useful.

Given the weather in BC, flight delays are not unusual. I have had sunny days with on-time fights. And days with weather delays. Some Canadians I know joke that Air Canada's motto is that "We aren't happy until you aren't happy."

I've not had issues with my photo backpacks and laptop bag on 737s or Embraer 175s. I haven't been on an Embraer 145 recently and would be more concerend there.

I have had extra baggage seats in Africa, tried regional carrier in Alaska and they said they do not offer baggage seats.

I heard about a professional cello player who travelled with his cello in business class. Cello was collecting miles on Delta until they found out about it and which point cancelled the cello milage account and threated to cancel the musican's account. Never tried to buy a baggage seat on a US / NA major but I have heard that you will be full fare, not a discounted ticket (not sure if this is true).

Had a musican friend who travelled w/ her violin to an internaitonal workshop. Airline FA told her that she need to check the instrument and she refused (pointed out the cost of the instrument was tens of thousand USD) and it would not survive a baggage. FInally she took the instrument out of the case has going to hold it on her laptop and which the FA let her put the case in the overhead. I believe the several muscian organizations have lobbied to allow instruments (such as a violin) to be carried aboard even if they do not strictly meet carry dimensions. Again not sure if tthis is true... Would like to see photographic organizations lobby congress for similar rights - now if we could find a firendly senator and ocngressperson who was a nature photographer ..

I have taken several flights in British Columbia on Air Canada. They were on two-engine turboprops, including a Q400 and Dash 8-400. These two planes are pretty similar variations on the same basic design.

The most recent flight was in March of 2023 and was very short -- from Vancouver to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. I had a Mindshift 36L backpack (with a Z 800 mm PF (with a 2-piece Zemlin lens hood in my checked duffel), Z 24-120, Z 100-400 and a Z9 & Z7II) and a Think Tank Vision 15 laptop bag (with a 16" MBP and a Z 70-200, plus other miscellaneous stuff). The backpack would not fit in the overhead bins, which were small. But it did fit under the seat in front of me. These are simpler planes with no electronics under the passenger seats, at least when I have taken them. The laptop bag did fit in the overhead bins.

I have had similar results with a full-sized photo backpack and laptop bag on other Air Canada flights using a two-engine turbo prop from Vancouver to Gwaii Hanaas and from Vancouver to Prince Rupert. While not Air Canada, I've done similar things on Iceland Air flights on two-engine turbo prop Dash 8 variants from Reykjavik to Greenland and from Reykjavik to Akureyi. These flights did not involve a lens as big as the Z 800 PF or the Z TC exotics.

I'm going to be flying to Prince Rupert from Vancouver in September and back to Vancouver from Terrace BC. I have not made the flight reservations yet, but expect they will be on Dash-8 type two engine turboprop planes. I plan to take the Mindshift 36L with a Z 400 mm TC, other lenses, a Z9 & Z8 and my laptop bag with MBP and a lens. Expect I will be able to do the same as on previous flights.

If you have Gold or better status on United, get it inlcuded in your Air Canada ticket. Air Canada is part of the Star Alliance. That will get you early boarding, which can be useful.

Given the weather in BC, flight delays are not unusual. I have had sunny days with on-time fights. And days with weather delays. Some Canadians I know joke that Air Canada's motto is that "We aren't happy until you aren't happy."

I've not had issues with my photo backpacks and laptop bag on 737s or Embraer 175s. I haven't been on an Embraer 145 recently and would be more concerend there.
Thank you, really helpful information. On our trip last June, Air Canada refused to honor the Priority boarding notated on our ticket (co-share with United). Since I was attempting to scan my boarding pass the stewardess begrudgingly let us board. We don't travel that much, so I am in the lowly Premium Silver category.

But it's nice to know that my ThinkTank Airport Accelerator backpack my go under the seat in front of me.

Really appreciate your help!

Thank you, really helpful information. On our trip last June, Air Canada refused to honor the Priority boarding notated on our ticket (co-share with United). Since I was attempting to scan my boarding pass the stewardess begrudgingly let us board. We don't travel that much, so I am in the lowly Premium Silver category.

But it's nice to know that my ThinkTank Airport Accelerator backpack my go under the seat in front of me.

Really appreciate your help!
I don't know how the size of the Airport Accelerator compares to the Backlight 36L. Might be worth comparing their dimensions. I assume the Airport Accelerator does not have wheels, which might be a concern.

I have also taken a LowePro ProRunner 450 AW II on Dash 8 turboprops this way.

Have a great trip. British Columbia is wonderful.

The Accelerator is about 20 x 14 x 9" and does NOT have wheels. I have even put it in the overhead of an RJ 145...... I'm more concerned that "they" won't even let me prove that it will fit.... LOL! It's been my go-to bag for 4 trips to Africa, 3 trips to Costa Rica, the Khutzeymateen in BC, etc.

I am also facing the prospect of traveling on Air Canada this summer, including on a Dash 8. I called them to ask about purchasing a seat for my camera bag and was informed the magic word to use is "cabin baggage" (I have also found references on the web to "seat baggage"). You can either book your flight, then call them and ask to add a seat for cabin baggage, or else you can just call them to book your flight and cabin baggage together. A cabin baggage seat costs 50% of the lowest fare for your seat class available at the time of booking. There are limits on how much cabin baggage can go on a flight so it is recommended to call them earlier rather than later. The agent I spoke to wasn't familiar with the policy, so it seems like flying with cabin baggage isn't a very common occurrence. It may take some digging and use of the precise magic words to get them to recognize it.

I have not done this yet myself, so if you do I would appreciate your reports on how it goes.

I am also facing the prospect of traveling on Air Canada this summer, including on a Dash 8. I called them to ask about purchasing a seat for my camera bag and was informed the magic word to use is "cabin baggage" (I have also found references on the web to "seat baggage"). You can either book your flight, then call them and ask to add a seat for cabin baggage, or else you can just call them to book your flight and cabin baggage together. A cabin baggage seat costs 50% of the lowest fare for your seat class available at the time of booking. There are limits on how much cabin baggage can go on a flight so it is recommended to call them earlier rather than later. The agent I spoke to wasn't familiar with the policy, so it seems like flying with cabin baggage isn't a very common occurrence. It may take some digging and use of the precise magic words to get them to recognize it.

I have not done this yet myself, so if you do I would appreciate your reports on how it goes.
Great info. I haven't decided if I'm going to do this or not...... Like I said, my 2 pieces will fit.......I'm just concerned about an employee deciding to not let me even try!

Great info. I haven't decided if I'm going to do this or not...... Like I said, my 2 pieces will fit.......I'm just concerned about an employee deciding to not let me even try!
When I flew Air Canada with a large camera bag in 2022, I didn't have any trouble, but a friend who flew last August (2023) said that they were being pretty strict about carry-on sizes. I'm thinking that if I purchase an extra seat, I have less to worry about and can also haul just about as much gear as I want.

When I flew Air Canada with a large camera bag in 2022, I didn't have any trouble, but a friend who flew last August (2023) said that they were being pretty strict about carry-on sizes. I'm thinking that if I purchase an extra seat, I have less to worry about and can also haul just about as much gear as I want.
To make matters worse, I have 2 flights with Air Canada each way......4 flights total! UGH!

I travel most of the time with Air Canada and United, both compagnies are great and I have never have a problem with keeping my bags with me on the plane and I always make them fit, overhead or under the seat. One time I was travelling with air Canada on a small plane and my pelican suitcase could not fit overhead or under my sit, the flight attendant offered me to put it in her cabin when she new I had photographic equipment in the suitcase.
i know Air Canada are working to improve the image of the compagnies. All what you need is to remain polite and ask attendant to find place for your lugggage if it does not fit.

I ran into that problem flying to Alaska once. Two connecting flights, neither of which would fit my backpack. One of them, the flight attendants, after finding out it was camera gear, stowed it in a storage locker near the cockpit. On the other, the seat next to me was vacant so I shoved it as far as it would go under the seat in front of that one then covered the whole thing with my jacket.
Since then, I started carrying all my gear in two bags. One is a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 that holds my 100-400 with a body attached and the hood reversed, as well as two other short lenses or a lens and a body in the center compartment and my laptop in a side pouch. It also holds all my memory cards and spare batteries.
The other bag is an old Scope Pack, which doesn't have much padding but is very narrow and holds a 600 with a body attached but can fit in all overheads, though on the smallest planes, you might have to turn it sideways instead.
The last time I flew out of Cody, though, I was worried even the Scope Pack might not fit, so I brought a regular backpack like you'd find as a daypack for hiking, and put my 600 in that cushioned by some clothes. I left my actual camera bag in my suitcase. That worked fine. You might consider doing that.

Air Canada's policy is to always have camera gear in your carryon bag. But they also have size and capacity limitations - your bags are not going to fit if all the compartments are full.

The two factors can come into conflict. It is something I worry about when flying with my gear. On a recent trip, they allowed only a limited number of rollaboards through, and then demanded gate checks for the rest. I always try to board early in my zone, so was able to find a spot for my rollaboard. But it might have been otherwise. In such a case, you just have to plead with an agent.

Back