Alaska Trip Photo Kit

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Entry from Europe to the USA is now possible. So I’ll hopefully be able to undertake the trip to the Katmai bears, which has already been postponed twice, in mid-September. I'll be on a photo trip on a small ship in the Shelikof Strait on the Katmai coast.
I think to take the following equipment with me:
Z9, D500, 300PF, 500PF, AF-S 70-200, AF-S 24-120, TC-1.4EIII.
Should the Z 200-600 appear before this trip, it could become an alternative. But it also depends on the weight.
If you have access to an 80-400 I'd recommend that rather than the 300pf and 70-200. Z9 mounted on 500mm and D500 on the 80-400 are a great combination for shooting on a salmon stream.

If you have access to an 80-400 I'd recommend that rather than the 300pf and 70-200. Z9 mounted on 500mm and D500 on the 80-400 are a great combination for shooting on a salmon stream.
Thanks for the information. I also think this would be a good combination. Unfortunately, I don't have an 80-400mm and I don't want to buy any more AF-S lenses.

Good luck on your trip, AK is one of the best photography places I know. Some general info. On the Katmai Air float plane from King Salmon to Brooks you can buy excess weight. $1 a pound. Though my tent/mat/bag camp kit comes in at only 8 pounds I hit the scales with 92 pounds of gear a few years ago. Cost $50 R/T for the overage. Money well spent as I used almost every bit of that gear over 6 days. It is usually a great mix of people in the camp. Last year was all US, not sure who is visiting this year. On day 2 or 3 get on a guided outing to walk the river. Ask at the outfitter next to the lodge on day 1. A good way to see the bears up close and at eye level. The guides are used to it and will keep you safe. I walk the river with the fishermen every day but I have seen a family of 5 on a fly trip (maybe $2000 for that outing) turn around and leave after ten minutes because there can be 10-12 bears all around and coming out of the bush. All I notice is it is mentally draining because you have to be scanning and alert the entire time.
The morning light at the falls is dim so I usually look for other options first thing. It will likely rain/mist several times every day so have that covered. The platforms get packed with day trippers. 400mm on the platform is too much/all bear for the near side but almost too short for the far side where Otis camps out. A constant dilemma. Rangers take names on a list and give you one hour. You can then sign up again. About 3 or 4PM all the day trippers leave and there are only about 80-120 visitors left overnight including cabins. The cabins rent two years in advance for $600 I think. You are paying $12. Not a better deal on the planet. You can see the bears anywhere so after you get your salmon in the mouth falls shot from the platforms spread out. Wolves, Eagles, Mergansers. The Riffles platform is not wait listed and has bears fishing there also. The sows with Spring cubs don't go near the falls much as the boars rule up there. They do walk on the beach and hang near the lower river at camp. Shots on the beach with Mom and Cubs are nice. Once the bears are seen by the staff you will be required to move off the beach. Respect the Rangers. Especially the "bear" Rangers - for better name - the ones carrying the clap sticks to keep the camp clear of bears. The 50 yard requirement puts you back in the tree line. The sows and cubs get up and move early. The boars are generally not active early. If you haven't had a 750 pound bear come up on you without making a sound bring some extra underwear because it will happen. There is no bad time at Brooks though. Before you go get on Explore.org and watch the bear cams to get a feel for the activity levels and times of day. Check the Comments if you want to know some of the bears #s and habits before you go.
Denali is special. The mammals are spread out and without a long lens (600+) you will just have to luck up on something. I defer to those who have indicated the road may be closed this year. If closed make some notes for next year. Eilsen is a good place to see the mountain. The landscape opportunities in Denali are terrific. As you are camping you can try to get a spot at Wonder Lake which is the closest camp to the mountain. It is most of a day going in and coming out by camper bus so it eats up a chunk of travel time. If you have time around Anchorage head out Turnagain Arm and stop at Potters Marsh for birds. Go South to Kenai all the way to Seward or Homer. Drive through the train tunnel to Whittier. You just can't get to it all and that's why you have to go back again and again.
I fouled up and only got 1 night at Brooks so I may miss this year. Just too far a trip for a day/night/day when both days are travel days. My fault, but maybe they will go to full capacity and I get some other nights.

Be prepared to fall in love - Alaska is special and you will never forget having been there.

My recommendations are based on having lived in Fairbanks for 6 years and having made a few return trips in recent years. Leave the 70-200 - it's not long enough and has significant weight and size - unless you don't have (or have access to) a 100-400. I would also set a low priority on the 500 - you need flexibility more than length and it may make your kit too large for carry-on. A 1.4 TC would be a better choice. I'm not familiar with the Olympus, but it could be a good choice. In any case, take two bodies but no more.

Denali is like no other place and it is huge and expansive. You have to take the park bus to get any distance back into the park. It's a long trip, but I would go all the way back to the end of the road. Give yourself several days in Denali but do be careful about getting off the bus and camping overnight. The camping will be primitive and some of those animals can be dangerous. There is a hotel and (I think) some cabins and camping at the end of the road into the park. It's expensive but would be memorable.

Enjoy. Here's a shot from Polychrome Pass on the park road.View attachment 33067
Awesome landscape shot but I have to disagree with leaving the 500 behind. The 500 with a TC would be the first thing I‘d put in my kit.

One thing about these threads asking for lens advice is that even for the same subject/range we each have different shooting styles. Understanding why people recommend what they do is as/more important as which lens. Do you prefer to fill the frame with the subject or do you like to leave some space? Do you prefer the entire animal or are you okay with partial shots? Do you prefer flat DOF to isolate the subject or do you like to include surroundings with some degree of detail? No one can answer these questions but the photographer.

I just decided to take a trip this summer for shooting bears. My plans are not fully settled but will most likely be in Katmai. I have never been to AK before and am very excited. I have 2 D850s and planned on 3 lenses: 180-400/4, 70-200/2.8 and 24-70/2.8. I tend to shoot tight but more and more have started to take more environmental portraits. After reading in this forum and other places, I figured this kit would be be versatile enough for my needs. I see the 500pf has been mentioned quite a bit, and is a lens I also have. I did not consider taking it since the 180-400 has a built-in tc and also don’t mind shooting in, or cropping to DX. Should I consider taking the 500pf instead of the zoom, or in addition to it, and perhaps leave out one of the shorter lenses?

Not entirely sure what is more important to you. IQ, weight, versatility, whether you are going elsewhere before/after Katmai, where in Katmai you are going. Personally I would take the 500 and leave the 70-200. Not sure how much you will use the 24-70 either but it is good to have. You will likely shoot the long end 90% of the time. The 180-400 gives you some flexibility. If guided just ask the guide before you go.
I go with D850 and 400 2.8 FLED 95%. NPS jumped Brooks Camp to 100% occupancy and I happened to be checking when they did - I pulled 5 nights July 18-22.

I just decided to take a trip this summer for shooting bears. My plans are not fully settled but will most likely be in Katmai. I have never been to AK before and am very excited. I have 2 D850s and planned on 3 lenses: 180-400/4, 70-200/2.8 and 24-70/2.8. I tend to shoot tight but more and more have started to take more environmental portraits. After reading in this forum and other places, I figured this kit would be be versatile enough for my needs. I see the 500pf has been mentioned quite a bit, and is a lens I also have. I did not consider taking it since the 180-400 has a built-in tc and also don’t mind shooting in, or cropping to DX. Should I consider taking the 500pf instead of the zoom, or in addition to it, and perhaps leave out one of the shorter lenses?
That should cover you regardless of where you go for bears. One body will stay glued to the 180-400 and you can switch out the second body depending on where you are/what you want to shoot. Have you nailed down dates yet?

That should cover you regardless of where you go for bears. One body will stay glued to the 180-400 and you can switch out the second body depending on where you are/what you want to shoot. Have you nailed down dates yet?
I haven’t nail down a date yetn I expect to do so in thenext few days. I am looking at some of the tours that still have space left. So do I understand you correctly you reccom I take both the 180-400 and the 500 PF with me?

I haven’t nail down a date yetn I expect to do so in thenext few days. I am looking at some of the tours that still have space left. So do I understand you correctly you reccom I take both the 180-400 and the 500 PF with me?
I wouldn't. I'd go with your original plan. IMO with two identical bodies overlap is no benefit. Maybe lighten the load if you have 70-200 f4 and 24-120 f4 rather than the 2.8s.

I've never been to Katmai, so I'm talking through my hat a bit here, but it really depends on where you're going. From what I understand of Brooks Falls the bears are usually inside 200'. You wouldn't need the big guns here. At Silver Salmon (not Katmai, but outside Lake Clark) the bears were often inside forty feet (!). You'll need the shorter lenses. At Silver Salmon a tripod was often a hindrance, and I would check to find out what the current rules are at Brooks Falls for tripods on the viewing platforms. I know at one point they were prohibited.

I'm a little green with envy :)

I've never been to Katmai, so I'm talking through my hat a bit here, but it really depends on where you're going. From what I understand of Brooks Falls the bears are usually inside 200'. You wouldn't need the big guns here. ... I would check to find out what the current rules are at Brooks Falls for tripods on the viewing platforms. I know at one point they were prohibited.
You'll use everything you've got at Brooks. Trust me. Yes some bears will be in spitting distance(literally) but the platform is elevated so the shots that are in 200mm type range are shooting down on the animals which doesn't really present well. OK for the top of the falls near the platform but most of the bears fish the river below the falls. The long glass shooting at the bears mid-way and farther across the river give the best angles. Only challenge there is that if the river is flowing hard there can be a lot of spray/mist. There will be opportunities for the whole range depending on what compositions you prefer. Tripods are not allowed between June 15 and August 15.

The shot that I posted in this thread was shot at 500mm. The bear was about half way across the river. Edit: got my shots confused. Shot this one at 500 in order to crop out the bear's rear end where she'd been rubbing.

Last edited:
The OP was going to camp at Brooks. The new post from Jeff says he is going to get on with a 3 day tour. That being said it will likely be a fly in each day and they may only go to Brooks one day. One day at Brooks is mostly spent at the falls platforms. The Falls platform has 2 levels and you want to be on the lower level in the far left corner. Just like half the people there but do your best. You can try using the rail for stability but be aware the platforms vibrate from people moving about. The first time seeing it is a real experience!
My friend went to Silver Salmon last July and he highly recommends it. I am partial to wading the Brooks River though.
850_2080_27-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Having made two trips to photograph the bears in Alaska I would recommend chartering a float plane out of Anchorage. They land on beaches where the bears are active. I have been on a trip where the salmon runs were off and so the bears were nowhere to be seen or photographed. The timing of the salmon runs on a river is critical to having bears there to photograph.

If you plan to also visit Denali then your lens choices will be a bit different than if going only for the bears. 600mm was often too long for Brooks but too short without teleconverters for Denali. For moose a 24-120mm is long enough though best to keep a safe distance from these animals.

Be prepared to fall in love - Alaska is special and you will never forget having been there.

My recommendations are based on having lived in Fairbanks for 6 years and having made a few return trips in recent years. Leave the 70-200 - it's not long enough and has significant weight and size - unless you don't have (or have access to) a 100-400. I would also set a low priority on the 500 - you need flexibility more than length and it may make your kit too large for carry-on. A 1.4 TC would be a better choice. I'm not familiar with the Olympus, but it could be a good choice. In any case, take two bodies but no more.

Denali is like no other place and it is huge and expansive. You have to take the park bus to get any distance back into the park. It's a long trip, but I would go all the way back to the end of the road. Give yourself several days in Denali but do be careful about getting off the bus and camping overnight. The camping will be primitive and some of those animals can be dangerous. There is a hotel and (I think) some cabins and camping at the end of the road into the park. It's expensive but would be memorable.

Enjoy. Here's a shot from Polychrome Pass on the park road.View attachment 33067
Beautiful image! May I ask how was the mosquito situation?

Beautiful image! May I ask how was the mosquito situation?

My last two trips were in late June/July. Very few mosquitos. My7 memory from the years I lived there is that they are worst after the breakup in mid-April, May, and June. By July they are mostly gone. They are huge and aggressive, BTW. It is rumored that one landed at the Fairbanks Airport they had it all fuelled up before they realized it was alive.

When it comes to mosquitos I am unabashedly not tough! And I wasn't worried about black flies... until now, lol.
Yes the bugs can be bad. Mosquitoes in spring and early summer and black flies in mid and late summer. In summer two thirds of the surface of the state of Alaska meets the EPA description for wetlands. And the laws of physics seem somewhat altered here. At least in regards to how water behaves. You can be on a 20-30 degree slope on the side of a mountain and ankle deep in a bog. And rain generally travels parallel to the ground.

There is a type of black fly that the natives call "white socks" due to their tiny white feet. They are particularly viscous. They will climb up your sleeves/pant legs, under your hood or down your collar to get at you. They love bears as much as photographers do so plan on becoming familiar with them. Their bite is similar to chiggars if you have experienced that aspect of southern hospitality.

Definitely carry bug dope in the field with you and hydrocortizone cream in you luggage for treating bites evenings. I hate using deet based bug dope when handling photo gear. A couple of years ago we tried out the citrus based form of Off and have found it to be very effective. It doesn't last as long as deet based stuff but is not oily and doesn't destroy plastic like deet will do. We use the non-aerosol spray bottles and re-apply as needed throughout the day. Wearing light colored clothing also helps and particularly light blue if you can stand it. Unfortunately some of us are just genetically attractive to the little beasts and/or reactive to their bites. I'm both :mad:

630.jpg
676.jpg
I've to Alaska 5 times and each time I took my 800mmF:5.6 AF. I shot film with my F5's. I had a 24-120 for landscapes.

Biting things LOVE me! During our time in Alaska I was covered in mosquito and black fly bites! True where ever I go.....

Around camera gear, plastic watch faces, etc. I avoid DEET. I have found Picaridin pretty effective. Re-apply as necessary. Available at REI, Amazon, etc.

Yes the bugs can be bad. Mosquitoes in spring and early summer and black flies in mid and late summer. In summer two thirds of the surface of the state of Alaska meets the EPA description for wetlands. And the laws of physics seem somewhat altered here. At least in regards to how water behaves. You can be on a 20-30 degree slope on the side of a mountain and ankle deep in a bog. And rain generally travels parallel to the ground.

There is a type of black fly that the natives call "white socks" due to their tiny white feet. They are particularly viscous. They will climb up your sleeves/pant legs, under your hood or down your collar to get at you. They love bears as much as photographers do so plan on becoming familiar with them. Their bite is similar to chiggars if you have experienced that aspect of southern hospitality.

Definitely carry bug dope in the field with you and hydrocortizone cream in you luggage for treating bites evenings. I hate using deet based bug dope when handling photo gear. A couple of years ago we tried out the citrus based form of Off and have found it to be very effective. It doesn't last as long as deet based stuff but is not oily and doesn't destroy plastic like deet will do. We use the non-aerosol spray bottles and re-apply as needed throughout the day. Wearing light colored clothing also helps and particularly light blue if you can stand it. Unfortunately some of us are just genetically attractive to the little beasts and/or reactive to their bites. I'm both :mad:
Years ago, I had the good fortune to spend a couple of summers in the northern Yukon, and I can validate what Dan wrote about mosquitos and black flies - they are unbelievably nasty and vicious. Back then, we used so much deet-based repellent that our skin cracked and oozed, and we ended up sewing the slits on our shirt sleeves shut in a feeble attempt to keep black flies out. Since we were camping, the idea of showering off was a fantasy, so every 10 days or so we picked a windy day to bathe in the river, when the bugs were fewer. Nonetheless, we got eaten alive in places you never want to get eaten alive! 😱 But, I had a wonderful time anyway!

Back