Alpenglow on Snow Covered Peaks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A few shots taken from our boat Monday morning in Passage Canal on Prince William Sound.

1)
D81_0704.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2)
D81_0707.jpg

3)
D81_0719.jpg

Outstanding. In my experience, managing the contrast and preserving the color of early morning light on snow covered peaks is a challenge. You nail it.

Outstanding. In my experience, managing the contrast and preserving the color of early morning light on snow covered peaks is a challenge. You nail it.
Thanks for commenting, Malcolm. It is harder than one would think. I've found that intentionally under exposing such scenes and recovering in PP helps preserve the color.

Thanks for commenting, Malcolm. It is harder than one would think. I've found that intentionally under exposing such scenes and recovering in PP helps preserve the color.
Great advice. Really liking the metadata automatically added to the photos. I see your 0.7 underexposure. I’ve tried that in the past with more underexposure and poorer results. Learning less is better.

I shoot a lot in full manual mode(no auto ISO) so not sure the EC info in the EXIF is accurate. In situations like this what I typically do is take a shot and then preview it and check the histogram or "blinkies" to make sure the highlights aren't blown.

Back