Alsek River Rafting

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rafting trip from Haines Junction, Yukon to northern BC to Dry Bay (Alaskan panhandle), on the Alsek River. July 13-29. I used Sony (A7R4, 24mm GM) on the water, but it got soaked. I also used an A1, 100-400mm GM, and my iPhone since it was handy and saved GPS coords at each camp.

IMG_0198.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_7R49342.jpg

_A1_1127.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

_A1_1067.jpg

Looks like an amazing trip👍👍👍
Up until ~1960 there was a rapids on the Colorado River called Lava Rapids. The rock features that created the rapids were dynamited, and the river was dammed. There were 4 other rivers around the world with 'pristine wilderness' called, Lava North/South/East/West. Of these only 1 remain - Lava North (Alsek).

Last edited:
Looks like a beautiful trip. Had sections of the Nahanni on my list for canoeing for years -- but have lost all my canoeing partners to children and motor homes :) -- so lately was looking into a rafting trip which gets you to more river (at least with my white water skills :) ).

Looks like a beautiful trip. Had sections of the Nahanni on my list for canoeing for years -- but have lost all my canoeing partners to children and motor homes :) -- so lately was looking into a rafting trip which gets you to more river (at least with my white water skills :) ).
I have canoed the Nahanni in 2013 with the group 'BlackFeather'. They do many canoe and hiking trips in Arctic Canada. I have done 6 trips with them.

I have rafted the Firth River in 2019 and Alsek in 2022 with 'Canadian River Expeditions/Nahanni River Adventures'. The Firth has large herds of caribou if you time it right. Pierre Trudeau and his kids did a Nahanni canoe trip with them a few decades ago.

Camping experience is nice, rafting or canoe experience is not required. You can join them alone - a group of friends are not required.

Superb experience and series of pictures ,Mike.
Thanks for sharing,
My wife and I have done two rafting trips in our part of the world - one on the Zambezi river below the Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe ,and, the other on the Orange River in South Africa.
Your pictures bring back fond memories of these trips!
Gavin

I have canoed the Nahanni in 2013 with the group 'BlackFeather'. They do many canoe and hiking trips in Arctic Canada. I have done 6 trips with them.

I have rafted the Firth River in 2019 and Alsek in 2022 with 'Canadian River Expeditions/Nahanni River Adventures'. The Firth has large herds of caribou if you time it right. Pierre Trudeau and his kids did a Nahanni canoe trip with them a few decades ago.

Camping experience is nice, rafting or canoe experience is not required. You can join them alone - a group of friends are not required.
Excellent intel, thanks. Firth was (is?) on our river list, as well. And I recall the Trudeau trip; PET being a dedicated canoeist!

Back