Alternative travel approach for the 800 PF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ajrmd

As much as I appreciate the 800 PF, I'm always looking for strategies to travel more efficiently, maximizing my space and gear. One of the biggest drawbacks with the 800 PF is the oversized lens hood and necessity of protecting the large front element. While the aftermarket Zemlin lens hoods/caps seem to be popular, I dislike fumbling with snap on lens caps and even the shorter hoods, seem to take up a fair amount of bag space. The latest combination I have been experimenting with are:

1) Lenscoat XXL hoodie - with its rigid foam insert
2) Rolanpro M folding lens hood

Here are a few of my observations (and photos) from using the products so far. First, the Lenscoat hoodie is cost effective (~$20) product which affords reasonable protection for the front lens. The XXL size is spec'ed out to fit lenses with a diameter between 5.5-6.25" (The 800 PF is 5.6" in diameter). On the 800 PF, it's a fairly snug fit and the foam insert overlaps the entire lens diameter providing reasonable protection. Removing the hoodie is quick and easy though replacing it definitely requires two hands.

The folding lens hood appears well made, though it was difficult to know which would best fit the 800 PF (M or L). The M is purported to fit a Canon 500 f/4 IS II (5.7" D), Nikon 500 f/4 (5.5" D) so it seemed like the logical choice over the L which is made for larger diameter lenses. The hood can be rolled up to made to lay flat at 9"x7"x<1" and easily fits in the bottom of the bag, a pocket, or wedged in a cranny. It's clear that the hood was designed for the older, flatter style lenses with the distal ridge as opposed to the more radically tapered and smooth (tear drop shape) of the 800 PF. In fact, it appeared a little small to fit around the diameter of the lens and I am hoping with further use that it will stretch a bit to accommodate. One drawback is that it requires two hands and a stable platform (read tripod, table, etc.) for application. Nonetheless, it appeared to grip the lens fairly well and was sturdy enough to use on a tripod without falling off, loosening, demonstrating light leaks, etc. under normal conditions. Carrying the lens in the field with the hood attached was a bit more problematic as it could dislodge (relatively infrequent) when the hood was bumped or when the lens was carried close to the body on a sling strap. My assessment was that it was fine for tripod work though not as stable for hiking around. Further, at this time, I am unable to comment as to how it will perform in windy conditions. On a favorable note, although the hood protrudes fairly long (~7" past the front element)) it demonstrated no vignetting upon testing.

My general assessment is that this combination has performed reasonably well and has saved some significant space for me in my bag at a fairly economical price. I hope this proves useful for those seeking similar solutions.

Attachments

• Travel000.jpg
    Travel000.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Travel001.jpg
    Travel001.jpg
    689.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Travel002.jpg
    Travel002.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Travel003.jpg
    Travel003.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for sharing. I have the Lenscoat Travel hood for my 800pf which is essentially the same design as the Rolanpro. It does perform well for shooting and also is the best for travel in terms of size. However, I got the Zemlin 3.27" replacement hood and am happier with it. It is a few inches shorter and slightly slimmer than the Nikon hood and this seems to make enough difference in my bag.

I, too, have the LensCoat folding travel hood and have found it functions well. I do have it up for sale, though, as I am not traveling that much anymore.

Hey, thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with maximizing gear space for travel! It's always a challenge finding the right balance between protection and convenience, especially with bulky equipment like camera lenses.

Your setup sounds pretty ingenious, especially with the Lenscoat XXL hoodie and Rolanpro M folding lens hood combo. I can totally relate to the struggle of finding the perfect fit for lens accessories.

Speaking of gear and travel, I recently went on a photography trip to Thailand, and https://thaitriplover.com/ was my go-to resource for planning. I found some amazing hidden spots and local insights that made my trip unforgettable.

Last edited:
Back