Android Photos - Cloud Sync/Backup Service Options?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have never considered a cellphone camera anything for more than anything but a tool to use when I needed to take a photo for reference, so I have never given any thought to backing up my images as there really was no need. I still am not a fan of cellphone cameras, but at least the one on my relatively Samsung phone take reasonable photos/videos under the right conditions so I am now considering how to both get my images off the phone so I can have them backed up and also available in the cloud if need be. I am aware of all of the usual suspects (OneDrive, Google Photos, google Drive, Dropbox, Box) as well as all of their competitors (Sync, pCloud, Mega, etc.), but there are just too many opinions out there that I think need to be taken with a grain of salt. What I am looking for are any experiences, good or bad, form folks in the forum with using cloud sync/storage services. Big bonus points for any service that performs well all around and can also display a preview of a raw file (e.g. Dropbox) should I need to share one in the field. Usage should not be that heavy, but reliability on performance and function are important. I have had enough issues with programs like Snapbridge over the years that I have little patience for bad software or apps.

Thanks,

--Ken

I have never considered a cellphone camera anything for more than anything but a tool to use when I needed to take a photo for reference, so I have never given any thought to backing up my images as there really was no need. I still am not a fan of cellphone cameras, but at least the one on my relatively Samsung phone take reasonable photos/videos under the right conditions so I am now considering how to both get my images off the phone so I can have them backed up and also available in the cloud if need be. I am aware of all of the usual suspects (OneDrive, Google Photos, google Drive, Dropbox, Box) as well as all of their competitors (Sync, pCloud, Mega, etc.), but there are just too many opinions out there that I think need to be taken with a grain of salt. What I am looking for are any experiences, good or bad, form folks in the forum with using cloud sync/storage services. Big bonus points for any service that performs well all around and can also display a preview of a raw file (e.g. Dropbox) should I need to share one in the field. Usage should not be that heavy, but reliability on performance and function are important. I have had enough issues with programs like Snapbridge over the years that I have little patience for bad software or apps.

Thanks,

--Ken

Google Drive is working great for me.

Thanks, Any specific reason you chose Drive over Photos? I know each offers features the other does not have, and if I understand correctly, they do not integrate well, if at all.

--Ken
To be honest, I don't even know what Google Photos is. The Drive started out as overflow from my Gmail and since became my "cloud."

To be honest, I don't even know what Google Photos is. The Drive started out as overflow from my Gmail and since became my "cloud."
Photos is primarily image and video focused, but also stores/syncs files. It does not really handle other file types, and it primarily uses a timeline for organizing images rather than a traditional folder structure. It also offers some basic editing tools.

--Ken

Thanks,

--Ken
Are you using Lightroom Classic?
I use the Lightroom App in my phone and sync all images to LrC on my computer = backup on my computer and searchable.

Are you using Lightroom Classic?
I use the Lightroom App in my phone and sync all images to LrC on my computer = backup on my computer and searchable.
I am. But I am not sure that I am going to want all of these images in my LR ecosystem. There will need to be some sorting and culling, and what I decide to keep will eventually make its way into LRC. But the rest may not be discarded for a variety of reasons, so I'd like to have a place (or two) where these images can live outside of my phone and in the cloud so they can be accessible if need be and can be downloaded to drives to be backed up.

--Ken

Back