Angel Oak: 300-400 years old

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Butlerkid

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Southern Live Oak tree is a historical site and focal point of one of the City of Charleston's public parks. It is considered to be the largest Live Oak Tree east of the Mississippi estimating to be 300 to 400 years old. The tree is 65 feet high with a circumference of 25.5 feet, shading an area of 17,000 square feet.

I took these images in 2014 using a Nikon D7000 converted to IR. The swarms of mosquitos acted like transplants from Alaska! Although I used Picardin, long sleeves, etc. I was badly bitten on the hands and face. The next morning my eye was swollen shut from the bites!

KSP_0469.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

KSP_0472.jpg

KSP_0474.jpg

KSP_0484.jpg

Beautiful shots. I love shooting large trees, especially if you can get "inside" to shoot up and out. Well captured but really sorry about the mosquitos!

Last edited:
What an extraordinary tree. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, Bill, for commenting!
Beautiful shots. I love shooting large trees, especially if you can get "inside" to shoot up and out. Well captured but really sorry about the mosquitos!
Thanks! Yes, the mosquitos were relentless, but I was determined to try to get some "worthy" images of this wonderful grand ole tree!
Sometimes, you have to pay the price in order to get extraordinary photos, which these certainly are. Well done.
Appreciate the comment!
Great photos. Oh the sacrifices we make to get photographs.
What's a little blood and folks thinking my husband punched me? !!!!
I like the way the IR rendered this. Nicely composed as well. Good job.
Thanks, Dan. Yes, I really like IR and should truly try it more often!

All of these are absolutely beautiful, Karen, but #1...WOW! Absolutely love that one! And all of them remind me I should be breaking out my IR-modified D200 more often...

These are beautiful. Much better than mine. I was there when a lot of people were visiting it and just couldn’t workout how to get the tree without the people. Might have to revisit my images to see if any are salvageable…

These are beautiful. Much better than mine. I was there when a lot of people were visiting it and just couldn’t workout how to get the tree without the people. Might have to revisit my images to see if any are salvageable…
I won't try to photograph it again. The last time I was there they had surrounded the tree with LARGE yellow chains and BIG placards asking people to not climb on the tree. AND directly behind the tree is the road with cars parked all along it. Can't view the tree until 9 am.....so visiting on a cloudy day is practically a must to avoid blown out skies peaking through the tree. Totally ruined it for me as a photo op. No tripods allowed, even though it is outside. Some strange idea that tripods will harm the tree, but thousands of visitors walking around it are fine. :rolleyes:

All of these are absolutely beautiful, Karen, but #1...WOW! Absolutely love that one! And all of them remind me I should be breaking out my IR-modified D200 more often...
Thank you, Mike! I just happened to look at my IR images recently and had forgotten how these images had turned out! LOL!

Like you, I don't shoot my IR camera very much at all. And yet it is a great tool for hot, sunny days!

wowzer, what a tree! Amazing!!
Near my home we have (alleged) the largest size wise and longest living cottonwood tree. On private land but I can visit at will.

wowzer, what a tree! Amazing!!
Near my home we have (alleged) the largest size wise and longest living cottonwood tree. On private land but I can visit at will.
Thanks so much, Charles! Angel Oak is truly amazing.....but very unfriendly to photographers.

The Southern Live Oak tree is a historical site and focal point of one of the City of Charleston's public parks. It is considered to be the largest Live Oak Tree east of the Mississippi estimating to be 300 to 400 years old. The tree is 65 feet high with a circumference of 25.5 feet, shading an area of 17,000 square feet.

I took these images in 2014 using a Nikon D7000 converted to IR. The swarms of mosquitos acted like transplants from Alaska! Although I used Picardin, long sleeves, etc. I was badly bitten on the hands and face. The next morning my eye was swollen shut from the bites!

View attachment 44386

View attachment 44387

View attachment 44388

View attachment 44389
Reminds me of Maryland's oldest tree lost in a Storm a few years ago.

Maryland proclaimed the Wye Oak its symbolic state tree in 1941, and many residents felt strongly connected to it. At 382 feet in circumference at its crown, it covered nearly a third of an acre. Its remnants now sit in a warehouse 20 miles northwest of Wye Mills, where the oak had stood.

I love these shots Kareen,the branches so close to the ground amazing. It's too bad that you had to deal with the insects. This a a regular issue down here in South Florida.

Back