Angelbird CFE A

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Well I took the plunge after hearing great things about the card, reader and got a case. From the speed of shipping all the way from Austria, the personalization of the case for free, the packaging and over all build quality of everything they are clearly a premium brand. From order to my door was 4 days and that included free engraving.

Can’t wait to try it out!
IMG_6295.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Angelbird gets a bad rap with some folk but I have been using their type b cards for nearly a year now and am very happy with them. Excellent performance and reliability at a very good price. Also, their type B card reader is one of very few which runs USB 3.2 2x2 protocol so will read at the maximum read speed of the card, provided the computer it is plugged into is up to snuff.

I too have been using their type B cards for over a year now. I have 4 of the 512GB cards which I took to Africa last year. They operated flawlessly then and have done so on every occasion since then. Some of them Internet ”experts” bad mouthed them when they first came out as I don’t think they could handle the burst length ie write speed of the Delkins. I rarely shoot more than 2-3 sec bursts in my primary genre of bird photography and have never once been restricted by “buffer chug”. I shoot primarily HE* on a Nikon Z9. The card will write for over 10 secs in that mode in my non scientific test.

Well I took the plunge after hearing great things about the card, reader and got a case. From the speed of shipping all the way from Austria, the personalization of the case for free, the packaging and over all build quality of everything they are clearly a premium brand. From order to my door was 4 days and that included free engraving.

Can’t wait to try it out!
View attachment 60450
Hi David, any updates on how this is working out for you?

Hi David, any updates on how this is working out for you?
So far so good. I’ve only used it once and hope to get back out tomorrow. It’s crazy to see 9999 as the amount of images and to be shooting and it hasn’t changed yet. 9999 is as high as the counter can go. I shot 700 images in RAW and 5 hours of 4k60 and it still showed 9999. In 4K 60P 100 bit it has a capacity of 45 hours! A friend of mine has 2 of them and he shot over 5k frames in jpeg fine and it still showed 9999. Bottom line is I will never worry about running out of space again. I’m going to buy a second one so both of my a1’s have one. It’s kind of made the second card slot not needed as often with 160g cards I’ve had one fill and start writing to the other card before I had a chance to download cards. This won’t ever be an issue again.

So far so good. I’ve only used it once and hope to get back out tomorrow. It’s crazy to see 9999 as the amount of images and to be shooting and it hasn’t changed yet. 9999 is as high as the counter can go. I shot 700 images in RAW and 5 hours of 4k60 and it still showed 9999. In 4K 60P 100 bit it has a capacity of 45 hours! A friend of mine has 2 of them and he shot over 5k frames in jpeg fine and it still showed 9999. Bottom line is I will never worry about running out of space again. I’m going to buy a second one so both of my a1’s have one. It’s kind of made the second card slot not needed as often with 160g cards I’ve had one fill and start writing to the other card before I had a chance to download cards. This won’t ever be an issue again.
Thanks David - So a second card for overflow? 🙂

Good to hear positive things about the Angelbirds.
One thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on one is the fact that many reported it is hard to get out of the camera. The fit is so tight on a Z9, that it will not insert or release without a little elbow grease.

Very curious to learn what your experience is @ElenaH and @rwilso15

Good to hear positive things about the Angelbirds.
One thing that kept me from pulling the trigger on one is the fact that many reported it is hard to get out of the camera. The fit is so tight on a Z9, that it will not insert or release without a little elbow grease.

I would say that on initial insertion one or two samples were snug (I have four of the cards). But after a few cycles in and out they loosened up. Never has a card not gone in or have I had to revert to mechanical means to remove them.

Is anybody worried about all your eggs in one basket with the 1 TB cards? Does a larger capacity card mean more likely to corrupt? Having had cards and storage devices corrupt (Countless SanDisks, a Sony Type A Tough card in Colombia/January and then a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 4 TB SSD on my most recent trip to WY\CO/March), this worries me a bit. I have had the best luck with the Samsung SSD 2 and 1 TB for storage. In my workflow, I download after every shoot and then make a backup. Still.......so frustrating!

Is anybody worried about all your eggs in one basket with the 1 TB cards? Does a larger capacity card mean more likely to corrupt? Having had cards and storage devices corrupt (Countless SanDisks, a Sony Type A Tough card in Colombia/January and then a new Sandisk Extreme Pro 4 TB SSD on my most recent trip to WY\CO/March), this worries me a bit. I have had the best luck with the Samsung SSD 2 and 1 TB for storage. In my workflow, I download after every shoot and then make a backup. Still.......so frustrating!
I also download my cards daily. If shooting morning and then end of day I download in between. To be honest 1TB is overkill however 160 wasn’t enough and I often go into second card. I’ve got one Sony 320g card and it’s plenty but for the price I can get the 1TB and save money so why not. Rumor has it they are coming out with a 512 which one would guess would be half the price. Another thing to consider is if another card goes out at least with the 1TB you won’t have to worry about running out of space until you can replace the bad card.

I'd rather change cards and backup than use one big one. I don't fill cards to capacity either.

I think 1TB is overkill for all the non-video shooters.
BUT....the price is crazy....so crazy that it makes sense just to buy this 1TB card over a 2 pack of 160GB or a 320GB etc.
So I understand why people are jumping on this card.

If I didn't already have my set of 160GB cards, I'd have just bought this 1TB card instead.

Yes I'd be worried about losing 1TB worth of photos but I don't think many (any?) of us will be using it like that. I typically shoot between 100-250GB per day and I download and clear my cards every day. If I owned the 1TB I'd do the same so I'd never be at risk of losing 1TB of data. Also card corruption or file corruption is most common when the card is close to full. I would never get this card more than 1/3 full so risk of data corruption would be low.

If Anglebird does bring out a 512GB version at similar $/GB it will hopefully put pressure for the other companies to start lowering prices to reasonable levels. These cards should not demand $/GB 2x or more over CFe-B cards as they have been to date.

Actually I am very happy with my Angelbird card. It seems to be very robust. It doesn't fall apart and by high temperatures I've got a camera overheating warning and not a card overheating warning. Interestingly, I am Austrian and didn't know that angelbird is an Austrian company.

We normally check the price here in geizhals.at: https://geizhals.at/?fs=angelbird&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk
a screenshot shows that there are alerady the cards of second generation available:
1684332971710.png

I don't want to make some advertisment here (or do I? 😉 ) but for exaple, we can see here that 160G costs almost the same as 512G but the writing speed is double. It is only a part of what is listed under "Angelbird" , the offers are on 11 pages as you can see ;-)
Note, that there are other taxes in EU and in US will be other prices.

I don't think I would need the speed of the 160GB, as I shoot in HE*. So for me the 512 seems like a great card overall, with the option of shooting some 4k movies if needed.
that is exactly what I thought! I checked the difference between SE, SX and XT cards on angelbird website...

I can report back that the card reader is well worth the money. I’ve got two prograde readers and they get really hot and so do the cards. I’ve never had any issues but in general electronics getting hot is not great for long term durability.

The Angelbird reader doesn’t get hot at all and I’ve noticed a significant temperature reduction using it. My prograde readers will be left for backups at this point as there is no reason to use them.

Back