Angelbird CFExpress Cards and Nikon Z6ii - my positive experience

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MartyD

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I recently had "Hot Card" issues with my SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro CFE card while recording video and after doing some research I settled on replacing it with an AngelBird 160GB AV PRO SX for about $180. I was very impressed with the Angelbird support for pre sales questions. I had someone actually say "I will test that on our Z6ii tomorrow and let you know what I find" and is response is listed below. I believe the 160GB AV PRO SX is a good value but an even better value for the Z6/7 series might be the 512GB AV PRO AV card for $180, it does not have as fast of a sustained write speed (800MBs vs 1480MSs) but according to Angelbird it is plenty fast for the Z6ii. I might add a 512GB Angelbird to my CFE card selection as well prior to my summer trips. Angelbird has a variety of CFexpress card offering up to 4TB.

I just received a replacement from SanDisk for my SanDisk Pro 128GB CFE card and tried to do some speed comparisons. I do believe that the Angelbird CFE performs about 15%-20% faster in the Z6ii using some practical shooting speed comparison tests. The Angelbird CFE also runs much cooler in the camera and when uploading images to my computer. I have tried to reproduce the “Hot Card” issues on the Angelbird CFE but so far I have not been able to do so. I have never had any "Hot Card" issues when shooting stills.

Here is Angelbird’s response to my email. I asked about heat issues when recording video on the Z6ii and also why no CFE cards are marked as recommended on their site for the D500.

I tested the Z6II today with the 160 GB AV PRO SX and the 512GB AV PRO SE

- we measured the Temps of the Cards as well as the Camera Body with our FLIR Camera

- we got temperature Warnings on both Cards, when the Body was around 45° C inside the CF Card Compartment, 35-40°C on parts of the Body and 25 to 27 °C on the Cards itself which is actually nothing - they can go up to more than 90°C without any issues

And I am as well testing a GH6 with uninterrupted ProRes 422HQ for 2 hrs and it doesn't get really warm at all...

So, that said... The Z6II does get much warmer than a GH6 for example and it's temperature Warning does kick in very early. Which is actually not a bad thing if you aim for longevity of the Camera and it's Part. OTH I understand that it is annoying for you while filming, but there is not much we can do here, since it is Nikon here which defines the limit when the Camera starts to shut down.

As for your other Questions:

- The Write speed on the 512 GB card is way more than enough on the Z6II

- the D500 will be fine with most of our Cards, you need to know that the reason why these Cameras sometimes can have trouble with newer CFExpress B Cards is, that the Transition from XQD to CFExpress B was a kind of a bumpy ride for Card Manufacturers to make everything backwards compatible.

But overall, your D500 should be fine with either Cards.

Back