Animal and Bird Detection for Nikon DSLR?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If Nikon came up with a program/update for my D5 and D850 that can detect animal or bird's eyes, I would be more than happy to pay a premium for it.

Nikon could make a small fortune from people like me, for this DSLR software, if it's possible.

Would you be interested if Nikon developed it? How much would you pay?
This is highly unlikely…because the processor power, sensor limitations compared to today’s sensors and limited storage space for any upgraded firmware present problems that mostly cannot be worked around. The AF algorithms simply can’t run on the limited processor capabilities.

While the As don’t have mirrors…that isn’t the reason they’re more capable bodies. The reason is Moore’s Law and the better processors and sensors and the things that those allow the software engineers to do. No mirror means fewer mechanical parts and that’s also good…but it’s the electronics advances that make the difference, along with the wider Z mount and better optical design software running on similarly more powerful computers that make the Z lenses better across the board than the F mounts.

Back