Another A1 vs R3 vs Z9 shoot out !

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The real issue is that both Sony & Canon got their mirrorless act together through A9 series,R5/6 series before attempting a flagship & have largely succeeded.
Apart from hardware there were lot of software issues that got ironed out through real world testing by users of Sony & Canon under real world conditions & the result shows.
I am sure Nikon will also be taking the users feed back on Z9 seriously & hopefully smoothen the rough edges through FW upgrade

So I watched it...didn't regret it but found it very superficial. I didn't expect to learn much as I've owned the R5, A1, Z9 so I have a pretty good idea of how they all stack up. Haven't shot the R3 so I was a little surprised that Chelsea mentioned she thought the R5 would best the R3 and be on par with the Z9. A couple people I trust that have both R3 and R5 aren't even using their R5s anymore because the R3 is that much better in their opinion for bird photography despite the lack of MPs. Both these guys have RF600 lenses so can reach out to 1200 as needed on 24MPs which of course makes a difference.

That said, the wildlife conclusions they give in that brief little conclusion mirrors my opinions pretty close when I think about the A1 v Z9 v R5.

My 500mm PF and my tilt shift and my 200mm f/4 macro and DC lenses will not work on a Sony or a Canon camera and there are no equivalent lenses from Sony and only the tilt shift lenses with Canon.

The problem with all of these kinds of comparisons is that you can't really tell a lot form one quick and somewhat contrived shoot. Sports? Chelsea is not on a soccer pitch dribbling the ball, or on the court dunking the ball, or on a racing bike in a triathlon. The cars in a parking lot don't really mimic race cars on a track. LOL. How can you take it seriously when they try to hand hold the Nikon 600 f/4 for birds in flight?

Mark Smith handholds his Sony 600 GM and several members here do also. They claim it is easier to handle than the 200-600. I personally don't own one though so I don't know.

Yeah, meanwhile the Nikon is almost 2 pounds heavier than the Canon and Sony lenses used in the video. They made a point of saying how much heavier the Nikon lens is, thus it seems like comparing performance with that much of a difference doesn't make sense.

I have heard that the Sony 600 handles really well, and that it's partly from where the weight is distributed in the lens. Sony has done a great job with their recent long lens introductions. It will be interesting to see how Nikon's upcoming lenses handle and perform.

Says you can not switched to 120 FPS with a single button, but you can nearly can if you put 120 FPS in bank B and normally shot in bank B. Put a fn button and turn a dial.

Finished watching. Not very detailed, not thoughtful. Not click bait, nothing but superficial observations.

Last edited:
So many variables…. Which camera turns on faster? How many images are missed changing batteries? Will it survive if it starts raining? Which settings and strategy works best for each photographic scenario? AF accuracy and tenaciousness. Buffer and frame rate under which settings? Am I more likely to bring a smaller, lighter camera? Are my emotions affecting decision making (Brand loyalty)?

Says you can not switched to 120 FPS with a single button, but you can nearly can if you put 120 FPS in bank B and normally shot in bank B. Put a fn button and turn a dial.
Yeah, I really didn't get that comment as they inferred you had to menu dive to change but there is a dedicated Release Mode button on the top left...push that in and scroll the command dial and it quickly switches the FPS. The other thing is that for 30 and 120 FPS you need Release mode dial to not be at the High or Low setting but to be at the Quick Release Mode Selection setting which is the one that looks like a stack of frames without the L or H notation.

So you can keep your Release Mode dial at that "Quick Release Mode Selection" all the time and then just hit the Release Mode button on the top of that upper left dial and scroll to get between different FPS options. No menu diving involved at all.

Yeah, I really didn't get that comment as they inferred you had to menu dive to change but there is a dedicated Release Mode button on the top left...push that in and scroll the command dial and it quickly switches the FPS. The other thing is that for 30 and 120 FPS you need Release mode dial to not be at the High or Low setting but to be at the Quick Release Mode Selection setting which is the one that looks like a stack of frames without the L or H notation.

So you can keep your Release Mode dial at that "Quick Release Mode Selection" all the time and then just hit the Release Mode button on the top of that upper left dial and scroll to get between different FPS options. No menu diving involved at all.
Yup. good advise. I have my release mode set that way. Sort of makes the release mode dial redundant.

I found the video quite interesting, but accept every reviewer and comparison has its limitations.... Tony has shot the A1 for quite some time as has Chelsea with the R5 so i would assume they have fairly good understanding at this stage of those two systems..... from what i have seen , the R3 is not a significantly different af system set up wise to the R5 other than the eye tracking for switching subjects in frame...so i would trust she could get a feel of how that compared to the R3.....but of course its only their opinion. As for the other reviewer, i have no idea of his Nikon experience or how quick and detailed he is at learning a new camera...No review or reviewer is perfect, and everyone shoots differently....At least they have taken the time and effort to make the video, and i don't believe they ever deliberately try to mislead....why would they? They are also only testing a specific area of all three cameras, which they plainly state...its the first of their many comparisons of those 3 cameras. I used the R5 extensively till i sold it recently and switched to a Sony A1 ..... I couldn't live with rolling shutter any longer, tried a terrible copy of the RF600mm F4 and given the choice between the 24mp of the R3 and 50mp A1....In my style of action photography, the higher level of detail and cropability of the Sony is significant though i do miss some aspects of the Canon eye af system, which i preffered to the Sony in some ways.....If i could put aspects of those two cameras together it would be a killer....again, nothing is perfect..... I wait with interest for Steves A1 setup guide and views on the Z9 v A1...So far every youtube reviewer who has shot all of those cameras has come up with quite similar observations in terms of the af system...

There is no point in You Tube posts from this man. His preview of the Z9 which he hadn’t even used is a classic example of how not to do things. I’ll watch the Fro. I have much less respect for Tony.
“I don't believe they ever deliberately try to mislead....why would they?” Clickbait is a powerful reason for lots of people. Maybe it is also a belief that they can properly analyse and evaluate with without taking the time to fully explore all the options In depth.

I actually DON’T CARE which camera is “better” or faster or sexier from a marketing viewpoint. All that matters is does it have the flexibility to allow the user to take great images? I am certain that all of the cameras take great images. All I care about How will it help ME deal with those tricky situations I would love to be able to cope better with in the field?

All cameras at this level require the user to make choices and work out how to maximise the capabilities of the camera system of their choice. I use Nikon. I don’t plan to change. The skill and effort of the user with a given system and their ability to visualise the image then use the camera is what photography is actually about.

All that matters to me is how well I am able to bond with the camera system. I find the best images come when the camera gets out of the way and is flexible enough to work with me. Do viewers really look at a wonderful shot of a BIF and evaluate it based on the camera brand or on the content?

Back