Another A1 vs R3 vs Z9 shoot out !

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I feel the linear motors in the 100-400 do make it faster for extreme situations. When I try to get passerines in flight like finches and chickadees I will use either the 100-400 or 600 and skip the 200-600. However for most action the 200-600 is more than capable.

cool shots!!

With the 100-400
May 28, 2021-4.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
Fecal sac out.... by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
May 28, 2021.jpg by Bird/Wildlife Photos, on Flickr
Thanks and nice images...Best, Ivor

An excellent review. Reflects the shooting experience and sentiments I have much of the time.

The differences between these three cameras are all subject to what works for you.
Before i bought the Z9 i knew it was Sony 1st Canon 2nd Nikon 3rd but not a lot of difference between them.
The industry is still suffering sever decline, volume is being replaced with margin, bodies are only a 1 in 5 component as people eventually usually buy 5 lenses with a new body.
The industry is trying to survive a little longer by selling more lenses that for them have low cost big margins and can generate more models more often, for us lenses are the addictive component, the bodies are only the means.

Regardless of the Mirror Less revolution LOL its still 80% to 90% all dependent on YOU as to what results you get, Not just the gear the disease we often suffer from.

Are we really all that good with our skill sets...............

Jarrod Polan gets raged on by many yet he has always nailed it from the beginning sparing us of the scientific analysis and lorals that usually come to the same conclusion, he called it all ages ago............

This review with Northrop is a me to version, Chelsie running is cute, Polan did this random running focus test from day one mirror less hit the market, also the review by Northrop is no different to the initial look by DP review who are on the money early with out the overwhelming analysis by traditional's with their lab test.

The Z9 is a good camera, the A1 is slightly better in certain areas, the Canon is in between, this is being proven now.

The A1 II is looming, the R1 is tipped to be the wholly of wholly grails, LOOK OUT, these three new models will put the Z9 in 4th spot......before its fully rolled out.........

20 fps is more than enough or i would rather video. 30 fps is just more to go through, 120 fps is well something i would never use.

Video is replacing stills and that's indisputable so the only safe haven for now is for the industry to boost lens models going forward.

Last edited:
I did a A grade level Soccer shoot last night, the Z9 on a 300 2.8 VR II, and a D850 70-200 FL, overall it was excellent, i yet have to go through all the images, the D850 at 9fps had 300 images, the Z9 had 27 GIG of images mostly because it was the main camera., the D850 did the close in goal area and performed brilliantly, the D850 was set on 25 points NO TRACKING.

12800 iso on both cameras shooting F2.8 was very good and not an issue under outdoor LED lighting, single point DR also delivered.

The Z9 was used with 3D tracking and it was hit and miss a lot but i need to work on that somewhat.
The D6 from my colleague by comparison was defiantly just stickier.

I enjoyed the Z9 dynamic range colour, focus acquisition speed, while the D850 didn't have the FPS of the Z9 its image quality was just as good.

The take away's

The sweet spot focal range would have been better with a 100-400 in F2.8 meaning i could use just one camera.

Focus attack speed of the Z9 was excellent

12800 iso was completely fine for both cameras.

FPS on the Z9 was excellent.

Overall detail and image quality of both cameras was superb.

The tracking and lock on of the Z9 is something i really need to work on harder..............

Last edited:
I did a A grade level Soccer shoot last night, the Z9 on a 300 2.8 VR II, and a D850 70-200 FL, overall it was excellent, i yet have to go through all the images, the D850 at 9fps had 300 images, the Z9 had 27 GIG of images mostly because it was the main camera., the D850 did the close in goal area and performed brilliantly, the D850 was set on 25 points NO TRACKING.

12800 iso on both cameras shooting F2.8 was very good and not an issue under outdoor LED lighting, single point DR also delivered.

The Z9 was used with 3D tracking and it was hit and miss a lot but i need to work on that somewhat.
The D6 from my colleague by comparison was defiantly just stickier.

I enjoyed the Z9 dynamic range colour, focus acquisition speed, while the D850 didn't have the FPS of the Z9 its image quality was just as good.

The take away's

The sweet spot focal range would have been better with a 100-400 in F2.8 meaning i could use just one camera.

Focus attack speed of the Z9 was excellent

12800 iso was completely fine for both cameras.

FPS on the Z9 was excellent.

Overall detail and image quality of both cameras was superb.

The tracking and lock on of the Z9 is something i really need to work on harder..............
I’m not finding 3D by itself to be as useful as I had hoped before getting the camera. If I were to shoot soccer I would try wide area with subject detection and have 3D on another button to activate if desired after subject was acquired. 3D tracking itself needs some work. I would suggest trying the Wide Area modes as they stay locked on far better.

I’m not finding 3D by itself to be as useful as I had hoped before getting the camera. If I were to shoot soccer I would try wide area with subject detection and have 3D on another button to activate if desired after subject was acquired. 3D tracking itself needs some work. I would suggest trying the Wide Area modes as they stay locked on far better.

Will give it a go, but gee the D6 stick like Feces to a blanket and doesn't come off once its on, its so simple and accurate at night time soccer, basket ball, rugby.

In fact i am having to hire two D6 units for the next few events and leave the Z9 at home. Wild life stuff BIF the Z9 or pro mirro less cameras are not so challenged.

Back