Another Nikon Z 180-600 Review.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am on an expedition right now, in the Chilean Fjords. The z180-600 is, for me, too bulky to hop into zodiacs with, but from our ships deck, superb!
Yes, that is possible and depending on your subject matter, may be too much lens. I think the subject and distance better dictates the choice of lens. Depending on the circumstance, it could be a 70-200 (or something like that) and a 400 f/4.5 or 600 f/6.3 on the other.

One question I have. Since the Sony has focus breathing and at 600mm is only really 540mm what would happen if the Nikon were to zoom out to 540mm and do the comparison at that focus length? Right now he is comparing 540mm on the Sony vs 600mm on the Nikon. He also said the Nikon produces its best sharpness at 500mm so at 540 they may be a lot closer.

You are correct with respect to recentering though it is not something that one witnesses on either the Sony or Canon flagships. I suspect that the recentering effect is not visible on the Sony (in spite of using a "similar" sensor) because the Sony VR is nowhere in the league of the Nikon. The Canon R3 BIS has fewer pixels and the IS while it is solid, is not as good as the Nikon.

View attachment 67553
Nikon have over the years tended to say that Nikon VR is the only system that centres the image in the optical centre as the mirror lifted just before the exposure.

As far as I know they have not made this VR claim for mirrorless - though you can see it with ML with no rising mirror hiding the centering.

The theory seems to be that when VR can centre the VR group by (as an example) 2mm in any of the 4 directions, if it starts 1mm off centre with other systems it can only centre 1mm in that direction - unless re-centered as in Nikon.

The press release for the coming soon Canon 24-105 f2.8 seems may indicate similar pre exposure centering to Nikon.

Many seem to regard recent Nikon in lens VR as superior to other systems.

Back