Another Question…

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

In the past, when photographing BIF, I’ve use Shutter Priority, chosen the ISO myself, and let the camera choose the aperture. I am going to be tryin Manual Mode with Auto ISO for the first time…my question is in regard to Exposure Compensation when in this mode. If I’m shooting white birds and want to dial in -2/3…won’t the Auto ISO setting just automatically compensate or does the Z9 still recognize the requested exposure compensation? Thank you in advance for your insights!

In the past, when photographing BIF, I’ve use Shutter Priority, chosen the ISO myself, and let the camera choose the aperture. I am going to be tryin Manual Mode with Auto ISO for the first time…my question is in regard to Exposure Compensation when in this mode. If I’m shooting white birds and want to dial in -2/3…won’t the Auto ISO setting just automatically compensate or does the Z9 still recognize the requested exposure compensation? Thank you in advance for your insights!
In Manual mode with Auto ISO exposure compensation works just like any other automatic mode but the variable the exposure comp impacts is ISO and both Aperture and Shutter Speed stay where you set them.

So for instance if you dialed in say:

f/5.6 at 1/2500" and with no exposure compensation the camera chose ISO 800

But then you dialed in +1 stop of exposure compensation the camera would keep the same aperture and shutter speed but change the ISO to 1600 when the same scene filled the frame under the same lighting conditions.

So yes, exposure comp is honored in manual with auto ISO mode but the thing the exposure comp changes is ISO.

In Manual mode with Auto ISO exposure compensation works just like any other automatic mode but the variable the exposure comp impacts is ISO and both Aperture and Shutter Speed stay where you set them.

So for instance if you dialed in say:

f/5.6 at 1/2500" and with no exposure compensation the camera chose ISO 800

But then you dialed in +1 stop of exposure compensation the camera would keep the same aperture and shutter speed but change the ISO to 1600 when the same scene filled the frame under the same lighting conditions.

So yes, exposure comp is honored in manual with auto ISO mode but the thing the exposure comp changes is ISO.
Thank you SO much…deeply appreciated.

I'll just add on that if you run into an iso limit, for example base iso, you'd have to change SS or f number to make room for the EC to do its thing.

Last edited:
Back