another Z8 problem

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Z9 mount point looks very similar to the A1 mount point.
Before I get associated with trolling again, I am interested because I may want to add a Z8 + 500PF to my Sony A1+600GM set-up, as a light weight, super portable kit. I used the 500PF on the D500 for a few years, and that was a very good experience.

The Sony set-up is carried at the lens, but a Z8+500PF combo does not have ankers at the lens itself, so has to be carried via the camera strap lugs.
I know that Nikon intended to save weight by replacing some magnesium parts with a new composite. It may well be that this is a fisrt for this type of strap lug.
I use a strong "Eyelet" bolt screwed into the 1/4" lens plate (remove the lens foot). It is designed to use with a quick release dog-lead type clip on a camera sling (sorry cannot remember the brand). However I carry the 500 PF + D6 on this Eye-bolt off a pair of PeakDesign clips. Same with 400 f4.5S and the Z9.

Basically, there's is zero strain on the camera itself expect its weight on the lens mount.

I have a similar system on the 800 PF (using the lens- strap eyelets) and Z9. This is also the ideal way to carry and photograph with 2 rigs on respective slings.

It's be surprised this is a known thing and something wide ranging issue.

That said the very first thing I do is remove the triangle split rings on this lugs. I never attach a strap to the camera itself but directly to the lens foot via a QD swivel. Granted I'm a wildlife shooter and always have a long lens on my camera.

Before I get associated with trolling again, I am interested because I may want to add a Z8 + 500PF to my Sony A1+600GM set-up, as a light weight, super portable kit. I used the 500PF on the D500 for a few years, and that was a very good experience.

The Sony set-up is carried at the lens, but a Z8+500PF combo does not have ankers at the lens itself, so has to be carried via the camera strap lugs.
I know that Nikon intended to save weight by replacing some magnesium parts with a new composite. It may well be that this is a fisrt for this type of strap 500PF has a lens collar and can be carried by that.
The 500PF can be carried by the lens collar/plate, there are a number of straps and attachment methods to accomplish this. While the 500 PF isn’t a particularly heavy lens, to me you’re stressing the camera lugs when you carry heavier lenses using them.

The 500PF can be carried by the lens collar/plate, there are a number of straps and attachment methods to accomplish this. While the 500 PF isn’t a particularly heavy lens, to me you’re stressing the camera lugs when you carry heavier lenses using them.
The real reason to attach a strap to the lens foot prior to seeing this is to take the weight and pressure off the lens mount. Lens mounts have been known to bend under the weight of a heavy lens when the straps are attached to the camera lug points.

I know that Nikon intended to save weight by replacing some magnesium parts with a new composite. It may well be that this is a fisrt for this type of strap lug.
Umm, I carry my Z8 / 500 PF combo using a shoulder strap plugged into a QD slot on the lens foot attached to the 500 PF. This is the aftermarket lens foot that I use: Hejnar Photo Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF

Personally, I would never support this combo using straps attached to the camera.

I use a strong "Eyelet" bolt screwed into the 1/4" lens plate (remove the lens foot). It is designed to use with a quick release dog-lead type clip on a camera sling (sorry cannot remember the brand). However I carry the 500 PF + D6 on this Eye-bolt off a pair of PeakDesign clips. Same with 400 f4.5S and the Z9.

Basically, there's is zero strain on the camera itself expect its weight on the lens mount.

I have a similar system on the 800 PF (using the lens- strap eyelets) and Z9. This is also the ideal way to carry and photograph with 2 rigs on respective slings.
Yes, Ik know about the aftermarket replacement options for the lensfoot, but found it very comfortable to use the D500 strap, and support the 500PF with my left hand whilst shooting ánd whilst hiking. If taking care, you can easily hang the D500/500PF from the neck whilst standing still, and there is virtually no strain on the lens mount, as the combo face downwards. When shooting or hiking, it is important to support the lens with the left hand.

I used the combo like that for two years and it was absolutely fine.
It is important to know if the Z8 would best require your approach.

Last edited:
It is probably okay, or rather one gets away with handing a ILC + 1.2-1.5kg telephoto (70-200 f2.8, 500 PF, 400 f4.5S) off the sling mounts on the camera, but strain accumulates. More seriously if one trips and slips or similar and the camera rig is effectively dropped and then its drop halted on the sling..... I prepare for such events, so only carry a telephoto rig on the lens

ChrisM, the 500pf has a lens foot. I have owned one since it first came out and I’ve always carried it via the lens foot and never by my D850, D500, Z9, or Z8. The D850 and D500 have been sold and replaced by the Z9/8.

I would always carry a camera with a heavy lens by the lens foot. I wouldn't even use a strap attached to the foot as any slip or trip could render it a a pendulum, resulting in severe damage, to myself, as well as the camera.

I slipped on some wet rocks earlier this year and still had hold of my 200-500 by the foot when I hit the floor. It damaged the lens mount on my D500, but if it was on a strap, both the lens and camera would probably have been in pieces, at least on the inside.

ChrisM, the 500pf has a lens foot. I have owned one since it first came out and I’ve always carried it via the lens foot and never by my D850, D500, Z9, or Z8. The D850 and D500 have been sold and replaced by the Z9/8.
Yes, it has a lens foot, albeit a rather awkward one that needs care to avoid inadvertently separating it from the lens. I liked the stock foot though and never replaced it, but made sure the bolt was tightened firmly at all times.

This is not what I was referring to though, which was that the lens does not have strap lugs like a 500/4 or my 600/4 has, which facilitates the by far easiest way to carry a long lens/camera combo i.m.o.

Yes, it has a lens foot, albeit a rather awkward one that needs care to avoid inadvertently separating it from the lens. I liked the stock foot though and never replaced it, but made sure the bolt was tightened firmly at all times.

This is not what I was referring to though, which was that the lens does not have strap lugs like a 500/4 or my 600/4 has, which facilitates the by far easiest way to carry a long lens/camera combo i.m.o.
Ahh, I didn't pick up on that initially. But I have to say the 500 PF on either my Z8, or Z9 balances nicely at my hip while walking, when I use my BlackRapid shoulder strap plugged into the QD connector on the lens foot.

I modify Opt Tech straps by installing either one or two metal loops w/ QQ connectors. At times when carrying a body with somewhat heavy lens (70-200 f2.8 for example) I've attached one of the QD connectors to each of the lens foot AND body plate, for two points of attachment. Very secure, but not real comfortable.

I guess I don't have large enough family jewels to use the QD connector. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
I use this approach:

Screenshot 2023-07-07 at 3.57.17 PM.png

I guess I don't have large enough family jewels to use the QD connector. Seems like an accident waiting to happen.
I use this approach:
The QD connectors IIRC were not developed by Magpul (I think) for camera straps, but for rifle slings. They are pretty heavy and well made, and not really subject to accidental release, take a pretty determined press to release one. I like that RRS incorporated QD sockets in their plates. I like a camera free in my hands when taking pics, an attached strap is bothersome, so being able to very quickly release and reattach the strap is important to me. JMO.

The QD connectors IIRC were not developed by Magpul (I think) for camera straps, but for rifle slings. They are pretty heavy and well made, and not really subject to accidental release, take a pretty determined press to release one. I like that RRS incorporated QD sockets in their plates. I like a camera free in my hands when taking pics, an attached strap is bothersome, so being able to very quickly release and reattach the strap is important to me. JMO
That's the other side of the coin all right....but it's not that slow to unhook (not unscrew) the strap.
In fact I screw it directly into the 100-400S (no foot attached) if I'm walking w/o a monopod or tripod.
Choice is good!

I use this approach:

View attachment 65237
That’s my preferred connection. I admit getting QD connections for camera and lenses, but I haven’t the balls to actually trust them! The BR screw ins can’t unscrew themselves, and I use the Br safety tether too…so it’s doubly safe.

From my engineering background, and looking at the photos provided, the actual eyelet anchor assembly that goes into the camera seems to have a hole in it, where it seems there could or should also be an anchoring pin, or other method, assisting with the security of that eyelet assembly to the camera body. A possible pin appears to be missing, or other method of security of that eyelet assembly, and thus possibly why it came adrift from the camera more easily in this particular case. To pull the eyelet out of the camera with an anchoring pin would take a very considerable force and destroy the area around the eyelet anchor point of the camera body but there is no evidence of this. I doubt very much that it was just merely had a lens attached and that combined weight pulling the eyelet anchor from the camera whilst carrying it around. It looks like there was possibly some yanking force going on or the strap became caught on something and the owner pulled at it not realising it had possibly become snagged, not just the weight of a lens and carrying it around. However, if there is a pin that goes though the eyelet and that pin was missed during the construction of a particular camera (or dare I say batch of cameras) then it would be much easier to remove the eyelet assembly as the eyelet assembly is relying on the plastic "adhering or gluing" to the eyelet assembly shaft which is smooth due to the chrome plating and would thus have little adherence and thus come out quite easily. I would dare say with the way it is shown that there will be many more failures if it is indeed engineered this way, which I do not believe it would be. The point I am making is that the way the eyelet assembly is being shown in the photos really looks way under-engineered for such a duty and I can't believe that Nikon, or any decent engineer, would design it in such a way. If the anchor point assembly of the eyelet and camera is supposed to be able to take the weight of a lens and camera body, say the Z8 + 800 f.56 lens, the heaviest Nikon lens I know of, then it would be designed to take at least the combined weight plus 2.5 times that. It seems as though there is something missing from manufacture of that particular camera, like the aforementioned pin or other anchoring method to keep the eyelet assembly in place, or that there is something missing from the owners photos - did a part get lost like a pin through the eyelet assembly as I have postulated?

Last edited:
I doubt very much this is what Nikon said. Typical social media BS.
I was in my local Authorised Nikon Repair dealer dropping off my Z8 for the service advisory.
They mentioned the strap lugs coming off and suggested there may be another service advisory.
Have been waiting for somethng to be reported (yes social media does work) before I mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back