Antarctica: Zodiac Photography?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking for advice on preparation and planning to do photography from a Zodiac in Antarctica.

As suggested in the tours recommended gear, have purchased a 115L waterproof backpack for carrying a camera backpack and other items from ship to shore (where the 115L backpack will be droppped until the return trip to the ship). However, the suggestion to use this same 115L backpack on Zodiac excursions seems odd given the depth of the backpack and what I image to be a significant struggle to retrieve cameras from its depth while in motion on a Zodiac?

Shooting from a watercraft will be totally new, so have no experience from which to build.

My current thinking is to use two smaller waterproof bags that will just fit two cameras (full-frame with 24-70 and full-frame with 100-400) each in a soft case for protection from bumps, and each camera in separare waterproof bag. I imagine with shoulder staps on each bag and the bags thrown over each shoulder, getting in, around and out of the Zodiac is easily doable.

If someone with experience has a better suggestion, it would very much be appreciated. Thanks!

I did an Antarctica tour last December, and we were told that our weather was much better than normal (mix of clouds and sun, mostly light winds, and no rough seas in the Zodiacs). That likely influenced our experience in the Zodiacs.

I started the trip carrying all my gear in the Zodiac in a waterproof backpack, but like many others, moved to carrying one camera and lens just on a strap in the Zodiac and the second in the backpack. The biggest risk I saw was getting out of the Zodiac at shore, not while cruising. Your idea of separate small dry bags sounds much more workable to me for the Zodiac cruises.

Larry

I just shot from a Zodiac.....in very calm waters. There was STILL a lot of up and down movement that made keeping focus on the subject. REALLY think about your focus mode settings and what will work best for you in those conditions.

Regarding gear......I carried a Z8+100-400 on strap over my shoulder and a small backpack with Z9+400 f4.5, tele, room for jacket, extra battery, etc. That worked out well for me.

I also two two sets of the ThinkTank Hydrophobia in case of rain. That way both cameras set ups were protected from the elements.

I just shot from a Zodiac.....in very calm waters. There was STILL a lot of up and down movement that made keeping focus on the subject. REALLY think about your focus mode settings and what will work best for you in those conditions.

Regarding gear......I carried a Z8+100-400 on strap over my shoulder and a small backpack with Z9+400 f4.5, tele, room for jacket, extra battery, etc. That worked out well for me.

I also two two sets of the ThinkTank Hydrophobia in case of rain. That way both cameras set ups were protected from the elements.
The trip is in October and most likely the water will be less than calm... I had not considered using the Think Tank rain covers I will be carrying on the trip as potential protection while on the Zodiac. Great suggestion. I had considered a small water repellent backpack, but have imagined the possiblity of getting totally soaked by wind and spray is very real... so serious water protection is needed? Thus my leaning towards waterproof bags. I'm often guilty of overkill. Is this another example?

I frequently shoot from an inflatable boat. Carrying individual cameras in dry bags with shoulder straps works well IMO. You can put any small things like spare batteries, cards, etc, in the bottom of the bag. I just use a simple, inexpensive drybag fitted with a closed cell foam liner that I cut out from a camp sleeping pad. Two disks of foam the same diameter as the bag go in the bottom and a piece cut the same length as the circumference of the bag lines the full length of it.

One comment on boating safety. If you do use a backpack only put one strap over your shoulder while in the boat and/or during entry/exit. If you fall overboard with the backpack on it can either drag you under or if waterproof float you face down. It's virtually impossible to get the pack off if you have both straps over your shoulders.

In general, be sure to leave a camera and lens in your cabin. Just in case of boat spill in rough water, you don't want the entire trip ruined. I like to separate my gear when on water. You might make a different decision if conditions are calm - but that can be the day of the trip.

Dam makes a good point - be prepared to let go of your backpack if you end up in the water. Using a single strap over one shoulder is good safety.

I'd travel a bit lighter for a first visit. The Z8, 24-70, and 100-400 makes a lot of sense. I'd leave the second camera behind along with a backup lens or two. If needed, get a 70-300 and FTZ as a backup kit.

I do a lot of canoeing on flat water. I may take chances, but I limit the amount of gear at risk. The highest risk is getting in and out of the boat, or straining for an unusual position such as to get a shot over your shoulder or a shot that requires leaning. Keep your center of gravity low and take your time. You always have enough time to avoid rushing - or you were too late anyway.

A lot will depend on the actual trip conditions and what is offered. My trips were an adventure. Rough waters were common. We definitely got swamped during some zodiac trips to shore. A ride during a snowstorm left all of us rather wet and cold (just damp under the rain gear). We got great photos though. From ship to shore I would definitely want a dry bag. There is always a chance someone could drop your bag in the water during the bag brigade. A lot depends on the landing conditions at shore. I once ended up chest deep in the water due to an unexpected wave.

Personally I would not want to change lenses in the zodiac unless it was really something special. Carry two cameras if you want two lenses. I think after your first ride you will have a good idea what to take on future rides.

Do NOT leave your camera gear on the bed in the cabin unattended. You don't want it falling off the bed if a wave hits.

I expect todays trips are a bit different from what I experienced given the new rules on ships and access. I just know weather can be unpredictable, especially lately. It sounds like my trip might have involved more "fun" that what is common now, but I loved every second of that trip!

One thing not mentioned here is the use of a dry bag for the camera gear. You will definitely want to place your cameras and lenses in a dry bag before reentering the ship because of the issue with condensation. You will need to leave the gear in the dry bag and let it warm up slowly in your quarters; otherwise, you are taking a chance of fogging the lenses and sensors. I saw "waterproof" lenses fog on the internal glass becsuse of the sudden change in temperature. A few hours in a dry bag could have eliminated the problem. Sure can screw up a great trip!

My thanks to each of You!
I've got a much much better sense of what to expect and how to better prepare... my level of uncertainty has dropped into a much more comfortable zone.
Again, thank you for taking the time to offer some guidance.

A Zodiak in Antarctica in October can be desperately cold. Factor in that you will be wearing lots of bulky clothing and maybe two pairs of gloves.

Condensation when returning to the cabin is a real issue, and can delay access to memory cards and batteries. When you return to the ship you can remove memory cards and batteries and put them in airtight plastic bags while on deck. They will come up to cabin temperature much more quickly than the gear in a camera bag, and you will be quicker to review images and recharge batteries.

Back