Anti virus for P/C and Mac. Do you use or need them?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use a Mac primarily at home and don't bother with anti-virus, even though I work in infosec as my day job. It's not that Macs are magically less vulnerable, but instead it's that, generally, there is less malware written targeting Macs. And most malware that DOES impact Macs is distributed by reckless clicking, so you can avoid it pretty easily if you just don't click on suspicious stuff. That said, I do use AV on my work Macs, but that's more sensitive than anything I do on my home computer (AV is also part of our company's security standards, also).

On Windows, however, AV is pretty much a necessity. Windows systems are extremely vulnerable to malware, as they represent the bulk of OS installs worldwide and so the majority of attacks are written to attack them. Windows Defender is not enough. Most of the big, trusted companies will work fine for consumer level protection (Norton, McAfee, etc). I don't interact with consumer-level AV anymore, so I can't recommend one in specific, but you'll likely be fine with Norton.

Additionally, and possibly more important than AV, you need to stay on top of your Windows updates. The worst attacks generally come from running unpatched software. Set your OS to update automatically, weekly if possible, and don't put off updates if they require a reboot more than a day or so. Make sure any software you use is also updated regularly, too.

Keep your systems and software updated, maintain AV on your Windows box, don't click on suspicious links or open suspicious emails, don't download off shady websites, and you'll likely never have a problem with bad actors and malicious software.

Definitely agree that Macs have traditionally been less of a target, but not immune from security holes. I worked in IT for twenty years, cyber security for seven of them.

Do you need anti-malware for a Mac? The responsible answer is "probably yes", kinda like if someone were to ask if they should have insurance on their camera gear. Practically, at this point in time, possibly not.

In many ways it's a risk decision like insurance. Anti-malware solutions are meant to reduce the impact of malware, but if your likelihood of compromise via malware or an unpatched system is very low, then it might be reasonable to accept the risk and forego an anti-malware solution. One way you might mitigate the risk without AV is to practice all the good security and backup practices. Staying up to date on patches, ensuring frequent offline backups, not reusing passwords, etc.

For PC, no, Windows 10 protection onwards is fine, maybe scan for Malware now and then with third part software, do not pay for virus protection though! For Mac in theory you should be good, some people do use third part protection, never felt the need.

Windows Defender is suitable, I personally would not install any Norton product as I have had too many issues with them.
Ensure whatever you use is updated on a daily basis if possible, I use Windows Update Minitool each time I turn on the computer.

I would suggest that some sort of Windows firewall control like Tinywall is also a must.
This is a good summary, I've been in the 'game' for 20+ years professionally, Norton in my opinion along with McAfee and a few others are often more a parasitic drain on your system. If you asked me the question 10 years ago, it would have been a different answer :)

Interesting to hear.
What made it change?
It really hasn't much, your previous post referencing MB was spot on. Anyone with Norton, save yourself some money and put it towards your next camera or lens purchase. Over the years I have personally had to rebuild computers due to damage which Norton had caused, I joke you not, never mind some of the infections it has missed.

Windows defender is fine for most people. I've used ESET for quite awhile now and am happy with it's extras. I had a very bad experience with Norton and my first PC back in the 90's. To say it soured me on Norton is an understatement.

... One way you might mitigate the risk without AV is to practice all the good security and backup practices. Staying up to date on patches, ensuring frequent offline backups, not reusing passwords, etc.
Sage advice, even if running AV software.

A very important rule to follow is avoid web sites that may be little more than a front for a back door into your system. Before you visit a site, do some research on it.

And while we're discussing AV for computers, I'll mention that ransomware can be applied to anything that relies upon software to operate. Which means just about everything, these days; including cars and cameras. So watch what computer you use to read your camera cards.

A tip I found very helpful on my mac

1. Create an admin user account - Mine is RichAdmin
2. Create an individual user acount w/o admin privileges - Mine is Rich
3. I run from my Rich account. When I need to install software I need to login into my Admin account.
4. If I accidentally load a virus or other evil program, it can not install itself unless I enter my admin account info.

A bit of headache but worth insurance.

There are a lot of risks beyond just viruses. Phishing, data harvesting, and other types of exploits are major risks that are largely prevented with anti-virus and security software. Probably the biggest risk is clicking on a link that takes you to a malicious website. Some of them are quite good.

If you use the internet for search or use email, you probably need to have security software which includes anti-virus and internet protection. There are a lot of options - all better than nothing. Using a Mac does not eliminate the problem. Years ago when their market share was smaller, the risk was low. But now hackers find any vulnerability or opportunity for an exploit.

What Eric said. At least use the protection provided by your operating system! Depending on your habits it can be enough. You can go many years without a problem, until one suddenly, unexpectedly bites you in the a... Even computer "experts" have been known to get caught.

It's interesting to see people thinking they have never had a security issue. The whole idea of hacking someone is to get in, collect the info, and get out without anyone knowing. Unless of course its ransom ware. If you know you have had a security breech then they have failed. The first you would know about it is when someone starts using you CC, a bill collector calls about a loan not being paid etc....There is not going to be a big flashing icon on your screen saying "haha we just stole your info, and now we are going to go out and start using your CC". Security is like an onion. It works in layers. During the lock down my router was attacked 150+ time a week, now that has dropped off to 15 - 20 times a week. The first thing is I have changed my routers name to something that doesn't tell an attacker its manufacture/model. I run a TP package on the router exempting my apple TV's, and speakers. As inspecting that many packets may overload the processor. Once every 24 hrs I do a checksum scan on my router to see that its hasn't been modified, or have had additional software installed. Hackers don't have to access your computer. On my computer I run Intego virus/firewall. I use the third party firewall on my Mac because Apple's firewall only monitors/blocks incoming connections. NetBarrier monitors/blocks incoming & outgoing. Of course I've changed the names on all my devices so that if anyone can see them they don't identify themselves providing a hacker will all the info they need to access the device. There is good news about people being clueless about security. As the saying goes " You don't have to outrun the bear, only the guy next to you". For hackers it's like taking candy away from babies, they don't waste their time trying to get around security, unless you are targeted for some reason. The only saving grace for someone not bothering with security is that there are so many of you there is a good chance hackers will never get around to you.

Security is like an onion. It works in layers. During the lock down my router was attacked 150+ time a week, now that has dropped off to 15 - 20 times a week. The first thing is I have changed my routers name to something that doesn't tell an attacker its manufacture/model.

Good stuff.

Our cable/internet routers are the 1st layer of the onion and too frequently overlooked. The routers have a builtin hardware firewall that is the 1st layer of intrusion defense.

The router's factory default settings for it's admin name and password should be changed to different name and strong password as soon as router is installed. The factory defaults are widely known and easy targets.

After the admin login info is changed the router's firmware should be checked and updated if available - if not, important security firmware updates for the router may go uninstalled.

After the router is tightened down the OS's anti-virus/malware checker, etc. and belt-and-suspenders firewall are the 2nd layer and very adequate for most consumer systems. The computer's user is usually responsible for most security breaches.

Many years ago, Norton (which was founded by Peter Norton) was an excellent product. In 1990 it was sold to Symantec which is now owned by Gen Digital. My experience on Windows with the utilities and antivirus software before Symantec was excellent. After the acquisition is was a continuous downhill slide. Based on that, I would avoid it. The baked in Windows Security along with a dash of common sense when on the web and with email should be sufficient. On the Mac side, I used to run naked, but for the last several years I have been using Sophos and have found it to be lightweight in terms of resources and unobtrusive.

... The whole idea of hacking someone is to get in, collect the info, and get out without anyone knowing. Unless of course its ransom ware. If you know you have had a security breech then they have failed. The first you would know about it is when someone starts using you CC, a bill collector calls about a loan not being paid etc....There is not going to be a big flashing icon on your screen saying "haha we just stole your info, and now we are going to go out and start using your CC". Security is like an onion. It works in layers. During the lock down my router was attacked 150+ time a week, now that has dropped off to 15 - 20 times a week. The first thing is I have changed my routers name to something that doesn't tell an attacker its manufacture/model. I run a TP package on the router exempting my apple TV's, and speakers. As inspecting that many packets may overload the processor. ....

During the last few years, I have seen many more ransomware attacks and credential thefts; financial accounts are the top targets. What I don't know may really hurt me in the wallet. lol.

When it comes to personal computer safety, I find layered & compartmental set-up works better: router, internal LAN, offline & online, and cold storage.

Oliver

PS: I find it amusing to talk about computer safety in a photography forum, or perhaps many geeks are photographers in their alter egos. :unsure:

As far as A/V vendors, they all pretty much do the same thing & are constantly coming out with new bells & whistles....I am not a fan of buying the latest greatest when they first come out. Instead of looking at vendors, look at their track record for pushing out a fix when there is an outbreak of a new virus....Most malware/hacker folks like to push their crap out on weekends (particularly Sunday).....creates more havoc on a Monday AM. I personally have my scans set to run every 24 hours starting at 3 AM, when I'm sleeping. Every Monday AM, my system is rebooted & low level scans that can only be done at bootup check the BIOS/CMOS for any changes. VPN, yes I use one, but heres a thing to look at. Each VPN vendor will have "logs" of all transactions. The logs are maintained on servers. Almost every VPN vendor have chosen to keep the log servers in other countries...A lot of the vendors will not tell you what those countries are if you ask or cite "For security reasons". So now you have an individual or foreign companies able to see what transactions you did.

I've used Norton 360 for years on a couple of Macs and PCs. No issues so long as you don't turn on Norton Secure VPN on your Mac... it stops me connecting to the internet, so I guess that's pretty well protected...but. pain in the bum 😂😂😂

Back