Any hope? Ocean got me and my camera this morning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

I was out shooting seascapes this morning when an unexpected wave hit me and me Nikon D850. Took battery, cards, etc. out immediately and dried it out but camera does not turn on.

Any hope or is all lost?

Salt water on any contacts or key parts can be a big problem. Suggest you get to a repair center quickly yo see if it can be cleaned up. The longer you wait the less chance you have, if you have a chance at all. Maybe some has a different opinion of recommendation.
My experience was with a Nikon1 J3 that was caught in a leaking underwater housing while diving. I cleaned it and dried it and it worked for a few days then died. Similar experience as other divers with wet cameras. Once you get saltwater into the electronics it is hard to clean it out.

The following may or may not help. FWIW:
Years ago when I was racing outboard powerboats, whenever we dunked an engine in saltwater (yes it happened more than once) my mechanic immediately completely submerged the engine in fresh water. Then disassembled it completely - down to every nut and bolt, cleaned and reassembled with new electronics (you can’t retrieve any electronics that have been under saltwater). In every case we ran those engines again with no adverse effects. I know that if I were unfortunate enough to submerge a camera in salt, I’d drop it in a bucket of freshwater as soon as possible, and take it to Mr Nikon rapidly.

I dropped a camera in salt water once. Called Nikon to see what to do, and they said send it in right away. I did that, and the service people immediately said it was unrepairable. So I'd say send it in, but little hope.

Back