Any idea on what bird this is?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DavidT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am thinking I photographed a Red-tailed Hawk but I am not 100% sure. Anyone know?
_A1A3089-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful image. Well done! My Merlin Bird ID app identifies it as a Red-tailed Hawk.
Ugh, I'm so back and forth on this bird. The arrow points to what is likely it's belly belt and and the lack of any red inside the circle makes me go back to RTHA (instead of imm. RSHA). I think I agree with Merlin now. Merlin has a way to go, but it's definitely getting better.

Screenshot_20220421-132957_Brave~3.jpg

Last edited:
Fairly certain it's an immature-but-maturing Red-shouldered Hawk since you can see the chest transitioning to a burnt orange instead of the purer white of a Red-tailed. Great photo.

dtibbals' bird is an immature Red-tailed Hawk. The unmarked breast eliminates Red-shouldered Hawk and Cooper's Hawk. Examples of immature birds:

butlin05.jpg

The bill and the clear breast of dtibbals' bird eliminate any Accipiter species:
acccoo03.jpg

accgen01.jpg

Red-tailed Hawk plumage is highly variable, from the very pale eastern birds to dark chocolate brown (immature shown here), so the breast color by itself does not point toward or away from Red-tailed Hawk. In this photo, things to look for include the unmarked breast with darker belly band (eliminates both Red-shouldered and Cooper's) and the faint thin tail bands, which would be broad distinct bands if it were a Red-shouldered Hawk of any age:

butjam25.jpg

I'd be happy to discuss any of the I.D. points of these birds.

Last edited:
Ugh, I'm so back and forth on this bird. The arrow points to what is likely it's belly belt and and the lack of any red inside the circle makes me go back to RTHA (instead of imm. RSHA). I think I agree with Merlin now. Merlin has a way to go, but it's definitely getting better.

View attachment 36817
I'd need a much more distinct belly band to indicate red-tailed. They would not have the reddish tan coloring on the breast but more dark brown spots as a juvenile. They are also noticeably larger than other hawks.

The reddish tan breast is classic coloring of a red shouldered hawk. It's also consistent with the size. Juvenile Cooper's Hawks have similar coloring and a noticeably smaller size and long tail. The yellow eye color and shape of the brow suggests juvenile Cooper's to me.

Cooper's also tend to perch lower - on a deck or fence while a red-shouldered perches 25-30 feet up in a tree or higher at tree tops. Red Tailed hawks tend to be large, so the perch in tree tops.

I'd need a much more distinct belly band to indicate red-tailed. They would not have the reddish tan coloring on the breast but more dark brown spots as a juvenile. They are also noticeably larger than other hawks.

The reddish tan breast is classic coloring of a red shouldered hawk. It's also consistent with the size. Juvenile Cooper's Hawks have similar coloring and a noticeably smaller size and long tail. The yellow eye color and shape of the brow suggests juvenile Cooper's to me.

Cooper's also tend to perch lower - on a deck or fence while a red-shouldered perches 25-30 feet up in a tree or higher at tree tops. Red Tailed hawks tend to be large, so the perch in tree tops.

This is an immature dark morph Red-tailed Hawk. Note the dark breast; you can see the tail does not have the broad bands of a Red-shouldered Hawk. There is a lot of plumage variation in Red-tailed Hawks.
butjam25.jpg

Cooper's Hawk would show much more streaking on the breast.
acccoo14.jpg

acccoo03.jpg

The bird in dtibbals' photo does not have nearly enough markings on the breast to be a Red-shouldered Hawk.
butlin05.jpg

Another Red-tailed Hawk plumage variation
butjam24.jpg

Last edited:
Another example of Red-tailed Hawk plumage variation, this bird is Jack, a non-releasable captive at the UC Davis California Raptor Center. At the time he was photographed he was a young adult male with a bright red tail. Note the breast is not entirely clear of markings and is a rufous color. Also note the head profile which is very similar to that of the bird in dtibbals' photo.

butjam14.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hut
Back