Any interest in a winter trip to Sax-Zim Bog?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Would be interested but my window is very small since I was going to add it on to another trip. Do you know what the best times to go to Sax-Zim bog? Also how would this compare to regions further north, like the Winnipeg area?

I'm not familiar with the best times but the naturalists leading the trip would determine this. As soon as I know more, I'll be sure to let everyone know. Thanks for your interest!
Best times are usually January and February. My wife and I skipped last winter because there was no snow.

Possibly interested and for those who have been it would be great to hear about gear, conditions, recommended clothing, etc.
Bring the longest lens you have. If an owl ends up close to the road, the crowds will quickly flush it farther back or completely away. Most owls are 75 yards or closer though. Daytime Temps in January and February are usually negative to positive teens or single digits. One year was -30 when we got there an hour before sunrise. Wear multiple layers with a heavy jacket. Typical cold winter clothing. Glasses will fog, and if you exhale when bringing a camera up to your face you will fog the viewfinder, so be mindful of that. Bring extra batteries and keep them in the inner layers next to your body. Drive around with the heat off to keep your gear the same temp as outside so you don't get fogging when you get out, or distortion from the lens elements cooling down. The last few years have been very busy (we skipped last year).
20220107_073112.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Greetings,
I'm loosely associated with a non-profit organization (Earth Spirit https://earthspiritedu.org/excursions/), based in Buffalo, NY, that offers very affordable, nature-based excursions to various interesting locations, such as Yellowstone NP, Okefenokee Swamp, Alaska, and the Everglades. I've participated in a couple of their trips, and they're invariably excellent. Earth Spirit is in the planning stages for a winter '24/'25 trip to Sax-Zim Bog, and I was wondering if anyone on this forum might be interested. I've always wanted to go to Sax-Zim to photograph Great Grey Owls, and this might be a great opportunity if you too had a similar interest. At the present time, I have no further details, so my inquiry is simply to gauge potential interest. As soon as I know more, I'll be sure to post the information.
Maybe

Would be interested but my window is very small since I was going to add it on to another trip. Do you know what the best times to go to Sax-Zim bog? Also how would this compare to regions further north, like the Winnipeg area?
I went in February for owls because I also wanted to get Snowy (which I did in nearby Superior, Wisconsin) but I imagine a lot depends on the weather conditions. I missed a previous February tour because of weather...

Bring the longest lens you have. If an owl ends up close to the road, the crowds will quickly flush it farther back or completely away. Most owls are 75 yards or closer though. Daytime Temps in January and February are usually negative to positive teens or single digits. One year was -30 when we got there an hour before sunrise. Wear multiple layers with a heavy jacket. Typical cold winter clothing. Glasses will fog, and if you exhale when bringing a camera up to your face you will fog the viewfinder, so be mindful of that. Bring extra batteries and keep them in the inner layers next to your body. Drive around with the heat off to keep your gear the same temp as outside so you don't get fogging when you get out, or distortion from the lens elements cooling down. The last few years have been very busy (we skipped last year). View attachment 91788
We must have been there the same year! My windshield cracked. I managed one good day and then the owls just vanished. One of the local guides I spoke with said the owls had headed back north to a place along the MN border. Still it was a good experience! Sometimes the Pine Martin are fun to shoot. Last year was an apparently good year for them. There are bird feeders around for some of the boreal species we dont have in my area. The Northern Hawk Owl was difficult but a great experience. You can join Telegram. People post sightings on there. It has become really crowded in the winter.

I have a friend who lives in Winnipeg and does some guiding in that area and north of there. Some years are good for Snowy, some for GGO. We planned a trip for this year but cancelled due to low numbers of both species. The takeaway: watch for numbers and plan accordingly for both locations. Heres a link to my trip:

We must have been there the same year! My windshield cracked. I managed one good day and then the owls just vanished. One of the local guides I spoke with said the owls had headed back north to a place along the MN border. Still it was a good experience! Sometimes the Pine Martin are fun to shoot. Last year was an apparently good year for them. There are bird feeders around for some of the boreal species we dont have in my area. The Northern Hawk Owl was difficult but a great experience. You can join Telegram. People post sightings on there. It has become really crowded in the winter.

I have a friend who lives in Winnipeg and does some guiding in that area and north of there. Some years are good for Snowy, some for GGO. We planned a trip for this year but cancelled due to low numbers of both species. The takeaway: watch for numbers and plan accordingly for both locations. Heres a link to my trip:
Great images, Kim!

Well done. and I agree about looking at irruptions etc. I missed a VERY good GGO year because weather stopped me from being able to fly in from New Orleans but got a very good (AFAICT) Snowy Owl year when I tried again. There were supposedly 12 around town, and I saw 7 in an hour... I will say the Great Gray Owl we had was very close and very calm. We also got the gyrfalcon that returned after many years but at that time we couldn't talk about it because the guide and his buddy was afraid of falconers & I was left with the impression that if you do see the gyrfalcon you should not be posting coordinates to eBird or anybody else who can't sit on a secret for a year or two...

Back